Brandon Marshall is a Very Special Human Being to be Admired Greatly (1 Viewer)

There was a rockets player who retired because of his mental illness either during his rookie year or his second. Dude was too anxious to fly etc. A lot of athletes recently have come out to talk mental illness. Phelps, Kevin Love come to mind.

Seriously? Is this how backwards our fan base is? I just told my story of my own struggles with menta health and this person tries to pull the “snowflake” card. I’m just wondering have you ever tried to kill yourself? Have you ever been called crazy when you were struggling with mental health issues? You need to go look in the mirror.
I'm really sorry man, I didn't read your other post. Really, sorry. I call myself crazy all the time.

Was Dez injury related to not being in shape / nfl ready?

Or a more of a freak accident?
When pressure and force collide, I don't care what type of shape you're in, it's going to tear/rupture. When I tore mine, I was in the best shape of my life, and I have always been in very good shape. Look at how many elite athletes have had this injury.

Yeah, you need to step down off your soapbox. There are people like myself who cannot do talk therapy (it happens to us who have an IQ over 140–we can predict the questions). Your statement comes from ignorance. Talk therapy is like physical therapy. All three psychiatrists I’ve seen in my life have acknowledged that “awareness is not my issue” and that I need medication to stop my brain from having seizures (which is what happens when you have bipolar II). I’m thankful for everyone’s support, but please don’t dole out medical advice. It’s not helpful and it can be hurtful to those who are struggling.

The ignorance is assuming therapy is all "talk therapy". There is so much more than that. Especially when dealing with BPD. A more behavioral approach is needed. Dialectical Behavioral Therapy is one that I use frequently and people who don't repond well with "talk therapy" tend to have great results with it.

I admire you for sharing but your message is very dangerous in that it is gives your anecdotal view on one approach while ignoring so many others and may deter people from getting the help that they need. There's also bad therapists and....like all relationships....some therapists might be amazing but the personality just doesn't jive with you. People should try out multiple therapists and many different approaches. There's thousands of different approaches to therapy and I have yet to come across a single person that nothing works for....but I've met a lot that most approaches turn away. And that's more of a rant on my colleagues than you. There are too many therapists that are lazy and just do the "talk therapy" approach.

I'm sorry I set you off in some way. If I were just talking about "talk therapy" I would agree. But you kind of pigeon holed my point to just one aspect. And it's a pretty dangerous message to send to people who may be on the verge of asking for help but get dismayed by this very anecdotal and incomplete viewpoint.

Last edited:
When pressure and force collide, I don't care what type of shape you're in, it's going to tear/rupture. When I tore mine, I was in the best shape of my life, and I have always been in very good shape. Look at how many elite athletes have had this injury.

But if Pete said it, it is true.

Dude. Stop trying to tell people what to do. All I said was leave the diagnosis and prescription to the experts. What’s dangerous is giving medical advice when you are not a doctor.

Can we please start deleting these replies and get back to the topic at hand. There are other fan bases looking at these threads and laughing at these post. There’s a reason why people think we are backwards.

No, man. You called my view ignorant and then completely went on to misrepresent what I said to fit a very anecdotal narrow view. Why would your comment misrepresenting my statement (and attacking me) stand but my rebuttal pointing it out the inaccuracy be deleted?

OK, my apologies.

Thanks. I appreciate your understanding. We need to be sure that we aren’t adding to the problem. People who are struggling with mental health issues are in fact in a “fragile” and “unique” place (so yes they do need to be treated like snowflakes for their own survival).

I am especially sensitive to the term “crazy” because I’ve seen it’s destructive force. I’ve had friends hide in plain site only to lose their lives to suicide. These are some of the most serious illnesses around and they are not to be taken lightly.

Thank you again. I hope everyone will be sure not to talk about this subject so flippantly.

i saw this interview he had years ago before they had it defined is BPD.

So now we got a certified crazy person on the team ;)

he's not cancer in the locker room just a little nuts :)

—Can we start deleting these post so we can get back to the main topic — already deleting mine

No, man. You called my view ignorant and then completely went on to misrepresent what I said to fit a very anecdotal narrow view. Why would your comment misrepresenting my statement (and attacking me) stand but my rebuttal pointing it out the inaccuracy be deleted?

—Can we start deleting these post so we can get back to the main topic — already deleting mine

I appreciate that. My phone is almost dead so I'll delete when I can.

And from what you understood me to say, I agree with where you were coming from. I'm a licensed therapist with over 10 years of experience working with BPD and other Severe and Persistent Mental Illnesses. So I am an expert. Lol. I've been over teams and case loads working with this demographic and have designed programs to help coordinate efforts of therapy. But your statement is totally accurate. "Talk therapy" is not for everyone and is lazy. I would even argue it is not good for anyone. It's a plague in the psych field. I think that's why I took such offense at that. I pride myself on being so much more than a talk therapist. So from how you understood me to mean, I completely agree with you. It's just not what I meant.

Thanks. I appreciate your understanding. We need to be sure that we aren’t adding to the problem. People who are struggling with mental health issues are in fact in a “fragile” and “unique” place (so yes they do need to be treated like snowflakes for their own survival).

I am especially sensitive to the term “crazy” because I’ve seen it’s destructive force. I’ve had friends hide in plain site only to lose their lives to suicide. These are some of the most serious illnesses around and they are not to be taken lightly.

Thank you again. I hope everyone will be sure not to talk about this subject so flippantly.

It's somewhat of a catch-22, right? One person talking about their own struggle or the struggle of someone he/she knows and how they dealt/deal with it/how they feel about it (generally a good thing) could set another person off in a negative way (a bad thing). It's hard to navigate the sensitive waters, eh?

Someone very close to me has anxiety attacks. The worst was not knowing what was going on. Some family members just wrote them off as "crazy." After getting the right diagnosis and medicine, talk therapy did wonders. Unfortunately some of the family members can't seem to let go of the label. Those family members are a trigger for anxiety attacks because the sufferer knows they are being pre-judged going into a situation. It's a sad gap that has taken years to repair the bridge to being amiable. Unfortunately, I think that is as far as it will ever go. It is sad because everyone was so close and tight knit before.

I think that the point I am making is that mental illness stigmas are the hardest ones to shake, and that is truly sad. We so often accommodate numerous physical maladies, but when it comes to mental illness the narrative seems fixed for years after it has been addressed. In light of all the violent acts we are seeing due to mental illness, we have to start doing a better job at being supportive and making those with mental illnesses feel appreciated and loved.

You know, Penguin.

The debate was actually a really cool example of discourse and then understanding. Even the stuff with mjcouvi, he said something offensive, you voiced it, he apologized. I think it's a cool learning experience because you are absolutely right, people throw mental health slurs around without thinking about it on a daily basis, and your posts are a good reminder to everyone that it can offend. I feel like it does better to have people read it and possibly change their language than just to delete it.

One of the biggest things we can take away from this thread is a point you made earlier. I have been working this area for a while and have never come across a male diagnosed BPD. Society shuns those guys and see them as just jerks or worse things I can't say here. They end up with no help, in jail or just cast outs. Here's an example with Marshall. He was able to get help and work on his issues. But he only got that help and diagnosis because of his talent. There are SO many guys that could get that same help and turn their lives around that just get written off as hopeless.

You know, Penguin.

The debate was actually a really cool example of discourse and then understanding. Even the stuff with mjcouvi, he said something offensive, you voiced it, he apologized. I think it's a cool learning experience because you are absolutely right, people throw mental health slurs around without thinking about it on a daily basis, and your posts are a good reminder to everyone that it can offend. I feel like it does better to have people read it and possibly change their language than just to delete it.

One of the biggest things we can take away from this thread is a point you made earlier. I have been working this area for a while and have never come across a male diagnosed BPD. Society shuns those guys and see them as just jerks or worse things I can't say here. They end up with no help, in jail or just cast outs. Here's an example with Marshall. He was able to get help and work on his issues. But he only got that help and diagnosis because of his talent. There are SO many guys that could get that same help and turn their lives around that just get written off as hopeless.

+1,000

This thread almost went off course but was definitely an excellent example of working toward a better understanding. Seems incredibly appropriate for the subject matter.

Sidenote: I grew up a diehard Saints fan in Cowboys country and would often joke that I had a "chemical imbalance called being a delusional optimist which is perfect for being a Saints fan". I was a kid (teenager) at the time. It was just some dumb thing to say to get people off my case about being a Saints fan.

Until just now I had forgotten all about it. Funny to look back at it now because I've actually had to deal with things like chemical imbalances in my adult life. Life's weird sometimes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom