Brady now within 1 TD of the record (1 Viewer)

Lol please tell me he posted that condescending post about facts that turned out to be not factual. lolololol

If you're going to patronize someone you need to at least know what you're talking about.
Article"The Myth of Weak AFC East " From 2000-2018. Everything but Bradys last year in New England

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200514-215125_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200514-215125_Chrome.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 8
Yeah....the Pats being damn near 16-0 every year had nothing to do with that win %
Took first place team from every division out, including the Patriots. These are teams 2-4 from every division from 2000-2018

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200514-215125_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200514-215125_Chrome.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 6
Firstly, good work citing your sources. Too often people make unverified or unverifiable claims on this website and follow up queries about their sources by saying, "If you're concerned about it, go and find it yourself" as if it's permissible to pass off speculation as fact and require others to substantiate it.

Secondly, there is a lot of commentary in this thread about Brady only playing for these records, but where is this evidence coming from? Has Brady ever said he is determined to retire with these accolades? Personally, I've seen more evidence of that from Drew (e.g. Drew picked up about 80 yards on the final drive with short passes v the Raiders rather than trying to hit the end-zone and give us a chance, however slight, of winning the game following a recovered on-side kick). My sense has always been that Saints fans are a lot more fixated on Drew's individual achievements than Patriots fans with Brady. Brady has six rings. Why would he care about whether he finishes with more passing yards or touchdowns than Drew, particularly when both men will be surpassed in the coming decades anyway?

Football is a team sport and Brady was the QB of one of the most dominant teams in any era of the NFL. That's not a knock on Brees either: when the supporting cast isn't up to the task as a player (and as a fan) you probably focus on other metrics to highlight your ability and your worth. I just think we care about it more than they do. Besides, there are a host of reasons not to like Brady ("either Jimmy G goes, or I go"). We don't need to invent more.

Firstly, good work citing your sources.

He cited a reddit article. I have no idea how whoever cherry picked data to come up with those figures. I did all the math with record from pro football reference. The Jets, Dolphins and Bills were #23-25 in wins during Brady's time in NE. I dont care how a reddit article makes numbers work, the AFC East was absolutely pitiful. There were 22 teams between the Patriots and the next ranked team in wins in the AFC East. Theres only 32 teams in the NFL. I compared JUST the NFC South over Brees time in NOLA, and the 2-4 teams in the NFC South wont 33 more games over that span. Each team in the South played in the Super Bowl during Bradys time in NE. 0 of the the other 3 AFC East teams did.

Maybe we should remove the worst team from every division. Or maybe the 3rd place team on odd years. Or the team that played on sundays with the wind chill below 40.

You can make data read however you want. But you wont convince anyone that the Dolphins, Jets and Bills didnt aid in Bradys run in NE.

And I dont blame Brady. He played the hand he was dealt, won a boat load of games and 6 SBs. Im like a few others in this thread. If Brady has the most rings, and ends up with all the records, theres no argument he is the GOAT. Brees and Manning are fighting for 2 and 3. But dont cherry pick numbers to try to glorify the AFC East.

Last edited:
He cited a reddit article. I have no idea how whoever cherry picked data to come up with those figures. I did all the math with record from pro football reference. The Jets, Dolphins and Bills were #23-25 in wins during Brady's time in NE. I dont care how make numbers work, the AFC East was absolutely pitiful. There were 22 teams between the Patriots and the next ranked team in wins in the AFC East. Theres only 32 teams in the NFL.

Maybe we should remove the worst team from every division. Or maybe the 3rd place team on odd years. Or the team that played on sundays with the wind chill below 40.

You can make data read however you want. But you wont convince anyone that the Dolphins, Jets and Bills didnt aid in Bradys run in NE.

And I dont blame Brady. He played the hand he was dealt, won a boat load of games and 6 SBs. Im like a few others in this thread. If Brady has the most rings, and ends up with all the records, theres no argument he is the GOAT. Brees and Manning are fighting for 2 and 3. But dont cherry pick numbers to try to glorify the AFC East.

Oh, for the avoidance of doubt, I wasn't endorsing the evidence or suggesting it was preferable to your own research or anything along those lines. The point is it has actually provided it and enabled you to take into account why it may or may not prove the proposition that the AFC East isn't as bad as everybody says it is. In 2020, there is a real issue with source verification (the implications of which are playing out with respect to political issues globally). I know this is a conversation about football, so in the scheme of things it's nowhere near as important, but I still think it lends itself to a more informed and generally civilised level of discussion.

Fair enough. Someone wrote that Reddit article with the intent of somehow showing the AFC East was deceptively strong. It wasn’t a “see where the evidence leads” thing. It was a “make the suspect fit the crime” thing.

I do not believe Brady is chasing records. He is still an above average QB and I think the dude just loves playing football. When I referenced old, senile Emmitt, who in my eyes is the quintessential record chaser - I believe if Brees came back next year, he would be basically Emmitt Smith playing QB. Brees has no business trying to drag this on another year just to keep records intact.

He cited a reddit article. I have no idea how whoever cherry picked data to come up with those figures. I did all the math with record from pro football reference. The Jets, Dolphins and Bills were #23-25 in wins during Brady's time in NE. I dont care how a reddit article makes numbers work, the AFC East was absolutely pitiful. There were 22 teams between the Patriots and the next ranked team in wins in the AFC East. Theres only 32 teams in the NFL. I compared JUST the NFC South over Brees time in NOLA, and the 2-4 teams in the NFC South wont 33 more games over that span. Each team in the South played in the Super Bowl during Bradys time in NE. 0 of the the other 3 AFC East teams did.

Wasn't trying to glorify the AFC East. Just stating not as bad as everyone thinks. I think the difference in numbers comes from removing 1st place teams games. That's means you'd also be removing games from every team they played which will give a different record than what you cited.

I think it would be kind of cool to watch them trade the record back and forth for the rest of the season.

And because I like controversy, I blame Taysom for Brady catching up.

Maybe ist all planned by the league
giving us an early bye week, lets Brady easily catch up until he gets to his own week 13 bye week.

so its gonna be a back and forth trade of the record, until the end of the season.

But I assume that Arians will call extra pass plays on the 1-2 yrd line instead of a run play, just to let brady secure the record.

Wasn't trying to glorify the AFC East. Just stating not as bad as everyone thinks. I think the difference in numbers comes from removing 1st place teams games. That's means you'd also be removing games from every team they played which will give a different record than what you cited.

The Dolphins have had 3 winning seasons in the past 15 years.

The Bills have had 3 winning seasons in the past 15 years.

The Jets have had 5 winning seasons in the past 15 years.

The Patriots have had 15 winning seasons in the past 15 years.

One of these is not like the others.

The Dolphins have had 3 winning seasons in the past 15 years.

The Bills have had 3 winning seasons in the past 15 years.

The Jets have had 5 winning seasons in the past 15 years.

The Patriots have had 15 winning seasons in the past 15 years.

One of these is not like the others.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201020-225448_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201020-225448_Chrome.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20201020-225511_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201020-225511_Chrome.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 4
AFC East leads NFL since 2000 in number of times at least 2 teams have had 10+ wins in the same season. So if those teams are 0-2 against the Patriots that means they are 10-4 against the rest of the NFL. Although the Patriots have only swept their division twice in those years

AFC East leads NFL since 2000 in number of times at least 2 teams have had 10+ wins in the same season. So if those teams are 0-2 against the Patriots that means they are 10-4 against the rest of the NFL. Although the Patriots have only swept their division twice in those years

Sould probably start counting those starting in 2002 considering the NFC and AFC South didn't exist in 2000 and 2001.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom