NFL Bob Costas confirms he got fired from the Super Bowl for talking about concussions (1 Viewer)

LuvNola, Julian Edelman might want to take a good look at former Cowboys RB and NFL HOF Tony Dorsett current struggles with memory loss, occasional mood swings, forgetfulness(his wife and his children sometimes have to accompany him on trips to the supermarket, driving his cars, finding his car in large parking lots) Dorsett was asked in an CNN interview several years ago if he thought he had CTE, and he replied probably so. Dorsett was one of the most electrifying, multi-dimensional RBs of his era, basically Marshall Faulk of his time.

I know OJ Simpson has CTE, of course the inherent danger in him being diagnosed if that OJ can use CTE as his "devil made me do it" argument in explaining his violent temper tantrums, spousal abuse, drug use in the 1980s and early 90s and he'll probably convince some people that that affected his judgement in abusing Nicole Brown Simpson. Edelman if he's lucky might end up only having severe migraine headaches like Rodney Harrison has dealt with since he's retired, Dorsett's situation, as troubling as it is, pales in comparison to what Earl Campbell has gone through with not only his body broken down, but his mind, too.

LuvNola, Julian Edelman might want to take a good look at former Cowboys RB and NFL HOF Tony Dorsett current struggles with memory loss, occasional mood swings, forgetfulness(his wife and his children sometimes have to accompany him on trips to the supermarket, driving his cars, finding his car in large parking lots) Dorsett was asked in an CNN interview several years ago if he thought he had CTE, and he replied probably so. Dorsett was one of the most electrifying, multi-dimensional RBs of his era, basically Marshall Faulk of his time.

I know OJ Simpson has CTE, of course the inherent danger in him being diagnosed if that OJ can use CTE as his "devil made me do it" argument in explaining his violent temper tantrums, spousal abuse, drug use in the 1980s and early 90s and he'll probably convince some people that that affected his judgement in abusing Nicole Brown Simpson. Edelman if he's lucky might end up only having severe migraine headaches like Rodney Harrison has dealt with since he's retired, Dorsett's situation, as troubling as it is, pales in comparison to what Earl Campbell has gone through with not only his body broken down, but his mind, too.

Sometimes when I am driving along the ocean, I drive by Junior Seau’s house, & I think about him laying on the floor with a 357 Magnum to his chest.

His gorgeous ex-wife, 3 kids & his mom & dad are left to feel all of the pain.

I don’t know, the NFL is a bizarre business.

Aren't they all but supported by the NFL, being viewed as a feeder league?

Yes, to a certain degree, but they are a separate entity so they can make their own rules. The NFL doesn't control them, but the NFL realizes that it might be in their best interest to support AAF a bit.

I didn’t need another reason to hate Goodell but if this helps someone else to hate him, great.

**** Bob Costas. If that smug, arrogant ***** doesn't like football, that's fine - but he surely kept cashing those football-enhanced paychecks for decades after supposedly having misgivings about the game. If anyone needs to be called out for hypocrisy, it's him.

Beyond that, I really don't give a damn how he feels about the sport. Don't like it? Don't watch, and certainly don't profit from it while you simultaneously insinuate that we should feel ashamed for watching it. Everyone knows that football is dangerous, and it goes far beyond concussions and brain trauma in general. There are always going to be enough people willing to accept that risk for a chance at stardom and a paycheck most of us could never dream of. There are other professions more dangerous and deadly than football without the fanfare or the financial compensation that pro football offers. We don't hear Bob Costas going after these professions, and we never will, because there's nothing in it for him.

For all of the long term negative health outcomes that someone can latch onto, and in spite of how shady people like Roger Goodell and others at the league offices may be, there is far more "good" that comes from the NFL, its clubs, and its players, than bad. Smarmy ****-******* like Costas would do well to recognize that, and either keep their opinions to themselves, or support the continued effort to make the game safer. So glad that I don't have to listen to that political doucher on my TV set anymore. This story is nothing more than a desperation move by an unwillingly retired relic who wanted to feel relevant again. Just fade away, little guy.

Last edited:
really. The nfl pays lip service but doesn’t really care. I’m utterly dumbfounded. It’s not like a helmet to helmet or direct hit to a helmet doesn’t have a distinctive sound or anything.
Yeah but you know the game is played so fast that it is hard to make those types of calls. Especially bang bang cases Perfect example is the NFCCG

Sarcasm Sheldon

The NFL and player safety is one of the worlds biggest cases of smoke and mirrors....

Anytime there is the topic of concussion, I get this anger feeling at Goodell for using us during "alleged bounty gate scandal" as model to tell the whole world they are taking things seriously with concussion.

I still watch and enjoy the game but now with caveats....

1) If anything happens again to any team like it happened to us in a playoff game (a blatantly obviously conspired non-call), I will stop watching the NFL period. Once the game loses it's integrity it is not worth watching.
2) This is just another instance of the evil empire that is the NFL, I think most reasonable minded folks know that the human body is not designed to take the brutal physical punishment that NFL players go through. Yes, those players make the conscious choice to play and some of them make millions...but 10-30 years (if they live 30+ years after they leave the game they are one of the lucky ones) an inordinate % of them have serious medical issues, some like CTE are not fixable....I'm certainly not going to criticize Costas for suddenly showing he has a conscious....

My view of the NFL has changed a lot over the last 10 years or so, I still love to watch the game mind you, but I could survive just fine without it....just sayin...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom