Bobby Cox will retire as Braves skipper after the 2010 season (1 Viewer)

Saintman2884

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Love him, hate him, see him as one of the best MLB managers of all time, or at least his era, Bobby Cox has just announced that he will retire after the 2010 season. If we were to add up the entire length of his managerial career as Braves Manager it would close in at 20 years, not to mention a successful tenure with the Blue Jays in the mid 80's.

He's made a mark that will be hard to live up to once his successor is chosen. Other then the Utah Jazz, the Atlanta Braves have had one of the most stable and longest tenured FO's over the past 20-25 years. Bobby Cox made the Atlanta Braves the kings of the National League of the 1990's, he won a WS in 1995 and took his team to several WS appearances.

Along the way Greg Maddux, John Smotlz, and Tom Glavine raised the bar in terms of a dominating triumvirate pitching staff.

Too bad its not after this season. Sadly, the game passed Bobby years ago.

Too bad its not after this season. Sadly, the game passed Bobby years ago.

Clearly this post is in jest. The game hasn't passed Bobby in even the slightest bit. What's happened has been the failure of ownership to live up to the investment required to field a top team the way Ted Turner did.

Look out for the Braves next year, with a starting rotation of Hudson, Lowe, Vasquez, Jurgens, and Kawakami they should compete like the Braves of the 90's.

As much as I hate the Braves and Bobby Cox for repeatedly dismantling my Astros in the playoffs I have to respect Coach Cox for the long term quality of his ball clubs and the professionalism he managed with. He is right up there with Joe Torre and Tony LaRussa as the best managers of his era.

Earl Weaver is however the best of all time...

Game passed up Cox? Your kidding right? TWC and Liberty Media are just suck butt owners.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lowe, Vasquez or Kawakami will be traded in the offseason. Rotation will include Hanson, Hudson, Jurrjens and two of the three listed above.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom