Bob Seger, why did it take so long? (1 Viewer)

Seger was no Pink Floyd or even Bruce Springsteen in that as a songwriter, he wrote deep, memorable, existentialist-like lyrics for album themes like DSOM, the Wall, or Born to Run, The River, or Darkness on the Edge of Town, some of Bruce's best albums before he got too commercial and pop. He also wasn't this eccentric, edgy at times, quirky in others kind of guy like Elvis Costello who wrote songs that polarized listeners and audiences back in the day. Costello was banned from SNL for 15 years because he stopped playing "Less Than Zero, apologized to the audience, and then played "Radio, Radio", a song about corporate radio censorship of politically-themed songs, he had previously promised Lorne Michaels he wouldnt play the song on-air, which he dutifully reneged once the lights came on.

Seger could write a lot of good, topical songs that focused as much on his past growing up in Detroit to life on the road, or waxing nostalgic about great memories from his childhood or whimsical lifetime regrets. He's kind of an American Midwest Bryan Adams but more gutsy, soulful, more mature and thankfully, he never became pretentious. His songs talk to you and can engage you, but never talk over your head.

Last edited:
Seger was no Pink Floyd or even Bruce Springsteen in that as a songwriter, he wrote deep, memorable, existentialist-like lyrics for album themes like DSOM, the Wall, or Born to Run, The River, or Darkness on the Edge of Town, some of Bruce's best albums before he got too commercial and pop. He also wasn't this eccentric, edgy at times, quirky in others kind of guy like Elvis Costello who wrote songs that polarized listeners and audiences back in the day. Costello was banned from SNL for 15 years because he stopped playing "Less Than Zero, apologized to the audience, and then played "Radio, Radio", a song about corporate radio censorship of politically-themed songs, he had previously promised Lorne Michaels he wouldnt play the song on-air, which he dutifully reneged once the lights came on.

Seger could write a lot of good, topical songs that focused as much on his past growing up in Detroit to life on the road, or waxing nostalgic about great memories from his childhood or whimsical lifetime regrets. He's kind of an American Midwest Bryan Adams but more gutsy, soulful, more mature and thankfully, he never became pretentious. His songs talk to you and can engage you, but never talk over your head.

I have never got The Boss’ music, and I probably never will.

I do enjoy the hell out of some Elvis Costello. Radio, Radio is great, but I like Oliver’s Army. It’s catchy. It makes the kids dance.

Didn’t the Beastie Boys perform with Elvis Costello years later on SNL, or am I making that up?

Last edited:

"Radio, Radio" still sounds fresh and edgy to me today - still seems subversive. I can't help but singing it loudly - in that Elvis Costello voice, it's so fun.

They say you better listen to the voice of reason
But they don't give you any choice 'cause they think that it's treason
So you had better do as you are told
YOU BETTER LISTEN TO THE RADIO!

** organ riff **

Agreed I I’m not crazy about Seger but I like and appreciate him for exactly what he is...a Midwest slice of Americana type that made some pretty good albeit basic music...my tastes tend more to the fusion type bands.... I’ve recently retired and picked up the guitar again...learning some steely dan their songs even just the rhythm parts will tie your hands in knots...

Agreed I I’m not crazy about Seger but I like and appreciate him for exactly what he is...a Midwest slice of Americana type that made some pretty good albeit basic music...my tastes tend more to the fusion type bands.... I’ve recently retired and picked up the guitar again...learning some steely dan their songs even just the rhythm parts will tie your hands in knots...

Indeed. The rhythms, the jazz scales and chords, it's all very challenging.

I can play a few strummers, like Dirty Work, Pearl of the Quarter, My Old School, etc., but I don't have the fingerwork for the more complicated ones.

Always liked his music, especially the soulful songs like "Turn the page" and "We got the night".
Another artist I got into was Michael McDonald on his solo stuff. "Were would I be now" is a great soulful song. He was great with the Doobies, but his solo albums were really good.

Always loved Against the Wind and Night Moves. Another song I liked was on the soundtrack of Beverly Hills Cop 2, Shakedown. I learned about Seger through my Dad when I was a kid, but started listening again like 2 years ago. I'll listen every now and then these days. I've been listening to Metallica more than anything else lately. Go figure. Lol.

Always loved Against the Wind and Night Moves. Another song I liked was on the soundtrack of Beverly Hills Cop 2, Shakedown. I learned about Seger through my Dad when I was a kid, but started listening again like 2 years ago. I'll listen every now and then these days. I've been listening to Metallica more than anything else lately. Go figure. Lol.
Night Moves is the only song of his I consider special. I've always liked:

We weren't in love oh no far from it
We weren't searching for some pie in the sky summit
We were just young and restless and bored
Living by the sword
And we'd steal away every chance we could
To the backroom, the alley, the trusty woods
I used her she used me
But neither one cared
We were getting our share

That's good lyrics. I just find his music and delivery a bit standard and boring.

Not sure what year it was...My ex-sil is from Ann Arbor and her father sold his car to Bob Seger. I am sure it was before he got famous but I think one of the kids knew who he was.

Always thought his music was kind of meh. Not that I hate it. But most of his lyrics sound like something a 12 year old would write.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom