Bohemian Rhapsody, the movie. (1 Viewer)

i thought he was playing him...seems like i remember that being said at some point

either way, i don't think his height would matter

Jack Reacher is 6'5" in the books and Tom Cruise is 5'5"

I guess I stand corrected as I read somewhere that indeed Sasha Baron was set to play Freddie.
Weird, not only because the height, but the voice (not singing, just regular speech) and the acting background.

If you look at Malek in real life, height, body type, soft patterns of speech, this is one occasion when one could truly say he was born to play this role.

If I am not mistaken... I do believe our very own Dean in LA is part of this.. .. In whatever he does for the movies...

Baron was making the movie but pulled out once Brian May didn’t approve of the direction. Baron wanted to focus on Mercury and tell the story of how wild Mercury was. One of those instances is that Mercury would have midgets serve cocaine on a platter at lavish parties. I believe he stated that May wanted the story to mostly be about Queen once Mercury passed away. This is all from a Howard Stern interview a few years back.

Do they Bowling with the midgets later? That sounds like a great Friday night!

I've seen it three times already. Turns out my cousin's husband was the head of set design. Now I know why they spent so much time living in England over the past couple years.

I'll probably go see it again over the holiday weekend. Queen was my first love of rock n roll.

Even though I thought Rami Malek did a fantastic job in capturing Mercury and I loved the Live Aid recreation at the end, I really did not like the movie. I found it very scattered and very safe. A lot of the events and timeline are so inaccurate that it ruined the movie for me. I think this one line from a review I read put it perfectly. "The biopic reaches out for the very last row, and in doing so, it becomes unfortunately basic, flattening out the fascinating character while sanding down and rearranging elements of the story to serve the band."

Even though I thought Rami Malek did a fantastic job in capturing Mercury and I loved the Live Aid recreation at the end, I really did not like the movie. I found it very scattered and very safe. A lot of the events and timeline are so inaccurate that it ruined the movie for me. I think this one line from a review I read put it perfectly. "The biopic reaches out for the very last row, and in doing so, it becomes unfortunately basic, flattening out the fascinating character while sanding down and rearranging elements of the story to serve the band."
You've said it for me. I didn't hate it, I still sniffed and said to myself, Why you, Freddy?, but I didn't really learn anything new or even a different slant. I've been describing it as a concert movie when suddenly a biopic breaks out. Live Aid was great but, I mean, we have the actual video.

I am probably biased because Rami is local to me and we have crossed paths a couple times. he is an incredibly nice man from all accounts.
Really? That's so cool and good to hear. I've always liked him.

I guess I stand corrected as I read somewhere that indeed Sasha Baron was set to play Freddie.
Weird, not only because the height, but the voice (not singing, just regular speech) and the acting background.

If you look at Malek in real life, height, body type, soft patterns of speech, this is one occasion when one could truly say he was born to play this role.
Yeah, I didn't think he looked like him so much (dental appliance helped) and they are of different backgrounds but I thought his body type was spot on.

I for one am glad they kept it "safe". My 14 year old daughter is a total Queen freak. She was gushing about this movie as soon as the trailers were released. I spent months worrying that it would be a hard R rating and would not want her to see it. I let her be exposed to a lot but I had reservations if they were going to include too much heavy drug use or orgy scenes (thinking of the parties where Mercury hired midgets to serve coke off of platters on their heads). My daughter would have been crushed had she not been able to see it, and I would have felt bad about keeping her from it. But now we are all happy and she has seen it 3 times already (so far).

I am excited about this one.

As excited as this mouse? Not sure.

and added bonus, one of the most spot on song changes for a political commentary I have ever seen. I laugh part of my arse off with each listen.

Kind of off-topic but related to Queen's Freddie Mercury biopic, if Mercury is one rock singer and personality who was so larger then life that his career, exploits, and stage presence and influence deserved a movie made about him, what about making a movie about Syd Barrett, the original PF guitarist/singer who had a famous, almost mythical psychotic breakdown just as Floyd were on the verge of stardom in late 1967? Barrett is just as an intriguing, iconic, but perhaps more mysterious figure in British rock history as well as PF becoming one of the most successful, and influential rock bands in history. 3, perhaps 4-5 of their albums released are considered classics but without Barrett, there NEVER would've been a Pink Floyd. He was the man who coined the bands name and wrote maybe 85-90 % of the band's songs until Roger Waters had to take over and gradually became the great lyricist he's acknowledged for. Musicians, actors like Johnny Depp have all praised and credited Barrett as an creative influence on them. A major character of the FX show Legion, David Haller's girlfriend, is named after him and the show's creator, Noah Hawley has publicly acknowledged Syd's influence on him musically and creatively. He's used some of Syd's PF songs like Astronomy Domine and Interstellar Overdrive on some episodes of Legion.

I think a Syd Barrett/Pink Floyd biopic would be very interesting and worth introducing to newer fans who aren't aware of his genius as a songwriter and see him as this madcap, rock star-turned- psychotic, rock burnout. Barrett is as much a tragic figure as Mercury was perhaps moreso because as terrible and agonizing as Freddie suffered living with AIDS for nearly 4 years, he never lost his mind, his sanity and kept his composure and dignity intact, Barrett's mind never recovered and his last 2 decades were painful and excruciating suffering from mental illness as well as liver failure and Type 1 diabetes which left him nearly blind, and unable to walk by the time he died in 2006. Eddie Redmayne is one very good character/ lead actor who IMHO, could really pull off an outstanding performance playing Syd Barrett as Malek has done with Freddie Mercury.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom