Books everyone loved—but you (1 Viewer)

For me it was The Lord of the Rings. I'm an avid reader, I read everything from the classics and philosophy to commercial fiction. I'm also a big science fiction/fantasy fan. For some reason I struggled through these books. Don't know if it was the writing style or the pace but I didn't get why all my friends acted like it was the holy grail. On the other hand I've read The Hobbit several times and enjoyed it. Its wierd.

Basically anything written before the 20th century. Before writers figured out that paragraph length sentences are a bad idea.

Divergent and Name of the Wind

I put Divergent down during the final chapter. Imagine how much you have to hate a book to not even finish the last 10 pages because you can't see how it can possibly redeem itself

most of stephe
Divergent and Name of the Wind

I put Divergent down during the final chapter. Imagine how much you have to hate a book to not even finish the last 10 pages because you can't see how it can possibly redeem itself
the divergent series was good till the last book which leaves you "what the fork?"

so when i first got to NY, my jobjob was at Shakespeare & Co books
staffed almost entirely by deeeeeeeeep book love/nerds (part of why i dominated the company softball games)

they mostly turned me on to some great work, but a few did not click
most of TC Boyle
Thomas Pynchon Crying of Lot 49

@Mr. Blue Sky
aside from kids cutting into my reading i would say laptops (and now handhelds) + Netflix cut into my reading the most
obviously with the subsequent rise in quality TV
i can spend 2 hours on a great story or 2 weeks

also movies in bed are easier to share than books

Ever had a book that everyone you knew said “you have to read this book” but you ended up hating it?

For me, it was Confederacy of Dunces. All I heard was how funny Ignatius was. I hated the character and the book. He was just annoying to me.

Don't shatter my religious ecstacy.

love this subject. I have suffered through Great Expectations (I say suffer only because Dickens English use doesn't allow quick page turning. I actually enjoyed it but it took me forever.

And I read every word in House of Leaves which anyone that has even flipped through the book will tell you isn't even physically easy. (complete with holes in pages and all)

Image result for house of leaves gif

The Navidson Record/Zampano stuff was always the most interesting part of House of Leaves to me. Never cared much about the Johnny Truant/Whalestoe letters stuff.

Thomas Pynchon Crying of Lot 49

Blasphemy.

so when i first got to NY, my jobjob was at Shakespeare & Co books

I’m not sure, but i think the bookstore scene in When Harry Met Sally was filmed there(?). Would have been in the late 80s i think , maybe you can confirm... or maybe it’s another movie that was filmed there? The name of the bookstore rings a bell in the context of movie locations.

I’m not sure, but i think the bookstore scene in When Harry Met Sally was filmed there(?). Would have been in the late 80s i think , maybe you can confirm... or maybe it’s another movie that was filmed there? The name of the bookstore rings a bell in the context of movie locations.
That was the uptown store
I worked at the one by NYU

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom