Bobby Hebert: If Saints trade for Derek Carr, 'we still ain't winning nothing' (1 Viewer)

Trade our 2023 1st rd pick for a 2023 2nd and 2024 1st. Tank the season and get Caleb Williams for free. Draft Marvin Harrison jr. with the second first. Then you field a decent defense and Bengals(score alot of points) your way to the Chip.
No way Allen would intentionally tank the season. He's gonna be trying to keep his job. Why would he tank and not be around for the Caleb sweeps?

Serious question, in order to interview Carr has the Saints agreed to a draft pick compensation with the Raiders?

Has any word came out about that because Carr is still under contract with the Raiders, they would have to allow him to talk to other teams.
The Raiders gave him permission to speak with other teams. The compensation discussion will come later after he hashes things out with the team he chooses. That's my educated guess anyway.

McDaniels wants his own guy, so he is letting go of a multi time pro bowler? I mean, I guess he has his reasons. Maybe he knows that Aaron Rodgers is coming to town?

It seems strange to me, that a 31 year old multi time pro bowl quarterback isn’t able to garner more compensation.

I’m fine with bringing him in, but not at $40m (or having to give up draft capital). That money would be better served during up the roster that will need to carry a quarterback like Carr.
It’s hard to disagree with you because there has to be something there behind the scenes, now is that an injury, a failed power play, seriously eroding skills or is he unable to play within the boundaries of a highly structured and scripted offense? I am sure he wears that No. 4 because he looks up to someone that wore that number before him and is that what he visualizes himself as? If so I can see how that could have drove McDaniels enough to toss him but if he comes here are we going to abandon all of the percentage based things we like to do along with plays setup for players as a primary look using spacing concepts and just take it back to 2010-2016 gunslinger type offenses where we just play pinball and rip it all over the field? Is Allen’s risk adverse personality going to be ok with a system where we are throwing more picks and playing in more shootouts which take the shine off his defense?

I like Carr and I do think it’s an upgrade but like you said not for 40 mill and a first round pick. I am fine trading the pick don’t get me wrong he is better than what we could get at pick 29 but he needs to redo that deal and allow us to put the cast around him to win. He does that then we can talk about the 40 mill.

My real problem with all of this is again we lack a vision and a direction. What are we? What are we trying to be? Not to take a stroll down memory lane but Payton allways had a vision for what we were going to do and a roster was constructed accordingly. Gunslinger Drew load up on weapons and rack up points what’s a defense, declining Drew beef up the lines, play better defense, control the clock and cutdown turnovers. Here it feels almost like we are half into one era and half out of another era. We can’t be everything but we need to be something.

Hopefully if we do get Carr we become something it’s easier to build a roster if you have an identity at that spot.

Crazy how some people just gloss over McDaniels and his 0.378 career win percentage as a head coach. Like oh yeah, something must be wrong with Carr, couldn't possibly be his head coach that won less games than the interim did in 2021. McDaniels in 17 games won 6. Bisaccia in 12 games won 7.
I think McDaniels is a loser, and the Raiders made the wrong hire. That said, for the Raiders to be moving on from a 31 year old multi pro bowl quarterback does sound the alarms.

It's crazy to me how some of you think this team is so far away from contending that they should just tank or that they are capable of tanking. The last thing I want to watch is the final years of guys like Cam Jordan and Demario Davis wasted on a team trying to tank for an unknown commodity. With the current roster and coaching staff getting the number one pick won't be any easier than getting to the superbowl. There are so many teams that are infinitely less talented(3 in our division) the likelihood of this team being in a position to draft a franchise quarterback in the next couple years is slim to none. The division is a dumpster fire which makes a playoff home game all that more likely with a guy like Carr. I'd rather watch this team with 9-11 games and flirt with the playoffs the next few years than tank for a QB thinking we're getting Joe Burrow and we end up with Zach Wilson.

LOLOLOL. Now I think maybe we SHOULD get him. Hahaha. But no. Even that idiot knows it's dumb as xxxxx to go that direction. Take the hit for a year or two and find that franchise QB in the draft.
Yep. That blind squirrel just found his nut. He’s 💯 correct.

Completely fair.

Andy Dalton played well last year by Andy Dalton standards (and by PFF standards of making the proper reads, throws, etc).

Derek Carr could do that AND elevate a team to a couple wins by having better arm talent, etc.

But we still need to keep improving the roster to get anywhere significant.
The Dalton PFF rating makes no sense, but it’s probably the same for other QB’s. He is rated 81.0 overall as a passer in 2022, but only has two games rated 80+. His last game was a 48.3, and 7 of the remaining 14 games were rated below 70.

He didn’t have an overwhelming number of attempts in the two games he was 80+ in, if you weighted his scores with his attempts in each game he would probably be 70 or lower overall.

Besides that, he is ranked in a tier of 80+ rated QB’s with Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Tua, and Hurts. If he was anywhere near that good we wouldn’t be wasting our time with Carr, especially since Dalton is projected to be significantly cheaper.

An interesting aside about Dalton, in PFF’s QB review of the 2021 season, they mentioned Dalton as a QB who had too strong of a preference for throwing five-yard hitches (hitches 24% of all his throws with Chicago). Is it our scheme, or are those just the throws he prefers to make?

Last edited:
Crazy how some people just gloss over McDaniels and his 0.378 career win percentage as a head coach. Like oh yeah, something must be wrong with Carr, couldn't possibly be his head coach that won less games than the interim did in 2021. McDaniels in 17 games won 6. Bisaccia in 12 games won 7.
That sounds familiar, I think we may employ someone who the Raiders previously employed and people said it was because they were a bad team. What is that guy's name?

He isn’t lying. Why would the Raiders be giving up on a Pro Bowl quarterback like this?
Because it is the Raiders and Josh McDaniel is a moron, who will be fired next year. He thinks getting rid of Carr will get him another year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom