Break down on each position. (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Here's how i feel about each position on our team. Grades and breakdowns are in store

QB: Brees has been the savior at this position. I'm quite satisfied as everyone else on the board is about Brees ability to succeed. This year Bruenell will be our backup. We need for him to tutor Palko. Will he stick around for more than a year. I dont know. But i really hope he takes Palko under his wing and teaches him how to really play. I haven't given up on Palko and i think Bruenell will be a valuable pickup.
Grade A

Major Breakout player: Tyler Palko: I really think he steps it up after his mentor Brunell really helps him to learn how to play QB

RB: We have two first round talents on our team. Reggie Bush and Deuce McAllister. Reggie hasn't been a great RB but he does everything we need for him. He can run, Catch, Return and flat out fly. I dont believe he has reached his potential and he will eventually become great. Deuce will be returning from another major knee injury. He will no longer be the same Deuce but i think he will play with even more heart and earn those short yards. Stecker showed he can still step in and play. PT was amazing in his first start and i think we really hit a gem. He will eventually replace Deuce.
Grade: B+

Major Breakout player: Reggie Bush and PT: I see these two really helping each other out. They will really impress during the season to our liking

FB: Mike Karney is absolutely amazing at getting his job done. He is an absolute beast and will be around for many years to come.
Grade:A+

Karney will continue to play at an elite level

WR: As we all know Colston is one of the best in league. He is a huge target and has a lot of chemistry with Brees. Patten prooved he is worthy of the number 2 job as he played consistently every week. After those two we suffer a huge drop off. Meachem was suppose to be a huge upgrade but came into camp overweight and was injured. We will see how he preforms this year. Henderson is very fast but drops a lot of passes. Will he be consistent this year? We'll see. I had high hopes for Lance Moore and Terrance Copper, but they never did live up to them.
Grade B

Breakout player: Robert Meachem. Considered as a disaster after being unactive for the entire season, I see him really comeing through and playing consistant as a # 3 receiver.

TE: Billy Miller proved to be very valuable. We re-signed him in hope he can do it again. Johnson was hurt last year. Our FO must believe they can get something out of him because they re-signed him. Ronnie Ghent is a project. While Mark Cambell must become healthy to play at a high level, I dont know if he will be able to.
Grade C+

Breakout player: Eric Johnson: He was disappointing in his first year, but i think he rebounds and stays healthy. We'll see how well he preforms

OT: Jamaal Brown is still a pro bowl player while Streif showed flashes of greatness. IF we dont draft Clady to replace Stinch, I see Streif as our starter. He really played well. Stinch was decent but he is upgradable. Bushrod is still a project
Grade B

Breakout player: I really see Streif having a huge year. I predict he will replace Stinch on the right side unless we draft Clady

OG: Nesbit and Evans have been Solid. I really like how these two preform. I really see Alleman stepping it up big this year and possibly replacing Nesbit. Goodwin will no longer be our G/C Depth player. Tim Duckworth is still a project who may impress a little this year
Grade B

Breakout player Andy Alleman: I think he really shows a lot and eventually takes over for nesbit.

OC Goodwin should fill in nicely for Faine. We signed Lehar ( spelling problem) as a backup. I wouldnt mind seeing us draft another C like Coleman out of Wisconsin or Sullivan. out of Notre Dame i think
Grade B

Break out player: Goodwin: He shows he is ready to step up to the task and improves dramatically through out the year

DE: Will Smith and Charles Grant absolutely have to stay in shape and play quick. The success of the defense will be decided by how good our pass rush is. Bobby McCray was a great pickup and will see the field a good bit. I think he will have about 5 sacks. I dont know much about Josh Cooper. I would love for us to draft Eric Foster out of Rutgers. He is an explosive player.
Grade A
Breakout player: Will Smith and Charles Grant. I think that coach O can get on them enough to have a break out year. They will dramatically improve our D

DT: Hollis Thomas is inconsistent and Young is coming off an injury. I strongly feel we need to do everything we can to get Ellis or Dorsey. Klancy did not have a good year. Boykin is still a project.
Grade C-
Break out player. Brian Young. I hope he can improve our pass rush.

LB: We dramatically improved our linebacking corp. Vilma, If he returns to a good healthy status, will be a huge player. Fujita is very good and continues to play like a champ. Shanle will be replaced. If Dan Morgan can't stay away from concussion i look for us to draft Lofton Mayo or Howard in the second ( i highly doubt Mayo will be there) or a guy like Shawn Crable in the 3rd. Mitchell provides good Depth. The same could be said about Simineaux.
Grade A

Break Out player: Jonathan Vilma: I think he comes back strong from his injury. He is a 4-3 LB. When the jets ran the 4-3 he dominated. Not so much can be said about the 3-4. He will have a huge year.

CB: MM wont be back until mid season. He suffered a torn ACL in the last game of the season. Jason David showed he is very inconsistent. Randall Gay will probably be our #2 CB or Nickel. Young needs to show he is ready to play. I think if we don't do everything in our power to land Dorsey or Ellis, we need to draft McKelvin or DRC. Also a trade for Nnamdi Asomugha would be very excellent. DRC is a tall corner who i think could excell in man coverage.
Grade C

Break out player: Randall Gay. I think Gay can really come in and play. He will contribute immediately. Coach P said he could possibly play S. I'm curious to see if he can.

S: Bullocks and Harper have been average. I really look for Harper to have a strong year. Our DC said he see's a lot of potential in Bullocks. I think our S's played horribly because of our lack of pass rush. Same can be said about our CB's. I think with a strong pass rush we can really see Bullock's and Harper's best games. KK will push for playing time.
Grade C+

Break out player. Josh Bullocks. I really see him improving because i think we get a strong pass rush.

K: Gramtica will be the man this year. I think he will have a strong year.
Grade: A

P: Weatherford was another Illinois Jewel ( see PT) He is pretty good and will continue to improve.
Grade A

Overview: Our team right now is probably a 10-6 team. We really need improve our D line and Cb's. There are no really dominate Safeties in this draft. I think our S's will have a breakout year. We are in sure hands with Brees and Colston. Will Meachem finally play up to expectations? We'll see

Thoughts?

thanks for the effort and a pleasant read, but I think some of your grades are a tad high and a tad optimistic

I also hope Meachem steps up this year, but no way of knowing.

RB is another big if position - can Reggie figure it out? Will Deuce still be effective, etc.

CB - We're worse than a C as things stand right now...probably a D. If Gay plays to expectations (more if's) and MM can come back to close the level he was before the ACL, then I'd say it'd be a C+ B- type grade

Safeties are a very big if. Harper was awesome in the first 5 games as a rookie...very average after that. Bullocks was also rather bad. While I appreciate that both were exposed because of zero pass rush, they were still bad...

I think Coach O gets our pass rush to improve dramatically, and with it, every other aspect of the defence...

As Dwight Freeney was quoted recently, "Tackle the run on the way to the QB"...I hope our D-line can play with this pressure mentality because assuming our LB corps comes through (which I have a feeling it will, though this is another if) we're gonna have some monster run stoppers behind them...

Geaux Saints! Bring on the draft and please please please please please please please please please bring on Dorsey or Ellis! (I really want one of them if you couldn't tell...heehee)

You need to learn the difference between a 3-4 OLB and a 4-3 OLB.
I agree with pretty much everything, I would be happy with Rivers or DRC at 10. i think that Usama Young will have more of a breakout year than Gay. I don't think Eric Johnson will have a breakout year, I think we need to draft a quick athletic TE.

thanks for the effort and a pleasant read, but I think some of your grades are a tad high and a tad optimistic

I also hope Meachem steps up this year, but no way of knowing.

RB is another big if position - can Reggie figure it out? Will Deuce still be effective, etc.

CB - We're worse than a C as things stand right now...probably a D. If Gay plays to expectations (more if's) and MM can come back to close the level he was before the ACL, then I'd say it'd be a C+ B- type grade

Safeties are a very big if. Harper was awesome in the first 5 games as a rookie...very average after that. Bullocks was also rather bad. While I appreciate that both were exposed because of zero pass rush, they were still bad...

I think Coach O gets our pass rush to improve dramatically, and with it, every other aspect of the defence...

As Dwight Freeney was quoted recently, "Tackle the run on the way to the QB"...I hope our D-line can play with this pressure mentality because assuming our LB corps comes through (which I have a feeling it will, though this is another if) we're gonna have some monster run stoppers behind them...

Geaux Saints! Bring on the draft and please please please please please please please please please bring on Dorsey or Ellis! (I really want one of them if you couldn't tell...heehee)

Thanks for the honest opinion man. Haha you and me both have Dorsey or Ellis high on our wish list

You actually gave our CB and S a C and C+ and gave our DEs and LBs an A?

I expect Vilma to improve our LB corp, but not THAT much. Unless we draft well, I think we still need help at LB and our DEs didn't product SQUAT for us last year. Is Bobby McCray your reason for giving them an A?

I think you give our DE's a B- and our LB's a B-. Our DTs are an F or a D right now. I might not disagree to heartily with the grades for S and CB, but I don't think they are that much worse off than our DT, DE and LB corp until proven otherwise. The front 7 was the main problem last year....

All this could change depending on the draft.

Oh and BTW, thanks for the obvious hard work of going through each position and doing this. Despite my disagreement, I appreciate your efforts! :) :)

I like the idea of Palko learning from Brees and Brunell.

I hope DOOOOCE is healthy year long and I expect RB to be back to 06 form (playcalling and performance wise).

I'm not fond of approaching this notion, but we are going to need a backup for Karney eventually. I know a mac truck can't hurt him, but fluke injuries are just that.

Meach should be impactual this year which may give life to DH.

I hope we draft a C to back up Goodwin. I know we got Lehr, but I just don't know enough about him.

Miller should be the man at TE this year. I hope so anyway.

Ogeron should have that entire DLine kickin in high gear.

Vilma should make a big impact too. I am not worried about the knee. Draft another

With MM out for a while, I hope Gay and whoever do good enough to keep the big plays to a minimum. Draft another.

Come on Harper. A better Bullocks and Harper would be welcomed, I'm sure.

I can't believe I am ok with having Gramatica, but I am. No real distance, but hopefully we won't need him on the long ones.

Weatherford is just fine in my book. A few more fakes for first downs would be nice.:D

You actually gave our CB and S a C and C+ and gave our DEs and LBs an A?

I expect Vilma to improve our LB corp, but not THAT much. Unless we draft well, I think we still need help at LB and our DEs didn't product SQUAT for us last year. Is Bobby McCray your reason for giving them an A?

I think you give our DE's a B- and our LB's a B-. Our DTs are an F or a D right now. I might not disagree to heartily with the grades for S and CB, but I don't think they are that much worse off than our DT, DE and LB corp until proven otherwise. The front 7 was the main problem last year....

All this could change depending on the draft.

Oh and BTW, thanks for the obvious hard work of going through each position and doing this. Despite my disagreement, I appreciate your efforts! :) :)

No problem man, if everyone agreed on everything, where would the fun of discussion be?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom