Brady has hit the wall (1 Viewer)

The Pats and the Saints have striking similarities. The only big difference I see is the presence of one really good WR, in CGM. Both teams lack a deep passing game for whatever reason. Both teams have solid running games with one good receiving RB. The Saints should have a much better OL than the Pats but they are hurting because of injury. Both teams have very good, well rounded defenses.

The difference is that we have Thomas, Cook, and Kamara. Brady has Edelman, and that is it. The Patriots haven't played anyone, and they have a great defense. They have gotten away with a lot up until last night. Their offensive woes showed up in a big way.
They have decent backs and Cook has become reliable these past few weeks. I'm not writing them off just yet. Unlike us, they're just year remove from winning the SB it's been 10 years for us.

Brady struggled to complete 50% of his passes against a Houston defense that is 25th against the pass and didn't have JJ Watt. He "performed" in garbage time when Houston played a very soft zone. Brady has five games this season where he has completed less than 60% of his passes, and two games with less than 50%.

Drew Brees has zero games this season completing less than 60% of his passes, and has six games where he completed more than 70% of his passes. Were it not for five dropped passes against the falcons, he'd still be on pace to break his own completion percentage record. Brees is every bit as accurate as he's ever been, and has thrown some absolute dimes deep down the field that his receivers dropped.

Brees missed five games this season and the TD record is still a competitive race between him and Brady. Let that sink in. Brady had five games to really pull away and instead, they were tied in total TDs going into tonight's game. Brady now has a three touchdown lead.

If Brees hadn't missed five games, he'd already have broken the record.

Brady's absolutely hit a wall. He's struggling to run an offense focused on short, quick, high completion percentage throws. After 12 games, you can't say it is an overreaction, Brady is what he is. An average at best QB who is rapidly declining.
I agree with a good part of what you say, but I'd hate to see Brees' numbers if Michael Thomas had gotten traded away or went on IR after the first week. Point is, pickings are slim after MT. You remove MT from the equation, Kamara gets defended a little more differently, as does Cook, because Ted Ginn has brick hands and has never been really consistent, and TQS just hasn't arrived yet. Brady does not have very much help. Drew would look like arse too, as he did near the end of last year when offensive line injuries started piling up and teams that could really decided Drew was going to have to beat them throwing to someone other than MT and AK. Drew went from MVP frontrunner to "he hit a wall".

Yeah we had our hands full with Watson and that Texans offense. It took Drew and and last second field goal in the dome to salvage opening weekend...

I noticed Brady's body changed last year, and have been expecting him to go into decline. When you get thick in the middle, it affects everything. Your throwing motion is affected, hits hurt you, you lose your leg agility, plus the extra weight you carry around. It's a slow process, so he may play 1 more year, but maybe not.

I agree with a good part of what you say, but I'd hate to see Brees' numbers if Michael Thomas had gotten traded away or went on IR after the first week. Point is, pickings are slim after MT. You remove MT from the equation, Kamara gets defended a little more differently, as does Cook, because Ted Ginn has brick hands and has never been really consistent, and TQS just hasn't arrived yet. Brady does not have very much help. Drew would look like arse too, as he did near the end of last year when offensive line injuries started piling up and teams that could really decided Drew was going to have to beat them throwing to someone other than MT and AK. Drew went from MVP frontrunner to "he hit a wall".

Not having Michael Thomas would change the offense, but if we are going to play the "what if?" game, everyone would agree that in the event of an injury to Thomas in week 1, the Saints would have aggressively traded for a top flight WR, whatever the cost.

As for Brees' numbers, they wouldn't take as sharp of a dip as you think . Brees is averaging 39 attempts per game, but only 11 of those passes go towards Michael Thomas. That is 28% of his attempts. Even if Brees had a 100% completion percentage throwing to Thomas (he doesn't, it is 83%), there are still 72% of his passes that are having to be caught by someone else. Brees has never won because of his arm strength, he's won because he puts the ball in places where the defender can do nothing about it. If you remove Michael Thomas and his ridiculous catch rate from the Saints totals this season, Brees is still completing 70% of his passes.

I don’t know about Brady hitting the wall; however, the fact of the matter is that Matt Ryan hit the floor. Hard.
When Akiem Hicks was with the Saints several seasons ago he sacked Matty Ice... Ryan asked: "Who are you?" He probably asked again of Shy Tuttle: "Who are you?"

One thing is for sure... he didn't have to ask who Cam Jordan is!

Brady has hit the wall just like Peyton Manning did mid way through his last season. You can see he knows it and that’s why he is showing his emotions.
And the truth is, Brees has hit the wall as well, he hit in Dallas last year. Neither of these QB's will be playing much longer.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom