Boomer Esiason: "He wants out, from what I hear” (Matthew Stafford) (1 Viewer)

I think Stafford would be great, I would want nothing to do with Derrick Carr though. I've seen too many Raider games over his tenure and he just does not look like a guy that has the goods to me. Maybe the change of scenery would help him change that but I'm just not sure I'd like that to be here. For everyone talking about wanting to go vertical (which is moot because I don't think Payton really wants to go vertical as much as anyone here does) Carr checks down more than most QBs do, to the point where Belichick literally had his defense prioritize guarding the checkdown and it made Carr look totally lost.

Honestly, out of the current young/not complete pipe dream vets it'd be nice if Dak can find his way out of Dallas and end up here but I just don't see that happening. Stafford might be a real possibility as could Deshaun Watson but both of the teams have leverage with those players. I think we end up with one of Hill or Jameis for this season though, maybe we get a rookie early if someone catches Payton's eye. Are they doing the senior bowl this year?
Carr actually had about the same average per attempt and completion last year as Stafford and has been more accurate with a higher TD to INT ratio over his career. Either would be a good add, but I do think they go with Winston and Hill.

Completely false. Only 2019 has he missed a game due to injury. In that year he missed half the season but in every other year he was active for the entire season and played in over 90% of the snaps. Few NFL players with 10 years experience can make that claim.

He had one other year where he had a shoulder injury. I think it was his first or 2nd year. But other than 2019 he’s been in the lineup every week for a decade.

Carr actually had about the same average per attempt and completion last year as Stafford and has been more accurate with a higher TD to INT ratio over his career. Either would be a good add, but I do think they go with Winston and Hill.

That's fair enough. I didn't look at the stats, I do know that for me he just doesn't pass the "eye test", but I have told others that I think a change of scenery can help him. To be, although it was a cameo they looks better with Mariota in the game he got minutes but that could also be down to different styles and the defensive gameplan being with Carr in.

LOL because this was a big debate between my wife and me with our kids. I vetoed all her top choices because they were last names.

If enough of us take a stand, we can weather this storm and create a better tomorrow. We'll address adding "Le" and "De" to already-existent names like Charles and Mario at our next meeting.

I can't remember the last time I was impressed by anything Stafford did. There was a time, sure. But, that was a long time ago. Aren't we currently trying to part ways with QBs who did things "a long time ago" rather than lately?

Id rather put something together to land Deshaun Watson. He still has much tread left on the tires, and a LOT of potential -- much like Brees did, in 2005.
Stafford is 32, so he has another 5 year contract in him with a good supporting cast which is something he hasn't had with the Lions outside that one year Lombardi was there.

Last edited:
Matt Stafford Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money, and Contract History | Over The Cap

This is a link to the statistics page for Stafford on OverTheCap.com. It only shows 1 year where he missed games due to injury.

They don’t show the first two years of his career.

“ Stafford's first shoulder injury this season was a Grade 2 separation, and it kept him out six weeks. With eight weeks remaining in the regular season, a Grade 3 separation likely would prevent Stafford from playing again in 2010.

Stafford said his current injury felt "very similar" to his first shoulder separation

Stafford is dealing with his fourth injury in less than two years. He missed two games with a dislocated right knee cap, and then after playing two games with a separated left shoulder, sat out the final four games of the 2009 season.“

Last edited:
Again, Stafford will be Brees all over again, not the 2009 Brees either. The Brees of 2017 to 2021. He is very injury prone, brittle, and my grandmother moves faster than him.

He will be a sitting duck as these defenses are just getting faster and faster chasing the more productive and more mobile dual threat QBs.

Jameis is a better fit, Big arm and can run when there is open road. Like Teddy, in fact, better than Teddy.

If not Jameis, go for someone with a great arm who is even more mobile. Like a Deshaun Watson, Mahomes, Allen or Rodgers type player.

Pocket Pass Only QBs are Dinosaurs now [Unless you are the goat with 6 rings]. In fact they all retiring, Brees, Ben, Phillip etc. Look what's left in the playoffs: Mahomes, Allen, Rodgers and Brady the single pocket pass only QB remaining...but he is Brady, which keeps him competitive.

Why bring in another broke down, slow, immobile pocket passer, who will also be ran out the league in a couple years?

Makes no sense

Please no..... he's as fragile as a dove.

After living in Michigan for last 11 years & watching more lions football than I would have been otherwise, I can say that Matt is a tough QB, he did suffer some in the early part of his carrier but he has been as on par with many other QB's over the rest. I think he has been a victim of some of the worst coaching & would do well under SP, but then again... any QB is gonna do well/better than normal under him. I think when you eliminate coach SP from the equation, Stafford gives me more to hang my hat on than Winston, so when you add in SP, Stafford might be better all around.

Let Jameis and Taysom do the thing in 2021 but funny thing is, Dan Campbell might be crazy enough to trade Stafford to Payton if he called🥴 cant imagine Stafford wants to go thru another rebuild...did yall see the clips fron Dan's presser?? I almost thought he was fighting McGregor this weekend...

The Lions and Campbell could very well be looking to start fresh and change the culture in Detroit beginning next season... with the #7 overall pick in the draft, the Lions are likely going to be in position to grab one of the top 4 QB prospects (Zach Wilson or Trey Lance, as Lawrence and Fields will likely be gone). If they decide to go that route, Stafford could be available

He still showed some elite arm talent this year.

I’ve been on team Jameis. My biggest concern, though, is his release. He has a bit of a wind-up so it’s not that quick, which may be an issue in a timing-based offense.

Stafford doesn’t have that problem.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom