Brandon Flowers as a FS ? (1 Viewer)

Filaphill

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
The safety position in this years draft is not that deep with talent
but what if we can draft a college career CB and convert him to FS.
I know not all college career CB`s can`t make that transition but they
are some that have good physical attributes and instincts well suited for
the safety position. Case in point, Tarnard Jackson of Tampa Bay. A
heavy hitting CB in college that ran a 4.5 40 but has good coverage skills. This
years draft Brandon Flowers of Virginia Tech. This guy is a ball hawk,
lays the wood and has great coverage ability but runs a 4.5 40.
I think this guy can be a good fit at FS what do yall think. Check his
video out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsMNyu77Ld8

I would rather Flowers in the 2nd round as a corner, hes' better than what we have and what I am hoping for if Dorsey or Ellis fall in the 1st.

i've been saying this to my buddies for days.... i think Flowers is better suited to be a Safety...... he could be a destroyer of men in Bullocks spot.....

I think Flowers will improve on his time on his pro day. I also think he'll be an excellent, excellent CB in the right defense in the NFL.

I think this kid can excel at either position. However since he is a CB, and his 40 times weren't terrible he should be given a shot at CB first. This is arguably the most polished man cover corner in the draft. Several great man coverage corners didn't run unbelievable times. A guy by the name of Champ Bailey didn't blow ppl away with his 40 time.

With the execption of a few DE/LB's swithcing roles in a 43 and 34, or a T to a G or a G to a C or vice versa, it is not wise at all to try and make a player into something he simply is not. The DE/LB switch works in the 34 because most 34 defense show the look, but are essentially a 43 becuase the LB winds up on the LOS anyways. It is dangerous to draft someone with the intent of making him fit a need in a positon he has never played because of numbers in shorts. I mean, Colston was slow and projected to be a TE prospect needing to gain weight becuase of his lack of speed. Matt Jones was made into a terrible WR becuase of his abundance of it. Some guys run slow in shorts, but are faster on the field in a game with adrenaline pumping. Some guys run extremely fast in shorts but are slower fully dressed. There is a difference between speed and quickness, and without fluidity at the DB positons, neither matter. It is the combination of all measured skills, intangibles, and game tape that give you an understanding of a player. Sometimes a good CB doesn't have the skills to be a good Nickle or a S, sometimes a terrible CB makes a good S. Trying to predict which does what is way too risky. Draft a player to play his position and only change it if he is savvy enough with experience to do so.

I think Flowers would make an excellent safety if he doesn't succeed at CB. But I believe him to be a good CB. Flowers is an excellent football player with top notch closing speed and instincts. I would love for Flowers to be on my team no matter which one he's playing.

I think Flowers will improve on his time on his pro day. I also think he'll be an excellent, excellent CB in the right defense in the NFL.
+1
flowers is the most complete corner in this draft...

What was his official 40 time? I saw 4.58 right when he ran it (unofficial), which just isn't acceptable for a CB. However, if his official time was more like 4.50 or 4.51, that changes things a bit. I still like him more as a FS, or a Cover-2 CB (if he's drafted by Indy or Tampa or whoever else).

With the execption of a few DE/LB's swithcing roles in a 43 and 34, or a T to a G or a G to a C or vice versa, it is not wise at all to try and make a player into something he simply is not. The DE/LB switch works in the 34 because most 34 defense show the look, but are essentially a 43 becuase the LB winds up on the LOS anyways. It is dangerous to draft someone with the intent of making him fit a need in a positon he has never played because of numbers in shorts. I mean, Colston was slow and projected to be a TE prospect needing to gain weight becuase of his lack of speed. Matt Jones was made into a terrible WR becuase of his abundance of it. Some guys run slow in shorts, but are faster on the field in a game with adrenaline pumping. Some guys run extremely fast in shorts but are slower fully dressed. There is a difference between speed and quickness, and without fluidity at the DB positons, neither matter. It is the combination of all measured skills, intangibles, and game tape that give you an understanding of a player. Sometimes a good CB doesn't have the skills to be a good Nickle or a S, sometimes a terrible CB makes a good S. Trying to predict which does what is way too risky. Draft a player to play his position and only change it if he is savvy enough with experience to do so.

If drafted by us I wouldn`t exactly try to shoehorn him into a position he
wouldn`t feel comfortable in. If you notice in the video he does
a lot of things you expect from a safety instead of a CB
like stopping RB`s behind the line by himself and hitting a TE so hard
he caused a fumble. I also think by drafting him it can be a win win
situation because if it looks like the competion at CB in front of him looks a little
stronger you can try him out at FS just to get him on the field
because I believe this guy has a lot of big play making ability.

he is very comparable to MM. his speed is about the same and his physical and aggressive style is about the same.

he is a press/man corner. a cover 2 man scheme is acceptable but zone would be a waste...

That'd be a high pick to use just to experiment with swapping positions around. I'd keep him at CB.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom