Board Games....... (2 Viewers)

Risk for a quick game , Axis and Allies for more depth .

So Risk reminds me that I recently read about the Legacy series of games. I haven’t played them, but Risk and House on the Hill (above) both have versions. Basically you play through 10 or 15 scenarios and each has a permanent effect on the game - the rules can change, you can unlock new game pieces, cards, etc. So in the end, you end up with a (mostly) unique version of the game.

Like I said, I haven’t played one (and they’re expensive), but it seems like a cool concept.

Surprised nobody has mentioned "Life" an old school family friendly game. Monopoly, and Risk are also old favorites that can multiple players.

Surprised nobody has mentioned "Life" an old school family friendly game. Monopoly, and Risk are also old favorites that can multiple players.

in the landscape of today's board games, Life is pretty stale and simple for teens. There's a ton of family friendly games that are faster and more dynamic and just have more appeal these days. Monopoly's length is its biggest drawback, but the app version has gotten high reviews and we have neighbors that are big fans of it. Risk remains a really solid game and there are a number of variations, updates, licenses, etc. that feel like they offer more than the Life versions, which are really just re-skins.

I think one game that had a license update and changed the gameplay in a way that made it a bit more fun was the Harry Potter: Clue game. Clue's an okay game, but the changing of the rooms and the addition of the curse and character cards makes it a bit less stale.

Risk back in the day with my old friends from the hood. (have my original 80's copy.
Pictionary and Trivial Pursuit with the family when I was younger. I still have our original board from back in the late 80's..
Balderdash is still one of my favorites, but hard to find anyone who would actually play these days. (also our original copy from the early 90's)
Scruples was a fun one, but you can't play it with friends who's feelings get hurt easily. ( have our original 90's copy)
When I was a kid, I loved Statego..

But if the wife and I pay games with the friends, it's usually something like Battle of the Sexes or like 80's trivia board games..
This thread now has me wanting to get back to playing..
I just went and looked in my cabinet where all my board games are and realized I have 2 sets of the New Orleans Saints Superbowl 44 Monopoly. they have both been opened but they have never been used.. I wonder if they are worth anything?

Forgot to pimp my fellow heathen Stephen Woodford from Rationality Rules, although they are still fulfilling the kickstarter pledges, so I don't know when it'll go on sale for everyone.

My niece and nephew love board games. A few we have played:

Forbidden Island- cooperative game where you have to uncover a secret treasure before the temple floods, and then everyone has to escape.

Survive! - a favorite of mine. Up to four players. There is an island undergoing volcannic eruption. The payer must move as many of his pieces off the island before it explodes, to the safety of surrounding smaller islands. There are sharks, whales and sea monsters the player may control, to eat the other payers pieces .

Clue- was fun, but you said high schoolers so they are probably too old for that now.

With the right players, I would try Gloomhaven. Its a swords & sorcery game (like D&D). Supposed to be awesome.

A somewhat similar game to UNO is Phase 10 which is fun, but can last a long time. Another game is Blokus. It's a puzzle game and the idea is to be able to get all of the game pieces on the board.

Of course, there are the usual games we all have loved to play over the years, Monopoly, Operation, Risk, Battleship, Settlers of Catan, and others.

Mousetrap! Is like my favorite game ever when I was younger. I figured that would be worth a mention. Have fun!

We went to a small get together last night with friends. The hosts broke out some board games (Balderdash, so drawing game, etc).

It really was fun and different than just hanging out and talking. Despite not playing a board game in probably 15 years, I really enjoyed it.

We had some high schooler kids with us and it was fun to hang with them too in that format.

We are reciprocating the party in a few weeks and thought we’d try some too.

Does anyone on SR have any recommendations of simple and fun games t I could buy?

Cant be “adult” as we’ll have kids with us.

Thanks in advance,
Outback
didnt read the thread so not sure if it was mentioned. but this game is awesome. also if its just adults get the after dark one. that game with a few drinks is HILARIOUS. esp when some ppl cant draw are mixed with ones that can.

With the right players, I would try Gloomhaven. Its a swords & sorcery game (like D&D). Supposed to be awesome.

have not played it, but a neighbor has a game going on. It's huge and complex and just learning it is daunting. I am not ready for it. They had a group going weekly, before this COVID thing, and they were probably 30-40 hours into it.

I'd like to play at some point, but it's way too intense for me right now.

I know that they were using all sorts of organizers and some addons or something to help organize everything. Seeing a picture like this kinda scares me a little lol

CIdpx9U.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom