Boy, does the defense miss... (1 Viewer)

CajunSaint08

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Roman Harper and Rob Ninkovinch. I know Nink. did not start, but he always had a motor running and he was a good relief. As for as Harper goes, he was always in the right place at the right time. The defense was ranked (as a whole) in the top ten defenses in the NFL. Now, since Harper went down, the defense has dropped to the bottom 3rd in the NFL.

Fred Thomas had a sub-par game, but to his credit, this was his first game back after missing 2 weeks with a ham-string injury and he was expected to defend Chad Johnson. Think about it, if you are asking the corner back on your team who is less than 100% to guard their best receiver after missing 2 weeks, it doesn't say much for the other corner backs. That is a problem to be addressed in the off season. Let's hope that is not until February...

I picked the Saint's to go 12-4 this year and I am sticking to it, but it does look a little grey right now. I just want to win the division and move on deep into the playoffs.

Roman Harper and Rob Ninkovinch. I know Nink. did not start, but he always had a motor running and he was a good relief. As for as Harper goes, he was always in the right place at the right time. The defense was ranked (as a whole) in the top ten defenses in the NFL. Now, since Harper went down, the defense has dropped to the bottom 3rd in the NFL.

Fred Thomas had a sub-par game, but to his credit, this was his first game back after missing 2 weeks with a ham-string injury and he was expected to defend Chad Johnson. Think about it, if you are asking the corner back on your team who is less than 100% to guard their best receiver after missing 2 weeks, it doesn't say much for the other corner backs. That is a problem to be addressed in the off season. Let's hope that is not until February...

I picked the Saint's to go 12-4 this year and I am sticking to it, but it does look a little grey right now. I just want to win the division and move on deep into the playoffs.

It doesn't say anything about the other cornerbacks. CJ plays on Fred's side of the field. It has nothing to do with coach "telling" Fred to cover CJ. I wish we had harper to. I was skeptical how much of an impact a rookie safety could have being out. Well I think its proved we relyed on him alot.

It doesn't say anything about the other cornerbacks. CJ plays on Fred's side of the field. It has nothing to do with coach "telling" Fred to cover CJ. I wish we had harper to. I was skeptical how much of an impact a rookie safety could have being out. Well I think its proved we relyed on him alot.

Who cares if CJ plays on Freds side of the field... they are CB in the freaken NFL... if they cannot play corner on both sides of the field... they do not need to be on the field... there is no reason that Mckenzie should not have been guarding ocho cinco

Who cares if CJ plays on Freds side of the field... they are CB in the freaken NFL... if they cannot play corner on both sides of the field... they do not need to be on the field... there is no reason that Mckenzie should not have been guarding ocho cinco

Almost every team in the NFL has their CB's play certain sides of the field. Its just the way things are done. Its a big myth that the number 1 corner always covers the number 1 reciever. Its just not the way it works. Its like LB's. You have a SLB and a WLB and they play those positions. We have LCB and a RCB. They play those positions.

Plus lets say MM did shut down CJ today. I have no doubts TJ would of burnt Fred all day on his side instead.

i agree, on everything.

ron harper has been huge. that kid was really solid, we miss him a ton on defense imo.

Almost every team in the NFL has their CB's play certain sides of the field. Its just the way things are done. Its a big myth that the number 1 corner always covers the number 1 reciever. Its just not the way it works. Its like LB's. You have a SLB and a WLB and they play those positions. We have LCB and a RCB. They play those positions.

Plus lets say MM did shut down CJ today. I have no doubts TJ would of burnt Fred all day on his side instead.

Even if Housh DOES burn Thomas, at least we make the Bengals adjust. The game is all about adjusting and making the man across from you do the same, then seeing who comes out on top. We let them kill us with the exact same poison all game. That should not be tolerated by any fan here, regardless of who the opponent is.

As far as Harper goes, he was always in the right place at the right time. The defense was ranked (as a whole) in the top ten defenses in the NFL. Now, since Harper went down, the defense has dropped to the bottom 3rd in the NFL.

I had thought this, but I hadn't looked up the stats. He sure made a difference. I can remember this board having a group cardiac arrest when he was drafted. It's hard to argue his value now.

All in all, however, I'm happy with the season. 510 yards passing? Glorious. Without a defense that can take the ball right back sometimes, you have to play a nearly perfect game as an offense. I also thought that Brees really missed Colston. That big presence in the red zone is hard to replace.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom