Bourbon Street shooting quickly making National News (1 Viewer)

Three of the victims have been released from the hospital. The third is in stable condition. All good news. The police have a name of one suspect and are getting warrants.

True cuz internet umbrage is the only solution

It's certainly a better solution than excusing criminal behavior by some because "society doesn't care about them". :smilielol:

Besides, like jrdbrn said, I'm pretty sure society doesn't care about me either.

I'm pretty sure society really doesn't care about me either...

your "pretty sure" belies your statement - it's like getting a flat tire or breaking a bone, if you say, "huh, i think i got a flat tire/broken bone" you clearly did not
plus there is a gigantic gulf between disregarding a particular person and actively shunning an entire group

It's certainly a better solution than excusing criminal behavior by some because "society doesn't care about them"

clearly you want to sit in judgment - there's nothing i can do about that
i'd rather try to understand the social conditions that foster certain behaviors, than to put particular people down so i can feel better about myself

clearly you want to sit in judgment - there's nothing i can do about that
i'd rather try to understand the social conditions that foster certain behaviors, than to put particular people down so i can feel better about myself

I'm not putting someone else down to make myself feel better. I have no personal involvement in this story. However, I think it's ridiculous to deflect blame from the individual who decided to pull the trigger.

I'm not putting someone else down to make myself feel better. I have no personal involvement in this story. However, I think it's ridiculous to deflect blame from the individual who decided to pull the trigger.

I think what he's saying is that it isn't just "this guy". It's practically every shooter in New Orleans on a near daily basis. It's systematic. Typically there are a set of circumstances that can be matched among anyone who is murdering someone as a response to an altercation. Poverty and education have a lot to do with it.

I'm not going to pretend like i have a solution but the problem is obvious.

you commented on a public forum your personal feelings about an event - how is that not personal involvement?
and how was i deflecting blame?

Understand what? that some people like shooting others? Its a reflection on society. Take God out of schools and society, demonize religeon(Clinton Adm. was the worst with the evil trinity...George S. James C. and Paul B.), abortion on demand, and basically not holding people responsible for their actions. IMHO, being raised in poverty is not a reason, its an excuse, and used by those who dont want to improve society, just their pocketbook. If laws that are on the books NOW were enforced, things wouldnt get any worse. Hell, they just might get a little better. :9:

I think what he's saying is that it isn't just "this guy". It's practically every shooter in New Orleans on a near daily basis. It's systematic. Typically there are a set of circumstances that can be matched among anyone who is murdering someone as a response to an altercation. Poverty and education have a lot to do with it.

I'm not going to pretend like i have a solution but the problem is obvious.

I agree that it's part of a much larger problem.

you commented on a public forum your personal feelings about an event - how is that not personal involvement?
and how was i deflecting blame?

Posting on a message board isn't exactly the level of involvement that would require me to need to "make myself feel better".

As for the last part, maybe you just like to be contrary but your comments and tone made it seem as if you at least wanted to appear that way. I guess the best thing to do is just ask: Do you think the shooter is to blame for his actions?

As for the last part, maybe you just like to be contrary but your comments and tone made it seem as if you at least wanted to appear that way. I guess the best thing to do is just ask: Do you think the shooter is to blame for his actions?

The shooter bears full responsibility for his actions
I'm not omniscient so I cannot lay blame
pardon my tone

The guy went to bourbon street with a gun.

Has anyone here ever done that?

As stated previously by a couple of people, knowing how to stay out of trouble goes a long way towards avoiding problems. For almost twenty years I organized Mardi Gras trips for a bunch (10-20) of customers from my bar in central Mississippi. Anyone that had not gone with our group for at least a couple of Mardi Gras got the "Orientation". The basic rules were walk away from any confrontation, put some distance between you and any problems you see happening between others, and if a cop tell you to jump, you ask "how high". One selling point to the "Orientation" was explaining that all the courts would be closed during the festivities and they would miss all the fun while sitting in Central Lockup until Wednesday.

In those twenty years, we never had anyone get into a fight and only one person ever got arrested.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom