Boeing 737-800 crash in China (1 Viewer)

This graphic is based on the flight data. Not sure how accurate (as to the precise geometry) it is but seems like it would be close.

1647880643893.png

Note however that there was an brief period of attempted correction. That is not shown on the graphic.

1647880952584.png

Last edited:
I posted in the "what are you watching" thread that I watched this and my blood was boiling.
Yup. Yet another company in corporate America enslaved by its addiction to money. Downfall did a very good job documenting Boeing’s descent from quality aircraft manufacturer to profits before people.

Geez! Woke up this morning before my morning flight and seen this news, I didn’t read, knew I shouldn’t have clicked this thread.

Has there ever been a nosedive from so high up (cruising altitude) due to mechanical/weather? I’ve always been told near impossible, this almost sounds like pilot error unless those Max have another bug.

More on the 800’s safety record:

To my untrained eyes, it looks like a major weight shift may have happened. I don't know enough about commercial aircraft loading proceedures to say it is a definate.

The aircraft descended 29,000 feet in 2 mins at approx 300kts. It's difficult to near impossible for someone to manually direct a commercial airliner at the ground in a dive that steep I am told. My initial thought was the Germanwings flight where one of the pilots committed suicide, but that was before I learned of the descent and saw the video.

I've seen pictures that claim to be large pieces of fuselage. That was surprising to see (again, if true) because you would not expect to see much of anything outside of tiny bits of debris when an aircraft that large, flying that fast makes impact. It leads me to wonder if there was not a break up prior to impact. That could be because the aircraft exceeded forces it was designed to handle or intentionally broken up. There does not appear to be any signs of an explosion (smoke, fire, etc) from the video of the aircraft descent.

It's very curious. China isn't exactly transparent either when left on their own, so it might be a while before we discover the cause.

Yup. Yet another company in corporate America enslaved by its addiction to money. Downfall did a very good job documenting Boeing’s descent from quality aircraft manufacturer to profits before people.

Given this aircraft’s record, I think it’s premature to suggest folding it into the “profits over quality” discussion. This particular airplane had been in service since 2015.

I am sorry to hear that this happened. Can a straight nose-dive really happen accidentally? It just doesn’t seem likely but I also do not want to speculate. Sad.

The aircraft descended 29,000 feet in 2 mins at approx 300kts. It's difficult to near impossible for someone to manually direct a commercial airliner at the ground in a dive that steep I am told. My initial thought was the Germanwings flight where one of the pilots committed suicide, but that was before I learned of the descent and saw the video.

I've seen pictures that claim to be large pieces of fuselage. That was surprising to see (again, if true) because you would not expect to see much of anything outside of tiny bits of debris when an aircraft that large, flying that fast makes impact. It leads me to wonder if there was not a break up prior to impact. That could be because the aircraft exceeded forces it was designed to handle or intentionally broken up. There does not appear to be any signs of an explosion (smoke, fire, etc) from the video of the aircraft descent.

It's very curious. China isn't exactly transparent either when left on their own, so it might be a while before we discover the cause.

Is there any explanation for the brief correction and gaining of altitude just below 10k feet other than someone at the controls trying to save it?

Given this aircraft’s record, I think it’s premature to suggest folding it into the “profits over quality” discussion. This particular airplane had been in service since 2015.
The problem is the shift In focus at Boeing does not allow fixes for these problems (should the cause of this crash be systemic) to be rapidly disseminated to customers of Boeing. Not that airlines are paragons of virtue anyway.

The problem is the shift In focus at Boeing does not allow fixes for these problems (should the cause of this crash be systemic) to be rapidly disseminated to customers of Boeing. Not that airlines are paragons of virtue anyway.

Perhaps but what relevance is that if this is a terror incident or a suicidal crew member?

I wonder if China will be willing to share the data from the black box? Seems like that would give us some idea of what happened.

I certainly understand people having a jaded point of view, but the circumstances that led to the issues with the B737 MAX do not exist with the B737-NG. This is one of the safest commercial airliners in the history of manned flight. It is not a new aircraft subject to new design considerations, systems, testings, training, oversight, etc. We known nothing at this point, but for this specific accident you can almost certainly put "manufacturer fault" at the bottom of your list of possible causes.

Is there any explanation for the brief correction and gaining of altitude just below 10k feet other than someone at the controls trying to save it?
That would be my assumption, but hard to say with such limited information. Perhaps the aircraft tried to self-correct? Just one of the many curiosities with this accident early on.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom