NFL Bob Costas confirms he got fired from the Super Bowl for talking about concussions (1 Viewer)

chank

Cajun Power!!!
Reaction score
https://news.avclub.com/bob-costas-confirms-he-got-fired-from-the-super-bowl-fo-1832491818/amp

dude’s 66, so it’s not like the choice to leave after 40 years with the network was entirely unprecedented—but it’s clear, even a year later, that he’s not happy with how the topic was handled. Meanwhile, it’s just one more clear indication that, while the NFL continues to be happy to pay lip service to the idea of making the game “safer,” it (or the networks who broadcast and profit alongside it) are still willing to bring the hammer down when someone starts talking about the fact that it’s still patently unsafe.

Last edited:
really. The nfl pays lip service but doesn’t really care. I’m utterly dumbfounded. It’s not like a helmet to helmet or direct hit to a helmet doesn’t have a distinctive sound or anything.

You know the NFL is corrupt when it makes you sympathetic to the likes of Bob Costas.

You know the NFL is corrupt when it makes you sympathetic to the likes of Bob Costas.

I’m still on the fence, wish he would have gotten fired long ago, he always thought his opinion mattered more than anyone else and felt the need to preach.

But yeah screw the NFL

Have to agree. Never liked him.
But to be fired for talking about concussions.
The shield has been tainted.

By the Commish again

I always liked Costas, but a few years ago he started making his time on SNF about his political views on guns and everything else under the sun. In my opinion, people tune into football games for football, not his political ideas.

This is another reason why I'm currently tuned into the AAF. Let's see if they can get it right.

Bob Costas has always struck me as a prig, someone who supposedly views himself as morally and intellectually superior to the people he works with, relatives and believes his views are so much more refined than everyone else's, and he acts and carries himself with this smug sense of entitlement. An elitist who suspects most other people of lower motives. But to be fired or terminated from a job at a network you've worked at for nearly 40 years for calling out the NFL's bullshirt, contradictory policy related to concussions or helmet-to-helmet hits makes it hard not to be on his side.

Couldn't care less about Costas. He never could resist foisting his personal politics on to sports fans. If he were a regular poster here, his posts would be sent to the PDB almost every day.

Lets face it.
Until the NFL gets serious a out helmet to helmet hits they don't care about player safety.
If a player goes out for concussion protocol test play should be reviewed.
Offending player on a helmet to helmet shout be out of the game as long as the player he hit.
That would stop most of these hits.

I saw the interview with Costas this morning on E: 60. I'm on the fence about this. I always liked Costas, but if he felt this strongly about the NFL then that makes him a hypocrite for taking the money and continuing with Sunday Night Football. I'd like to add that Goodell refusing an interview with him about head injury proves the clown theory. Actually clown is not a strong enough of a word for Goodell, but if I called him what I wanted to, I would be insulting a certain part of the female anatomy.

I don’t get it, why has Costas been lying about this forever?

I have read numerous articles about Costas saying it was a happy go lucky “mutual” agreement with NBC???

As far as concussions, every time I see Edelman thrown around on the football field like a rag doll, I think about the CTE that has to be inevitable. Then I wonder if the glory & the $$$ is worth growing old in a wheelchair, with food drooling down your chin.

And Brady, too. His wife goofed on one of the morning talk shows & said that Brady has concussions “almost every year.”

When I watched that video in the other thread, about Edelman on the Ellen Show, Ellen asked Edelman why they knock helmets together when they are celebrating & doesn’t that hurt? Edelman said, “well, you know, football players have a few screws missing.”

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom