Boycott Chick fil a? (1 Viewer)

Okay, so here's a question I have been wanting to pose. A few weeks ago we were having some friends over with their kids to hang out and swim in the pool. We were trying to think of what to get to eat.

Me: I think we should get fried chicken!
Wife: Yeah, that sounds good. Where?
Me: Well, pretty much Popeyes and Lowe's Foods are the best chicken around here, they're about the same distance away (not that close, about 20 to 25 minutes for each).
Wife: Well, there's also that place that always has the line out into the highway, you know the Louisiana place?
Me: Um, what?
Wife: Oh, and there's also Chick-Fil-A.
Me: That's not a . . .
Wife: Canes! That's the place I'm thinking of with the line.
Me: Um, those aren't fried chicken places.
Wife: What do you mean? Then what are they?

Okay so this is rather interesting. Chick-Fil-A and Cane's serve chicken that is fried. It's the substantial majority of their menu, if not the whole menu. But I bristle at the idea that they could be considered "fried chicken" places. If you can't get an 8-piece with fried drumsticks and thighs, it's not a fried chicken place. Tell me I'm right . . .

14-149399_fried-chicken-bucket-of-chicken-png.png
I can see your point, but I think colloquially they would still be “chicken places”

I can see your point, but I think colloquially they would still be “chicken places”

But are they “fried chicken places”?

Colloquial means people call it that. Does anyone call CFA or Cane’s a “fried chicken place”?

Colloquial means people call it that. Does anyone call CFA or Cane’s a “fried chicken place”?
I think I agree with them not being "fried chicken places", but I'm not sure how I would categorize them otherwise. Perhaps all fried chicken places are chicken places, but not all chicken places are fried chicken places?

To be completely honest, I'm not sure I've ever heard someone specifically call out "fried chicken place". Maybe being in Louisiana has just made the "fried" part of anything inferred.

I know they are around in places but Churches used to be really good as well. My buddy said there is one in Chicago but told me not to go alone. I travel a lot for work and I got a half fried chicken at this place in Nashville and it was phenomenal but was close to $30…. And I can’t fry chicken. I watch cooking shows, I download recipes. I have electric fryers, turkey fryers and cast iron. It’s an art.

Churches was the bomb back in the day (80's)....2 pieces and a pickled jalapeno and a roll for a buck.....it was crispy delicious....

Frying chicken isn't difficult, but you need a large fryer than can keep the oil at 350.....also make sure the chicken is at room temp....to make that extra crispy chicken coat in flour first (skin on) then egg wash and your favorite chicken fry coating (I like zatarains for all my frying).....if the oil stays hot it should only take 12-14 minutes, also only do 4-5 pieces at a time (unless you have a real industrial type fryer).....

Everybody knows that the best fried chicken in the land comes from either a gas station or a country-arse local grocery store with a hot counter.

In DC I lived around the corner from a gas station with bomb-arse fried chicken. Where I live now, the best chicken is at the hot counter in a Circle K near the nasty strip clubs in North Charleston. Finger lickin.

Haha....also the best mexican is the other side of that gas station....(The Taco Bar in Gaithersburg MD is the best I've ever had)......

QFT - Brothers is real deal, there was one near my folks in Metairie, we tried to get chicken there at least once whilst visiting....

Oh and the Popeyes near me still typically has those good good biscuits. All this talk makes me want to do some Frankenmeal of Popeyes strips with Cane's toast. That sounds like a fabulous sammy.

My only issue with Cane's is that the chicken is bland.
Brutal honesty: Cane's has gone up in price about 50% in maybe the last three or four years. They've priced us out, more or less.

QFT - Brothers is real deal, there was one near my folks in Metairie, we tried to get chicken there at least once whilst visiting....
Brothers' chicken fingers are our Cane's replacement, as a matter of fact. A six-piece there is still less than $10 after tax, compared to ~$17 after tax for a Caniac (the drink, slaw, and toast aren't worth $7).

I predict a $20 (after tax) Caniac by 12/31/2025.

Now there is "Krispy Krunchy Chicken" at many gas stations- havent tried, but see folk all the time leaving w/ box.
There was a Krispy Krunchy chicken location in the food court of an office building** across Poydras from the Superdome around 2008-09. Don't know if it's still there, but I got chicken there at least once per week, and it was excellent.

** Same building that had Covenant House's restaurant on the first floor. Not sure if all that is still there.

Gas station chicken is hit or miss. It's always good when their fryers are new, but if they don't keep everything clean, the quality starts to trail way off.

I've noticed this with the Krispy Krunchy Chicken most often. Brothers was always pretty consistently good when i've had it.

Haha....also the best mexican is the other side of that gas station....(The Taco Bar in Gaithersburg MD is the best I've ever had)......

FYI -The Popeyes on Route 1 in Alexandria near the Costco still has onion rings.

There’s a place out by the airport in Kennerbrah that has big signs that say “Yard Bird!”

Is that Brothers? I want to try that place. A place with big sign that says Yard Bird! can’t have bad chicken. And I think they sell gas too, so it’s got a lot going for it.
Now you've got me curious. I've never seen the "Yard Bird!" sign, and Googling can't seem to scare it up.

I kind of doubt that's Brothers, because I have never known them to advertise AT ALL -- not even billboards or mailers. Not 100%, though.

If somebody says we are going to a "fried chicken place", I'm expecting bone-in on the menu. Otherwise it needs a qualifier, "strips", "sandwich" etc.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom