Brandon Marshall-Being Held for Playoffs? (1 Viewer)

SkiLLessOne

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
I dont make threads often but this particular topic has had my interest ever since he signed with the Saints. At this point all we can rely on is the info we get from coach which in typical fashion is very limited. I know we get Ginn back soon but I feel with just him and Thomas as sure passing options that is still too risky and leaves little room for error. With us now being the #1 seed and having a somewhat comfortable path to maintaining that position with our current players I wonder if Payton is just keeping Marshall healthy going into the post season so we have another veteran receiver ready to go from the jump.

To have Thomas, Marshall, Ginn, and then the options of Kamara/Ingram for the run game and possible screen options I feel that would be a pretty legit offensive setup. Curious what you smarter football minds might think if this is whats happening or is it simply Marshall is not catching up on the playbook or progressing as quickly as Payton would hope.

Curious what you smarter football minds might think if this is whats happening or is it simply Marshall is not catching up on the playbook or progressing as quickly as Payton would hope

Not really a smart football mind, but I trust Payton would not have signed him if he didn't visualize a scheme to fit him in. I'll admit, I was very surprised that we didn't activate him to provide some veteran depth after the dropped passes in the Dallas game.

I WOULD be very surprised though if we don't see him on the field before the playoffs for a few snaps. I don't think we want to just throw a new accquisition on the field in a playoff situation. Going out on a limb, I'd say that if we don't see him before the playoffs, we won't see him at all as a Saint ever.

Then again, what do I know? Most veterans who still have some gas in the tank can still ball for a few games then they peter out. Maybe SP figures he can get a few games out of Marshall and they're best saved for the playoffs. Marshall does have a lot of big-game experience.

I don’t think Payton is holding him for the playoffs. I think Marshall is simply an insurance policy in the event a receiver gets injured, or Ginn is unable to return from IR. I also think, Marshall is doing well and Payton feels the need to keep him around and practicing, keeping him in the playbook and in shape, ready to be activated, in a moment’s notice, instead of having to pull in a receiver right off the street. Payton has an engine idling, waiting to put the car in drive, only if he needs to drive it. If not, he will just keep it idling. No harm, no foul, just keeping that engine warm.

I sure wish fans would stop talking like Ginn will be back playing real soon! I get the desire to have him back but he’s currently on I R and has not played any true football for 8 weeks! Even if he is working out, he’s not practicing, he would have to be active for that. The Saints have three weeks after activating him before actually placing him on roster. That’s practice time he needs. Bringing him back too soon will only get him hurt, like a hammy problem, which happens to receivers all the time.

If we do see him play, expect to see him the last game or possibly the first playoff game!

Need to sign, draft, or trade for a # 2 receiver, and legit TE (Watson is terrible) in the offseason. The current group (Sans MT) is incapable of getting seperation, and/or catching passes consistently. I'd also sign a legit # 2 back if MI leaves. A.K. seems to be getting worn out.

My fear is we will be in a close playoff game, MT will be double teamed, and D.B. won't be able to find anyone else. Thus, I give these other receivers another chance this Monday. If the struggles keep up, activate B.M. for Pittsburgh.

Last edited:
I thought he would play this weekend but the weather was the reason he didn’t

Need to sign, draft, or trade for a # 2 receiver, and legit TE (Watson is terrible) in the offseason. The current group (Sans MT) is incapable of getting seperation, and/or catching passes consistently. I'd also sign a legit # 2 back if MI leaves. A.K. seems to be getting worn out.

My fear is we will be in a close playoff game, MT will be double teamed, and D.B. won't be able to find anyone else. Thus, I give these other receivers another chance this Monday. If the struggles keep up, activate B.M. for Pittsburgh.

Stopped reading at Watson is terrible lol

Our TE production is down because we don’t have a number 2 receiver or a speed receiver to take the top of the D. If we did, we’d see the TE worked down the seam more. I agree we have to address TE, but Watson isn’t nearly as bad as the other receivers outside of Thomas have been.

When Ginn comes back I expect Marshall will be released, we won't keep 7 receivers and Marshall doesn't play special teams.

i dont think they activate ginn now that ola is injured, they will bring back lereibus. they have enough WR's with MArshall waiting...

I think Ginn is brought back and at this point if Marshall isn't on the active roster these last 3 weeks, he is strictly on the team as injury insurance.

Stopped reading at Watson is terrible lol

Our TE production is down because we don’t have a number 2 receiver or a speed receiver to take the top of the D. If we did, we’d see the TE worked down the seam more. I agree we have to address TE, but Watson isn’t nearly as bad as the other receivers outside of Thomas have been.
Dan Arnold is no slouch. He’s agile, athletic, and fast... attributes that are pure gold for a tight end. His blocking could stand an upgrade, but it isn’t a liability at all. I believe he’ll be working closely with our strength and conditioning coach to bulk up another 10 lbs.

As far as his ceiling/upside, I think it’s higher than Greg Olsen in his prime.

JMO

:gosaints:

I don't think Ginn will make it back for the year. He is still on IR and even of he gets brought back, he still cannot play for another 2 weeks. I think we are getting very close to seeing BM hit the field. Payton did not bring him in for an insurance policy. He brought a guy like that in because he felt he could make the team better. Remember, it was Dez Bryant that was signed first. This was/is not an insurance policy. As the WR group outside of Thomas continues to struggle, Payton will feel compelled to get BM in there. I think he's just trying to get BM in tune with the passing game. Timing, intricacies with the routes they run, Drew's audible and what he expects on certain routes, etc. BM should be getting up to speed with all of this.

We already brought Tommy LL back from IR, which I didn't totally understand. If LeReibus is available to come back, then I see us doing that before Ted.

I loved what Ginn did for us last year, but he's 33 and coming off a lower body injury. Sucks that we are ailing in two different spots on the roster. It will be an important decision to make.

Any type of good player even a veteran that's never won a SB, is a plus....hungry and time tested....we can hold him out until the playoffs for all I care...having Brandon Marshall as a backup is pretty damn good if you ask me.... :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom