Brandon Marshall is a Very Special Human Being to be Admired Greatly (1 Viewer)

Thanks for sharing. People need to realize that there isn’t a difference between “physical” and “mental”. The brain IS a physical entity. Physiatric illness is just the same as any other chronic illness. You would try and hide the fact that you had a severe peanut allergy or type 1 diabetes.

We need to educate people that words like “crazy” keep people from seeking help (which can lead to death and other life destroying events). Our society must learn how to make this conversation just like any other medical condition.

Truly beautiful ^

Thanks. I appreciate your understanding. We need to be sure that we aren’t adding to the problem. People who are struggling with mental health issues are in fact in a “fragile” and “unique” place (so yes they do need to be treated like snowflakes for their own survival).

I am especially sensitive to the term “crazy” because I’ve seen it’s destructive force. I’ve had friends hide in plain site only to lose their lives to suicide. These are some of the most serious illnesses around and they are not to be taken lightly.

Thank you again. I hope everyone will be sure not to talk about this subject so flippantly.

thepenguin94 - I so very much respect your post. When I started coming out of my mental disorder, I found it helpful with normies to try to lighten up the conversations with them and just say things like, "I'm just a nut - but a life loving nut." "Yes, I am crazy. I am certified. You are likely crazier but not certified - lol." I was just trying find a language where normies would not immediately respond to the stigmas. It's a difficult subject to discuss. And imagine going to an interview for a job and saying, "Great worker, team player, strong references, but I occasionally have some issues with bipolar disorder." I doubt that will get many job offers. We have a ways to go on this crusade and what is so cool, we now have a big named player who is a open crusader to make this topic one that can be had like cancer or diabetes.

Well I guess this is open up, share and be real thread. I was born with Grade 5 Panic disorder. On both sides of the family, by the time I was 20, we had 4 suicides and 3 alcoholics. I know a couple of them had Panic. Once you have had a Grade 5 Panic attack which fully emulates a massive heart attack, you will never forget it the rest of your life. Ask the PTSD Veterans who return from house to house combat. When they get back, they start having panic attacks. They will tell you the panic attacks are far more scary than combat. I teach classes for vets about panic disorder and do one on one counseling.

I am one of the very fortunate. My mom knew something was wrong and she made sure I received all the help I needed. I've also been fortunate to be able to afford treatment and therapy throughout my life. My Doc at the time got me on the 1st experimental Panic Disorder trial for Prozac. It worked for me and gave me my life back. It still took 5 more years of therapy. I never reported any visit, treatment or drugs to the insurance companies knowing I would never get health insurance again.

I lived a dual life until I was 30. There was the perfectly normal me that no one would even imagine had a problem. Then I had a small 2nd set of friends who knew my dark side. When panic onset, I simply hid in my house for days until it passed. I hid it so well no one but a few "dark" friends knew.

I got so lucky with Prozac and a bunch of great and kind therapists. I've lived a perfectly normal life since then, Lol - well, beside the panic disorder, I am little nutzo anyway. The nutzo is the fun part. I have so much sympathy for those that cannot afford a therapist or get misdiagnosed or whose Doctors don't understand and prescribe wrong drugs which can make things worse.

Good on You Brandon. We have deep respect and admiration for your courage! Welcome to the Who Dat family - Brother!
Good post. I have/had the same. And it definitely brings on a mild form of PTSD.

The anxiety and PTSD is constantly fighting the logical side of your brain that knows it was just a panic attack and that your body is fine, it's constantly telling you 'what if you have "another" heart attack? what if it kills you this time?' until eventually your brain gives in and you have another major panic attack and restart the cycle.

It's a very hard cycle to break but thankfully I am over the worst of it.

Good post. I have/had the same. And it definitely brings on a mild form of PTSD.

The anxiety and PTSD is constantly fighting the logical side of your brain that knows it was just a panic attack and that your body is fine, it's constantly telling you 'what if you have "another" heart attack? what if it kills you this time?' until eventually your brain gives in and you have another major panic attack and restart the cycle.

It's a very hard cycle to break but thankfully I am over the worst of it.

You well know DoubleSaint. Bless you Brother and congrats on your recovery. We also know that it's truly never over completely. However, when I look back on my life now, the panic disorder shaped my spiritual life, values and deep appreciation for the beauty in life and the true value of a really good friend.

Good on You Brother.

And special thanks to Andrus and the mods, except for Dan in L (grumpy old phart Haha, and kidding aside, he is a truly good hearted, fun and caring guy) for providing us the chance to work together on this.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom