Bo Pelini watch (1 Viewer)

Domeination

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Does Orgeron get a new DC? Is there enough money to buy Bo out? If not, are we fated to another year of really bad D, or, at best, mediocre D?

I know the defense played better the past few weeks and forced a ton of turnovers but I just don't see Pelini being the guy.
They still gave up TONs of yards and lots of big plays. Still the worst defense in the country. You can't bring him back at that price with those results.

If you do bring him back CEO better have a guy on staff who could take over after a few games if the defense plays anywhere near like it did this year. We can't rely on our offense to score 50+ points a game. We have the talent to be a good defense again. I'm not sold on Pelini being the guy.
Maybe we could try another former LSU coordinator? Will Muschamp is available??? hmmmmm....

Yeah, if we had lost against Ole Miss (which was a real possibility) we would have been the first team in college history to lose a game and getting 6 turnovers (+5).....so the LSU defense either forces a turnover or gives up a TD....every drive....say no to Bo....

Good to hear you believe Pelini will be let go, Dude. Sounds like you have inside information.

I'll take back every nasty thing I said about Coach O if he can get us a truly talented defensive coordinator to make the Tigers legitimate again. I kept wondering if he really understood that his team was set back for years because of the woeful defense we saw in 2020. It was far more than just losing starters. LSU became a joke because of a hopeless defensive scheme that wasn't working.

I wouldn't mind another fresh minded coordinator to wake up our offense as well. I don't mind if we're not in the playoffs every year. But becoming as competitive as a Division III football program is completely unacceptable.

Buy out Pelini's contract and get the right DC for the job. There's too much talent on that roster not to dominate on Defense.

Buy out Pelini's contract and get the right DC for the job. There's too much talent on that roster not to dominate on Defense.
No one in their right mind expected defensive domination after the turnover of skilled players following the National Championship season.

But there was absolutely no excuse to have to witness the kind of epic collapse that took place in 2020. LSU recruits too well every year to be totally void of talent from one year to the next. This NEVER happens (to the extent we saw this season) to other top football programs around the country. What we saw this year was far more than just lack of experience. The problem is that these kids were asked to completely flip the switch on what was being taught during the Aranda tenure. Pelini & Aranda teach two completely different styles of defense.

Whatever possessed Orgeron to think he needed to reinvent the wheel still puzzles anyone who has two brain cells to rub together. The only chance of success for these new starters on defense would have been to build on what they were already learning. But (seriously) I knew our team was in trouble when Orgeron stated at the beginning of the season that this defense looked even better than in our championship season. There was ZERO chance of that being true and it was obviously the biggest sell job that we've seen at LSU in decades. After getting the head coaching job at LSU, Coach O said that he has learned from his mistakes. Well, he now has the perfect opportunity to prove that this really is true!

Apparently Scott Linehan is gone too.

Any rumors on who is being targeted as the new DC? I assume Muschamp will be up there, but anyone else?

No one in their right mind expected defensive domination after the turnover of skilled players following the National Championship season.

But there was absolutely no excuse to have to witness the kind of epic collapse that took place in 2020. LSU recruits too well every year to be totally void of talent from one year to the next. This NEVER happens (to the extent we saw this season) to other top football programs around the country. What we saw this year was far more than just lack of experience. The problem is that these kids were asked to completely flip the switch on what was being taught during the Aranda tenure. Pelini & Aranda teach two completely different styles of defense.

Whatever possessed Orgeron to think he needed to reinvent the wheel still puzzles anyone who has two brain cells to rub together. The only chance of success for these new starters on defense would have been to build on what they were already learning. But (seriously) I knew our team was in trouble when Orgeron stated at the beginning of the season that this defense looked even better than in our championship season. There was ZERO chance of that being true and it was obviously the biggest sell job that we've seen at LSU in decades. After getting the head coaching job at LSU, Coach O said that he has learned from his mistakes. Well, he now has the perfect opportunity to prove that this really is true!

Great post here and I agree with everything you said Bill.

I never understood the sudden switch. It needed to be a gradual transition that would take a year or two due to personnel changes. Was never gonna happen in a complete off season much less a shortened Covid one with a bunch of new players.

Now we need to go out and get a younger more creative coordinator. A teacher more like Aranda and not an old-school 'coach' per se.
Pelini refused to adapt his system to match his players and made very few in game adjustments to counter what the offense was doing.

We need someone more creative and flexible.

The budget at LSU for coaches is not in great shape, heck the budget at LSU for anything is not good now. Derek Mason might be the hire, no decision yet. Stoops in the mix too? I doubt they go after Muschamp.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom