Brandon Marshall is a Very Special Human Being to be Admired Greatly (1 Viewer)

Just saw Brandon Marshall stroll cross the screen with a knee injury...im like damn. Saints cant catch a break. Unfortunately is was the Broncos Brandon Marshall...lol.

He has never made the playoffs, that says a lot about the dysfunction of the teams he has played on. We have a good locker room on a winning team, lets hope he stays positive. I use to think he was the best WR in the NFL, just had poor QBs, does own the record for most catches in an NFL game I believe.

For anyone curious, this a pretty cool article that gives pop culture examples of BPD. Keep in mind that it was written by someone that has BPD, I think it slightly downplays the irrationality of the mindset of the individual. One of the main aspects they don't hit on too much is the black and white thinking. For example, when I was interning in the field, I would drive around in a van picking clients up. We had a rule No Drinks On The Van. The company (and I) would let people have water on the van, though. No big deal. I let a client bring water on once and one of our BPD clients went nuts. Like full on Karen returning Black Friday stuff to Kohls. Her beef lasted days and she went all the way to corporate on us. Lol. That's black and white thinking. Her mind just couldn't grasp that grey area of water being an exception.

But interesting, I've never encountered a male with BPD. It's probably misdiagnosed in men. We just scorn them. The representation this article gives of a guy with BPD is Anakin Skywalker in Ep II and III. My issue with that analogy is that real events set Anakin off whereas a person with BPD often doesn't have that....but it's a decent example. Some people think Scarlet O'Hara but that's actually more Histrionic Personality Disorder than BPD.

https://themighty.com/2017/11/movies-borderline-personality-disorder-bpd/
Some people may disagree with me at first, but as someone with BPD, I’m going to have to say Anakin Skywalker from “Star Wars.” I highly relate to him… The symptoms he portrays of BPD include preoccupations and fears of abandonment and loss, separation difficulties, intense passion and sensitive emotional responses, his sensitivity to potential slights, impulsiveness, anger bursts, feelings of being lost, empty and extremely unsure about identity, paranoid ideation about who is on his side and the frequent intense shifts between what he thinks, does and how he feels towards people in his life — like splitting. It’s all shown throughout the second and parts of the third movie.

Last edited:
I was blown away by his “A Football Life” story. As someone who falls into that 20% (bipolar ll) I know the vulnerability and the heeling power of being in the open. His openness and advocacy is saving lives. This is what a true hero looks like.

I was blown away by his “A Football Life” story. As someone who falls into that 20% (bipolar ll) I know the vulnerability and the heeling power of being in the open. His openness and advocacy is saving lives. This is what a true hero looks like.

Thanx Brandon..

And :

@ penguin94
...also
@ Bronson,
...also
@ Swimmer
...and anyone I can't remember...

This is a thread that means alot because I've also struggled with a few different disorders.

It's all about getting treatment from therapists, psychiatrists, doctors [[ & often time social workers as well]] who have GOOD REPUTATIONS.

At age 56, I've been in treatment by many different folks, due to my career (worked all around the country for decades, bak in Nola now).

If any of you have friends/relatives that might seem to need help,
Do whatever u can in order to find caring professionals with good reputations,

And of course in Brandon Marshall's case, the Saints organization certainly has the right people in addition to a locker room full of fun,
supportive and dedicated players.

I hope Gail Benson, Loomis & Sean do their best to show the league how much this good attitude matters.

It can reach millions of people & fans ... especially kids.. if top level Teams & Org's make the benefits clear.

Actions effect everyone in a wired planet. Kids learn alot from games & sports that they plug unto more than ever.

Keep up the good work.

Bipolar is a mental disorder affecting the brain.

From what I understand, Marshall has borderline personality disorder, which is different. It is a learned maladaptive set of personality traits which can cause the person to be extremely volatile and unpredictable. These were some of the most manipulative and difficult patients we've dealt with. Yet, they can be the most charming and seemingly trustworthy. Seems Marshall has got his shirt together and has been getting the help he needs. Using his platform to raise awareness for others will help him continue on this path.

From the National Institute of Health Website:

The cause of borderline personality disorder is not yet clear, but research suggests that genetics, brain structure and function, and environmental, cultural, and social factors play a role, or may increase the risk for developing borderline personality disorder.

https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/borderline-personality-disorder/index.shtml

Comparing bipolar and borderline is like comparing mild allergies to a virus......as in it's best not to. As Bronson said, Bipolar Disorder is believed to be a chemical imbalance in the brain. A mood disorder. The treatment for that is medication in combination with medium scaled down to light therapy with a good chance of remission if worked at properly.

Borderline Personality Disorder is a Personality Disorder (easily named category). It has more to do with thought processes and how a person perceives the World and takes in information. The treatment is medication with intense therapy. The behaviors can be greatly reduced but since it is basically the entire way a person thinks, remission isn't the goal. Usually it's just trying to lessen the behaviors with lifelong intense to possibly scaled down medium therapy.

Really I'll bogart this thread to get on my soapbox that NO ONE SHOULD EVER BE ON ANY SORT OF PSYCH MED (INCLUDING ADHD, ANXIETY, OR ANTIDEPRESSANTS) WITHOUT BEING IN SOME FORM OF THERAPY!!!!

Even if it's just being connected to a counselor that you see as needed.......it's disgusting how many doctors prescribe psych meds without also getting someone in therapy. That's like saying "I'll keep giving you pain meds for that totally treatable broken bone but I won't do anything to actually fix it".

But back to Marshall. Yeah. BPD is like the mackdaddy of SPMIs. Takes a special kind of therapist to be able to work with them. Massive props to him if he has the behaviors under any form of control. It is an immense amount of work and effort. It takes a complete team approach to work on it. And that's hard to coordinate. I've had a handful of BPD clients over the past decade. It seems they all faded out at some point.

Well I guess this is open up, share and be real thread. I was born with Grade 5 Panic disorder. On both sides of the family, by the time I was 20, we had 4 suicides and 3 alcoholics. I know a couple of them had Panic. Once you have had a Grade 5 Panic attack which fully emulates a massive heart attack, you will never forget it the rest of your life. Ask the PTSD Veterans who return from house to house combat. When they get back, they start having panic attacks. They will tell you the panic attacks are far more scary than combat. I teach classes for vets about panic disorder and do one on one counseling.

I am one of the very fortunate. My mom knew something was wrong and she made sure I received all the help I needed. I've also been fortunate to be able to afford treatment and therapy throughout my life. My Doc at the time got me on the 1st experimental Panic Disorder trial for Prozac. It worked for me and gave me my life back. It still took 5 more years of therapy. I never reported any visit, treatment or drugs to the insurance companies knowing I would never get health insurance again.

I lived a dual life until I was 30. There was the perfectly normal me that no one would even imagine had a problem. Then I had a small 2nd set of friends who knew my dark side. When panic onset, I simply hid in my house for days until it passed. I hid it so well no one but a few "dark" friends knew.

I got so lucky with Prozac and a bunch of great and kind therapists. I've lived a perfectly normal life since then, Lol - well, beside the panic disorder, I am little nutzo anyway. The nutzo is the fun part. I have so much sympathy for those that cannot afford a therapist or get misdiagnosed or whose Doctors don't understand and prescribe wrong drugs which can make things worse.

Good on You Brandon. We have deep respect and admiration for your courage! Welcome to the Who Dat family - Brother!

I've struggled with these things as well and can definitely tell you that Brandon Marshall, specifically, being open an honest about his struggles helped me out.

It helped knowing that even people that seem to have the world at their fingertips can struggle with some of the same stuff I do. As a man, it felt like society was just telling me to "suck it up, buttercup".

Brandon Marshall and other guys being open about their stuff really helped me personally and, for that, I'm forever grateful

I've struggled with these things as well and can definitely tell you that Brandon Marshall, specifically, being open an honest about his struggles helped me out.

It helped knowing that even people that seem to have the world at their fingertips can struggle with some of the same stuff I do. As a man, it felt like society was just telling me to "suck it up, buttercup".

Brandon Marshall and other guys being open about their stuff really helped me personally and, for that, I'm forever grateful

Great share. Thx so much!

i saw this interview he had years ago before they had it defined is BPD.

So now we got a certified crazy person on the team ;)

he's not cancer in the locker room just a little nuts :)

I would ask the kids to remove posts like this.

“Certified Crazy Person” this is derogatory and shameful. Why are we allowing this on this site, but banning people for other slurs.

I would ask the kids to remove posts like this.

“Certified Crazy Person” this is derogatory and shameful. Why are we allowing this on this site, but banning people for other slurs.
Because "certified crazy person" isn't generally thought of as a slur. If you take offense perhaps you can get others riled up about it and turn it into a slur. Good luck, but personally I'm not rooting for your success. There are enough offensive slurs as it is, no need for more.

Because "certified crazy person" isn't generally thought of as a slur. If you take offense perhaps you can get others riled up about it and turn it into a slur. Good luck, but personally I'm not rooting for your success. There are enough offensive slurs as it is, no need for more.

Okay, we don't need to have this debate here in this positive thread about dealing with mental health issues. It's just not good form. If you want to start a slur thread on PDB and invite thepenguin94 to join, fine. But let's leave this line of discussion.

Well I guess this is open up, share and be real thread. I was born with Grade 5 Panic disorder. On both sides of the family, by the time I was 20, we had 4 suicides and 3 alcoholics. I know a couple of them had Panic. Once you have had a Grade 5 Panic attack which fully emulates a massive heart attack, you will never forget it the rest of your life. Ask the PTSD Veterans who return from house to house combat. When they get back, they start having panic attacks. They will tell you the panic attacks are far more scary than combat. I teach classes for vets about panic disorder and do one on one counseling.

I am one of the very fortunate. My mom knew something was wrong and she made sure I received all the help I needed. I've also been fortunate to be able to afford treatment and therapy throughout my life. My Doc at the time got me on the 1st experimental Panic Disorder trial for Prozac. It worked for me and gave me my life back. It still took 5 more years of therapy. I never reported any visit, treatment or drugs to the insurance companies knowing I would never get health insurance again.

I lived a dual life until I was 30. There was the perfectly normal me that no one would even imagine had a problem. Then I had a small 2nd set of friends who knew my dark side. When panic onset, I simply hid in my house for days until it passed. I hid it so well no one but a few "dark" friends knew.

I got so lucky with Prozac and a bunch of great and kind therapists. I've lived a perfectly normal life since then, Lol - well, beside the panic disorder, I am little nutzo anyway. The nutzo is the fun part. I have so much sympathy for those that cannot afford a therapist or get misdiagnosed or whose Doctors don't understand and prescribe wrong drugs which can make things worse.

Good on You Brandon. We have deep respect and admiration for your courage! Welcome to the Who Dat family - Brother!

Thanks for sharing. People need to realize that there isn’t a difference between “physical” and “mental”. The brain IS a physical entity. Physiatric illness is just the same as any other chronic illness. You would try and hide the fact that you had a severe peanut allergy or type 1 diabetes.

We need to educate people that words like “crazy” keep people from seeking help (which can lead to death and other life destroying events). Our society must learn how to make this conversation just like any other medical condition.

i saw this interview he had years ago before they had it defined is BPD.

So now we got a certified crazy person on the team ;)

he's not cancer in the locker room just a little nuts :)
We're all a little nuts.

Okay, we don't need to have this debate here in this positive thread about dealing with mental health issues. It's just not good form. If you want to start a slur thread on PDB and invite thepenguin94 to join, fine. But let's leave this line of discussion.
OK, my apologies.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom