Brandon Marshall is a Very Special Human Being to be Admired Greatly (1 Viewer)

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
Brandon Marshall has a serious mental illness. Sources I know say its an extreme form of Bipolar - not Pete for a change, from a Doctor. Instead of hiding his mental illness, he started a campaign crusade for others with severe mental illness. I have so much respect for him. If the fates allow him to keep his head together, we have picked a gem of a player that will do nothing but increase the already phenomenal locker room we already have. Pete told me that unlike Dez, Marshall has kept himself in top playing condition. He said that physically Marshall is a beast. Pete likes this signing much more than Dez.

Good on You Brandon and may God's breath be always at your back. What a courageous and classy guy!

Lesser known to the football masses is his diagnosis of Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD). Instead of shying away from it, Marshall bravely owned it, and is making a difference in others’ lives, too.

This pro is an inspiration to young people with a mental health condition—a talented, trendy, handsome 30-year-old with a commitment to ending stigma and supporting others that is just as important to him as his play on the field.

The Brandon Marshall Foundation strives to show those with mental illness that they do not have to live in silence. Every penny of donations to the foundation goes directly to services, including early intervention for kids, funding organizations that help people with BPD, lending emotional support to victims of abuse, and more.

Last NFL season, Marshall wore lime green cleats to support mental illness during a game. I was pleasantly surprised to see a famous athlete forwarding the cause of mental health awareness.

His wife, Michi Nogami, is a fantastic partner and supporter of the foundation as well. This month, a $25+ donation also gets you Michi’s OPI nail color, Crazy Stigma Green. It’s a beautiful shade, and you’re supporting their organization, too.

Brandon Marshall's Journey

I’ve spoken with a few people who’s opinions I really respect and they all say the same thing. They are more excited about Marshall as well. We really just need him to make a few plays here and there on 3rd downs and in the red zone. He just has to do enough for defenses to have to allocate resources to his side so Kamara and/or Thomas free up a bit. I’m optimistic.

For Dez I still think there’s a chance he can be motivated about coming back with us to get through his rehab and join us next year. That’s why throwing up the “x” was important. He’s wanted here more so than anywhere else and he knows it.

Thanks for posting, Swimmer.

This "A Football Life" segment (below) did a good job in telling the story.

:gosaints:

Thank you very much ndcc and thanks for the link to the video . I felt like it was an honor to do this post. Marshall is not your normal pro athlete. What a courageous young man!

Was Dez injury related to not being in shape / nfl ready?

Or a more of a freak accident?

Bipolar is a mental disorder affecting the brain.

From what I understand, Marshall has borderline personality disorder, which is different. It is a learned maladaptive set of personality traits which can cause the person to be extremely volatile and unpredictable. These were some of the most manipulative and difficult patients we've dealt with. Yet, they can be the most charming and seemingly trustworthy. Seems Marshall has got his sheet together and has been getting the help he needs. Using his platform to raise awareness for others will help him continue on this path.

Was Dez injury related to not being in shape / nfl ready?

Or a more of a freak accident?

According to Coach Pete, Dez was not in football shape. He knows that. He thinks Dez gave up a while back of getting signed this year so he let his condition slip. Every time I hear Coach Payton say that Dez has 5 lbs. to lose, I just kept hearing Pete, "He is not is football condition right now."

Personally - I really likes the Dez acquisition, especially when his brand new teammates just raved about him.

Bipolar is a mental disorder affecting the brain.

From what I understand, Marshall has borderline personality disorder, which is different. It is a learned maladaptive set of personality traits which can cause the person to be extremely volatile and unpredictable. These were some of the most manipulative and difficult patients we've dealt with. Yet, they can be the most charming and seemingly trustworthy. Seems Marshall has got his shirt together and has been getting the help he needs. Using his platform to raise awareness for others will help him continue on this path.

Hey Bronson! You sound like you really know this stuff. Personally, I am just passing along what I heard from who I thought was reliable. I am nutzo and have been dealing with that my entire life, just ask Andrus and Dan in L :) - but having a pretty good time with it - lol. What I was told is that when he hit one of the 2 extremes of bipolar, he became very angry and lost it. That fits perfectly with what you said. All this is over my head. Whichever mental disorder, I just have tremendous respect for the young man. You are likely spot-on. Thanks!

i saw this interview he had years ago before they had it defined is BPD.

So now we got a certified crazy person on the team ;)

he's not cancer in the locker room just a little nuts :)

Brandon Marshall has a serious mental illness. Sources I know say its an extreme form of Bipolar - not Pete for a change, from a Doctor. Instead of hiding his mental illness, he started a campaign crusade for others with severe mental illness. I have so much respect for him. If the fates allow him to keep his head together, we have picked a gem of a player that will do nothing but increase the already phenomenal locker room we already have. Pete told me that unlike Dez, Marshall has kept himself in top playing condition. He said that physically Marshall is a beast. Pete likes this signing much more than Dez.

Good on You Brandon and may God's breath be always at your back. What a courageous and classy guy!

Brandon Marshall's Journey

Outstanding!

i saw this interview he had years ago before they had it defined is BPD.

So now we got a certified crazy person on the team ;)

he's not cancer in the locker room just a little nuts :)

Are you talking about me??? lmao. Who Dat Brother!

Hey Bronson! You sound like you really know this stuff. Personally, I am just passing along what I heard from who I thought was reliable. I am nutzo and have been dealing with that my entire life, just ask Andrus and Dan in L :) - but having a pretty good time with it - lol. What I was told is that when he hit one of the 2 extremes of bipolar, he became very angry and lost it. That fits perfectly with what you said. All this is over my head. Whichever mental disorder, I just have tremendous respect for the young man. You are likely spot-on. Thanks!
could be a dual diagnosis

Comparing bipolar and borderline is like comparing mild allergies to a virus......as in it's best not to. As Bronson said, Bipolar Disorder is believed to be a chemical imbalance in the brain. A mood disorder. The treatment for that is medication in combination with medium scaled down to light therapy with a good chance of remission if worked at properly.

Borderline Personality Disorder is a Personality Disorder (easily named category). It has more to do with thought processes and how a person perceives the World and takes in information. The treatment is medication with intense therapy. The behaviors can be greatly reduced but since it is basically the entire way a person thinks, remission isn't the goal. Usually it's just trying to lessen the behaviors with lifelong intense to possibly scaled down medium therapy.

Really I'll bogart this thread to get on my soapbox that NO ONE SHOULD EVER BE ON ANY SORT OF PSYCH MED (INCLUDING ADHD, ANXIETY, OR ANTIDEPRESSANTS) WITHOUT BEING IN SOME FORM OF THERAPY!!!!

Even if it's just being connected to a counselor that you see as needed.......it's disgusting how many doctors prescribe psych meds without also getting someone in therapy. That's like saying "I'll keep giving you pain meds for that totally treatable broken bone but I won't do anything to actually fix it".

But back to Marshall. Yeah. BPD is like the mackdaddy of SPMIs. Takes a special kind of therapist to be able to work with them. Massive props to him if he has the behaviors under any form of control. It is an immense amount of work and effort. It takes a complete team approach to work on it. And that's hard to coordinate. I've had a handful of BPD clients over the past decade. It seems they all faded out at some point.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom