Bob Seger, why did it take so long? (1 Viewer)

I actually like a lot of his older stuff, and this one's always grabbed me. Kind of like Gimme Some Lovin' but a little edgier.

Many of Seger's songs are about aging, a subject that speaks to all of us at some point. I've always seen Seger as John Mellencamp's older, straighter brother.

I hate Old Time Rock & Roll. It wore out after Risky Business. I told the DJ at my first wedding if he played OTR&R (among other songs) he wasn't getting paid :hihi:

Last edited:
Not sure how i left this off my post on the first page, but i actually think Still the Same is one of Seger’s tunes that has aged the best.

I find it less appealing than some of the others. The structure of the song is interesting, there isn't really a traditional chorus - it's more two parts A-A-B-A, and then a coda that recycles the B part, which I guess is the hook. I like the walk down (Cmaj7 down to G) that is prominent throughout. I suppose the gambler imagery (not believed to be literally about a card player) is sort of cool. It's a well-crafted song, Seger is a strong songwriter.

I just prefer others. To each his own, it's a fine song. My wife likes it a lot so when it comes on, we listen to it.

I find it less appealing than some of the others. The structure of the song is interesting, there isn't really a traditional chorus - it's more two parts A-A-B-A, and then a coda that recycles the B part, which I guess is the hook. I like the walk down (Cmaj7 down to G) that is prominent throughout. I suppose the gambler imagery (not believed to be literally about a card player) is sort of cool. It's a well-crafted song, Seger is a strong songwriter.

I just prefer others. To each his own, it's a fine song. My wife likes it a lot so when it comes on, we listen to it.

I have still not been fortunate enough to see Seger live, and before today, i dont think I’d ever even watched clips of him performing.. but this clip is fascinating for a couple of reasons.. 1) If you watch for a few seconds starting at the 1:30 mark, and then again at the 2:15 mark- Seger actually seems to be kinda goofy for a rock star, but in the best possible way.. and 2) It obviously takes place in the late 70s in San Diego, becuase the freaking San Diego Chicken is in the audience at the very end of the clip.

I find it less appealing than some of the others.

So do I...but I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that one of my best friends used to seranade me with his version of it after practically every one of our racquetball sessions. His version went: "It's still the same, I beat you every ******* game...."

As an aside, I can't hear "Famous Final Scene" without thinking of Muhammad Ali. ABC Sports (I think) had a video cued up to that song with highlights of his career immediately after Larry Holmes whipped his arse in what I think was his last fight. That was the saddest sports event I've ever witnessed, and I've been watching Saints games since 1968. You could tell it broke Holmes' heart to do that to him.

Seger!

I, too, had a later-in-life Seger appreciation. Sure, when you get into classic rock in your mid to late teens, you listen to Seger like all the rest . . . but you don't appreciate him. For me, it was my wife, who insisted that Seger was great. Through that, I got much more into Seger and he's fantastic.

He played Smoothie King in New Orleans in 2011. My buddy was in the promotion company and scored some good seats, like floor 20th row or so. I didn't even have to pay for them. He was awesome. Just awesome.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/bob-...new-orleans-arena-new-orleans-la-bd3f90e.html

My wife has never seen him and she does love him, so I saw that he recently added tour-dates and he's coming to Charleston in May. I got a pair of sweet tix so she can see him. I was really hoping he was gonna play Jazz Fest, that would have been really cool.

Somewhat underappreciated fact: when Glenn Frey was signing in Seger's studio band in Detroit, Seger told him, "Man with your style, you have to go to LA." Frey took his advice, and moved west. Around that same time, down in Dallas, a chance meeting between Kenny Rogers and Don Henley led to the same result: Rogers told Henley to move to LA because he had a California sound. A few months later, Frey and Henley met and the rest is history. So in a way, we have Bob Seger and Kenny Rogers to thank for the Eagles.

Years, later, Seger was visiting Frey in LA (they remained friends) and Frey was singing a new composition he had - but he didn't have a hook/chorus yet. He played it for Seger and when he got to the chorus, Seger just sings back "There's gonna be a heartache tonight!" When the Eagles recorded the track (Long Run sessions), Seger came to the studio and sang backing vocals. The Eagles then returned the favor when Frey, Henley and Timothy Schmit sang on Fire Lake (Against the Wind sessions).
Another interesting tidbit is that Don Felder was Tom Petty's guitar teacher before Felder moved to L.A.

Was listening to /watching some Seger and came here to see if we had discussed him… as it turns out- we have .. i was thinking about how interesting it is that while ive gotten to see many of my musical heroes in concert- McCartney, Billy Joel, Paul Simon, Mellencamp, James Taylor, Hall & Oates- whenever im talking with someone about which concerts we’d like to see before i die, or before the artist dies- i always bring up names like Elton John, Fleetwood Mac and Neil Diamond (though he’s no longer touring).. but i somehow always leave off Bob Seger.. id like to rectify that and say that, for me , he is right up there with the other greats .

Night Moves is the only song of his I consider special. I've always liked:

We weren't in love oh no far from it
We weren't searching for some pie in the sky summit
We were just young and restless and bored
Living by the sword
And we'd steal away every chance we could
To the backroom, the alley, the trusty woods
I used her she used me
But neither one cared
We were getting our share

That's good lyrics. I just find his music and delivery a bit standard and boring.
Miss you old friend.

Was listening to /watching some Seger and came here to see if we had discussed him… as it turns out- we have .. i was thinking about how interesting it is that while ive gotten to see many of my musical heroes in concert- McCartney, Billy Joel, Paul Simon, Mellencamp, James Taylor, Hall & Oates- whenever im talking with someone about which concerts we’d like to see before i die, or before the artist dies- i always bring up names like Elton John, Fleetwood Mac and Neil Diamond (though he’s no longer touring).. but i somehow always leave off Bob Seger.. id like to rectify that and say that, for me , he is right up there with the other greats .
I was wondering what you thought of another mid-late 70's--early 80's band that had more then a few hit singles, several platinum albums during this same period but their song lyrics, album themes, topical matter sounded a bit quirky, a tad melodramatic at times, maybe silly to some, but on certain songs, Supertramp nailed it on "Logical Song", " Breakfast in America", "Give a Little Bit" but 40 years ago, most rock fans likely wouldn't know what the individual band members looked like, some would've been surprised they were a British band, they were viewed, percieved as one of the new, "corporate rock" faceless bands that would later go on to dominate the 80's rock industry but the band's founder, lead singer and song writer had some very clear, forward-thinking musical ideas.

Supertramp was the underrated of rock's "most underrated" bands of all time. Some critics, fans, even other rock contemporaries during their prime possibly viewed them as a "lightweight band", but when so many of Theismann songs still hold up so well 45 years later, it makes those claims seem even more ridiculous and hollow.

I was wondering what you thought of another mid-late 70's--early 80's band that had more then a few hit singles, several platinum albums during this same period but their song lyrics, album themes, topical matter sounded a bit quirky, a tad melodramatic at times, maybe silly to some, but on certain songs, Supertramp nailed it on "Logical Song", " Breakfast in America", "Give a Little Bit" but 40 years ago, most rock fans likely wouldn't know what the individual band members looked like, some would've been surprised they were a British band, they were viewed, percieved as one of the new, "corporate rock" faceless bands that would later go on to dominate the 80's rock industry but the band's founder, lead singer and song writer had some very clear, forward-thinking musical ideas.

Supertramp was the underrated of rock's "most underrated" bands of all time. Some critics, fans, even other rock contemporaries during their prime possibly viewed them as a "lightweight band", but when so many of Theismann songs still hold up so well 45 years later, it makes those claims seem even more ridiculous and hollow.

Funny, before i even got to the second paragraph of your post, the word i was thinking in re to SuperTramp was ‘underrated’.. so yeah, they should definitely get more love for the output they had, i like them a lot .

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom