Brandon Flowers? (1 Viewer)

I think he is the most complete corner in the draft and we should take him in the 2nd. I've actually seen one mock with Flowers at 10.

if he's the most complete why not take him in the 1st?

love him for his physical ability but would he be able to cover nfl wrs man to man? the guy ran a 4.6 at the combine thats pretty slow for a guy playing on an island. i think antoine cason is a better second round prospect his worst time was 4.48 while also being widely known for being a shut down corner in college. i think he compares more to mm than brandon flowers. both he and mm are in the same height(6'0) and simular weight 190 range. remember mm only ran a 4.5 but scouts fell in love with his size and coverage ability when he was selected by the packers in the 3rd round of the 99' draft. i think cason fits the bill for a second round guy hes faster, taller and better in man to man coverage than flowers.

flowers is a much more physical tackler than cason but i dont want a db for his tackling skill, i want him to swat down passes, grab int's and make qbs think twice before throwing his way. that is wat cason could bring, the only knock on him is his speed but he timed faster than flowers and mm.

remember flowers is only 5'9'' im not sure how physical he could be in the nfl with most wideouts being bigger and taller than him. can you imagine him one on one with larry fitz, anquan boldin, T.O, marcus colston, or any of these freakishly large wideouts? he would get toyed with trying to jam one of these guys at the line:smilielol:

Last edited:
if he's the most complete why not take him in the 1st?
Just because he is the most complete doesn't mean he is the best. I think he is polished and nfl ready but hasn't nearly the upside of Leodis or DRC.

You get what you see in Flowers, a solid CB who will come up good when you need him to, but never an elite CB. We need an elite CB if we are to spend a top 10 pick so that is why I would risk a significant amount more on Leodis or DRC because you think they have to potential to be as great as what you expect from a top 10 pick.

I do though think that Cason or Flowers will do very well as soon as they play, rather than DRC or Leodis who may take a while to come around.

It's entirely on the FO, if we choose to go CB we can risk a top 10 pick in the hope of finding the dominant shutdown player we need, or we can risk little in getting a player in Cason or Flowers who will contribute right away and be solid through their time in the NFL.

Hmmmmm... Va Tech players... Sump'n in da back of me head is ringing alarm bells and flashing lights--I think all Hokies should be dropped a minimum of 2 rounds for guilt by association. ;)

:tribe:

I read alot of draft sites between classes and I came across something pretty interesting.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/top64.php?draftyear=2008

It tells you how many passes were attempted at a cornerback... Cason and Flowers had similar completion rates, 31% and 25% completions respecively. I was really hoping that we get either of these two in the second round.

Interesting note, Aquib Talib was thrown at 90 times (compared to around 70 for the others). Is this a bad sign?

It isn't always the case BUT how i look at some player is how you excel with the lack of talent around you. You have star players that go to OU or etc. and be great in the pros or avg. BUT in CASON's case he was the best player on that team and excelled at what he did with the lack of talent around him. That to me gives you a good grade in my eyes. With all these other picks they have question about everything from lack of competition to character. All Cason did was solidify himself as one of the best in college, with a lack of a dominant d around him. Yes Stoops has the team going in the right direction but Cason has been on several sub-par wildcat teams. IMO he and mckelvin are the most well-rounded db in that first tier of dbs.

What is the projected round of cason he kinda fell of the map after his 4.59 forty time at the combine..i mean he was thorpe winner

He fell off the map before the combine, when people thought he would run a bad 40. We projected mid-2nd. He ran a 4.48 at the combine and is now considered late-1st-early-2nd.

Flowers, unfortunately, I'll always associate with how much of a pinhead Mike Mayock is. The only person to rank him as his #1 CB, saying how physical he is, blah blah blah. He says he doesn't care about 40-times; he's got game speed which is all that matters. (Chris Houston sure skyrocketed in his rankings for that very reason last year.) Lo and behold, combine comes, he doesn't run a great 40 and now he's down to #5 on the list.

Last edited:
Flowers is too slow to play in our defense. He would get toasted like Fred Thomas covering NFL wide receivers. Let's get Tracy Porter instead. He is fast as hell and plays man to man better than anyone in the draft.

It isn't always the case BUT how i look at some player is how you excel with the lack of talent around you. You have star players that go to OU or etc. and be great in the pros or avg. BUT in CASON's case he was the best player on that team and excelled at what he did with the lack of talent around him. That to me gives you a good grade in my eyes. With all these other picks they have question about everything from lack of competition to character. All Cason did was solidify himself as one of the best in college, with a lack of a dominant d around him. Yes Stoops has the team going in the right direction but Cason has been on several sub-par wildcat teams. IMO he and mckelvin are the most well-rounded db in that first tier of dbs.

i think hes our best shot hell prolly be there in the 2nd and we could use hes cover skills.

Flowers is too slow to play in our defense. He would get toasted like Fred Thomas covering NFL wide receivers. Let's get Tracy Porter instead. He is fast as hell and plays man to man better than anyone in the draft.

i agree with u on the flowers comment but tracy porter better in man 2 man than anyone in the draft? i think mike jenkins and antone cason would disagree. antoine did win the thorpe award, and was a shutdown corner at az in a man 2 man d. same for mike

Last edited:
i agree with u on the flowers comment but tracy porter better in man 2 man than anyone in the draft? i think mike jenkins and antone cason would disagree. antoine did win the thorpe award, and was a shutdown corner at az in a man 2 man d. same for mike

I've seen Mike Jenkins play in person numerous times because I live in Tampa. Guy is way overrated. Probably the reason he is dropping in most analysts mock drafts. Bad attitude too. I do like Cason, but Porter is better suited to play man to man in the NFL.

I've seen Mike Jenkins play in person numerous times because I live in Tampa. Guy is way overrated. Probably the reason he is dropping in most analysts mock drafts. Bad attitude too. I do like Cason, but Porter is better suited to play man to man in the NFL.

I also read somewhere that Porter was the best man coverage corner in the draft. Maybe somebody can chime in on this, but how come I've never really heard of him then.

Cason - Talib - Flowers are the corners I would target for the second round. The first two probably won't be there at 40 though.

I really like Flowers, he draws many comparisons to Antoine Winfield and thats GREAT company.

He's gonna be one of those guys that teams either love, or stay away from. I believe our 2nd round pick will be to late for him, and our first is to high. I see him gone in the 25-32 range. However this class is very loaded at corner with about 6 with 1st round grades.

I believe it goes something like this

Player / Slot Range

McClevin - 7-10
DRC - 10-13
Jenkins - 16-22
Flowers - 22-30
Talib - 22 - 30
Porter - 30 - 38
Cason - 30 - 38

I'm happy with any of those 6 in the 2nd round....and i'm sure one will fall.

Thats why i'm really rooting to land a DT in the first, even if we move up to get our guy beit Ellis or Dorsey.

For the record I've watched several hokie games and always been intrigued by Flowers and thought he was underrated. He has great instincts and is quick to the ball and on top of that is a good tackler. But I'm turned off of him now.

Did anyone click on the link on the 1st page? If not here it is again...http://thebiglead.com/?p=4061

CB, Brandon Flowers (Jr.)
Draft Projection: 2nd Round
Height: 5-10 | Weight: 200

Flowers is a naturally-gifted defender with excellent ball skills. He has excellent footwork and back pedals fluidly. He has great agility and doesn't lose momentum transitioning in coverage. He breaks well on the pass and instantly gets into an offensive position in defense. He's an instinctive defender who has a great burst of speed, diagnoses a play, and defends the run well. Flowers is an underclassman who's physically ready to take his game to the next level, but it remains to be seen if he'll do so. He's an elite corner with promising ability and is a definite Day One selection.

Scout.com: NFL Draft Team Spotlight: Virginia Tech

Brandon Flowers Cornerback | Junior | Virginia Tech
Height: 5-93/4 | Weight: 189 | 40-Time: 4.58

Strengths:
Has a solid build...Good athleticism...Physical, aggressive and a big hitter...Smooth with fluid hips and transitions well...Has excellent feet...Quick with a burst to close and plays faster than he times...Good instincts and awareness...A playmaker with nice hands, body control and ball skills...Extremely confident..Has a short memory.

Weaknesses:
Does not have great height...Timed speed is below average...Has some character questions...Is too aggressive at times and will gamble..He will go for the knockout blow rather than wrap up as a tackler...Inconsistent...Durability may be a concern.

Notes:
Prepped at the famed Hargrave Military Academy in 2003...Played in one game in 2004 before sustaining a right fibular fracture and redshirting...He was a two-year starter for the Hokies...Off-the-field concerns emerged when he posted a picture featuring a large amount of cash and a small baggie of what appears to be drugs along with a disturbing caption on his Facebook page...Excellent all-around corner with superb man coverage skills...Doesn't have all the physical tools that you look for but has starting potential...Not in the same class as DeAngelo Hall but he may be a better pro prospect than former Hokies like Eric Green / Jimmy Williams were.

Brandon Flowers Scouting Report - 2008 NFL Draft Prospect

I wouldn't mind him in the 2nd round, but I think the character concerns will mean we steer clear

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom