Breakdown: Greg Williams vs Eagles 07' (1 Viewer)

CitySaint

SR is my life!
Reaction score
Defensive Breakdown: Skins vs Eagles

Greg Williams finally went back to the 4-3 as his base defense…and it worked fairly well in stopping running Brian Westbrook (not the evil swing pass/screen Brian Westbrook, which is a different story all together)
The 4-3

In the following frame you’ll notice I’ve labeled our 3 linebackers as the “3 Headed Monster” because that is exactly how they play…as one. The front 2 LBs are usually deployed in manner that clogs gaps and eats up lead blockers. All to leave Fletch unblocked and free to make a play. Look at how deep Fletch plays off of the line on our 4-3 allignment…this is great for getting a jump start on his Cover 2 responsibilities (deep coverage in the passing game) and also it allows him to get a running start and therefore play aggressive and fast downhill versus the running game. On the Eagles side of the ball I’ve labeled the 2 lead blockers for Westbrook:

http://www.postgameheroes.com/?p=1707

I don't know if the picture is showing, I'm posting at work, but the link goes into detail with other pics provided. The "3 headed monster" deal with the linebackers is something I took notice of because on alot of defensive plays the Saints do this with Vilma set further back than the 2 outside linebackers. Wondering what you guys think of the breakdown in comparison to the way Williams has done things down here so far. If TCU, or anyone else can add insight on the advantages of having a 3 headed monster set that would be great as well.

Can't see the pics but I don't know how you compare one team's personnel to another's personnel from 2 years ago. Not that the basic fundamentals aren't there and we will be running similar packages, it's just not apples to apples.

That being said, we will shut them out in our 4-3!

I always enjoy reading these "football" posts. Thanks for sharing, CitySaint.

Pretty interesting. So basically, its all about keeping an O-lineman off our LBs, specifically Vilma. We will need Big Sed, Clancy & hargrove eating up some blocks so our LBs can read, react & make a play. Also, I think we will be able to cheat a safety up in the box if we can get pressure from our ends allowing our CBs to maintain coverage and force some hurried throws. If we arent getting pressure, our safeties will ahve to remain deep to help the CBs, which will leave space for the screens, shovel passes and draws Thanx for posting.

Pretty interesting. So basically, its all about keeping an O-lineman off our LBs, specifically Vilma. We will need Big Sed, Clancy & hargrove eating up some blocks so our LBs can read, react & make a play. Also, I think we will be able to cheat a safety up in the box if we can get pressure from our ends allowing our CBs to maintain coverage and force some hurried throws. If we arent getting pressure, our safeties will ahve to remain deep to help the CBs, which will leave space for the screens, shovel passes and draws Thanx for posting.

Exactly, I don't know how well this will work against Westbrook going in the flats. When it's an obvious passing down the linebackers do alot of stepping close to the line of scrimmage giving the impression of blitzing usually one or sometimes two of them do actually blitz but you never know which since they all crowd the line.

Yes, I think Vilma and Harper will be integral in this game ---- if we contain Westbrook, victory is ours!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom