Brady now within 1 TD of the record (1 Viewer)

After Brady and Brees both retire, the NFL will start to make a big deal about ALL TIME records that INCLUDE the playoffs, to ensure that Tom Brady is in front. Patriots fans were doing it for years, they include playoff stats to boost Brady's numbers.
anyone can make a big deal, but it's not reality

And he has far better weapons. Let’s not kid ourselves.
That’s the issue, there’s always some reason. The receivers aren’t NFL caliber, the offensive line isn’t giving the QB enough time to throw. I know it’s not all on QB, but to say that the receivers aren’t capable of getting open and catching passes at the pro level just doesn’t fly. The team’s scouts would have to be so jacked up that they roll a set of dice to do the grading for evaluations. Or, CSP is just downright overriding the scouts to kill the offense.

This saddens me. The TD record is a testament to Brees’ production and level of play. Those 5 games last year hurt. It hurts also having Kamara who is a ridiculous redzone threat.

If Brady pulls ahead I wouldn't be surprised if there is a 4th of July level fireworks display coupled with a V-Day style ticker tape parade and Moon landing style TV coverage

I feel like Brady will play at least next year. Unless he suffers some kind of year-long-recovery injury. Only then could I see him hanging it up this year. Drew has been playing on borrowed time. I fully believe if he had won the superbowl (the year the refs and their horrible mis-call) he would have retired then.

I don't know what everyone is going on about. That QB up in KC will probably break it before his 15th season if he keeps on his projected path. Brees and Brady are going to be Gods of their era. I personally think that Tom is only playing to keep up with Brees. If Brees retires this after this year, Brady will hang it up the next. If Brady gets it, I won't be mad because Drew set the standard for getting records and owns most of them. And if he doesn't own them, he's top 5 in all of them. Its crazy that they can both end the season with 575+ career TDs tho. We are witnessing two of the best to ever do it and we are very lucky.
That QB up in KC has to actually make it through 15 seasons in the first place. As awe-inspiring as these records are, perhaps the most marvelous aspect of it is the fact that they have been able to play at an elite level for so long, largely avoiding injury, having consistent coaching and management, and just having the drive and desire to get back out there and face grueling season after grueling season. There have been a number of brilliant quarterbacks that just couldn't get through the gauntlet long enough to get into the conversation, let alone break these records. It's the last aspect - longevity - that I see as the biggest obstacle for Mahomes and other passers, as each new generation is a little less tough, determined, and committed than the one preceding it. I think we'll start to see career length decrease in spite of the NFL's efforts to make the game safer, as players continue to become more aware of the long-term impacts of playing. Guys will get rich beyond their wildest dreams and decide it's not worth playing anymore as the best of the best recognize their ability to continue to cash in on their celebrity in the media.

The one big factor working in the next generation's favor, of course, is the 17-game schedule. I think Drew's record number of 5,000 yard seasons might have stood for a very long time if not for that change.

I say let Brady have all the QB records in the NFL so everyone can just stop arguing about who is #1. It actually makes more sense to have Drew Brees as the all-time #2.

After all, the league has been treating Drew like '#2' since he got to New Orleans. :hm:

Brady will finish with the TD record. Probably yards as well. Combine that with all of his rings and it's pretty impressive. I'm not a Brady fan but I have to respect what he's accomplished. Obviously a big part of his success was due to the fact he was playing in the hapless AFC East all those years. But you could counter that by pointing out that he's put up these incredible passing numbers playing primarily outdoors.
Actually the AFC East is the division that in the past 20 years has had at least two teams with 10+ wins in the same year the most times. Last year made it 11 times. AFC North is second with 10 times. AFC East is also the division that has had 2 teams make the playoffs in the same 10 times in the past 20 years. If you compare the records of teams 2-4 from every division for the past 20 years, guess what division had the highest winning percentage ? Hint, it's the AFC East. These are all facts that can be easily looked up.

I dont respect Brady. He was on easy mode his entire career.

It's so hard for me to get up for these stats now. Seeing QB's come out of college already in there prime with zero learning curve for the NFL puts everything in persective. Mahomes, Wilson, Allen and many others will probably beat this record into submission. If not passing TDs, definitely total TDs.

Last year, I felt keeping the records was important for Brees' legacy in the pantheon of QBs because Brady has the 6 rings. Last year, I thought Brady was closer to retirement than Brees. That's all changed. Brees is done. And Im not being negative Nancy, he just has declined far more than I thought he would. I don't think he can win a SB without a ton of help from the defense (which has been mostly bad) and a strong running game (Sean Payton'd). Brady seems to be holding on enough to keep playing. And the records will fall quickly after this season. Brady is nearly tied in TD passes and less than 3k off the yardage mark. And it doesn't matter to me. Id rather Brees lose the records than come back another year trying to keep them.

Im not a fan of record chasing that isn't organic. If a guy is still playing at a high level, fine. But to play well beyond your prime just to chase records (Emmitt Smith) just tarnishes your legacy. Give me Barry Sanders.

The Saints IG page posted highlights from the Carolina game in the Dome last year. Go watch that and remember that its was only a year ago. Watch the intermediate to deep routes in the highlights. Its just hard to believe the difference in 1 year. There will never be another like him. All good things must come to and end, and I just feel like its time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom