N/S BREAKING: Antonio Brown Accused of 3 Different Rapes/Sexaul Assaults in Federal Lawsuit (1 Viewer)

Without singling any poster out, I will say that there are some dangerously misinformed views being expressed here.

The notion that the absence of a contemporaneous police report somehow disproves the accuser’s claim is a fiction. Victims of sexual assault often wait years before making a complaint, if at all.

Moreover, the fact that the accuser knew Antonio Brown really has no bearing on her credibility or otherwise. Women are more likely to be sexually assaulted by someone known to them. I would have thought the #metoo movement shed further light on how men can exploit power imbalances (relative to both women and other men) for this purpose.

I don’t have time to dig up the statistics but the reality is that overwhelmingly, women who allege they are the victim of a sexual assault are telling the truth. Notwithstanding this, most allegations are not successfully prosecuted. Coupled with the stigma associated with making a complaint (the evidence of which is ever-present in this thread), it’s not surprising to see why so many victims feel absolutely powerless.

I say all that without making any comments about this case at all. A little bit of information can be dangerous and I would suggest it is wrong to draw any conclusions based on a statement from Brown’s lawyer and some limited correspondence which has apparently been leaked by one of the parties.

Ok, We know now that no criminal complaint, nor a criminal investigation was conducted at the time these events took place... that is no longer in dispute.

Criminal sexual assault cases aren't about what happened as much as they are about what you can prove happened. Is there physical evidence of assault? Are their witnesses. Does the testimony of the victim appear to be credible.

No one knows weather or not and assault too place in this instance we'll never know, because there is evidence, there are no witnesses, when you add up the facts that the women didn't persue a criminal case when she could have, that she was in relationship at the time, and that she's seeking not protect the greater population by seeking to put the accused in jail but to financially enrich herself, yes, i think that reasonable grounds to question the validity of her claims, based on what we currently know, and none of will have the full picture unless we sit in court and hear it all.

As for the metoo/power imbalance thing, if you think she at some point didn't thing she wouldn't at some point benefit from being AB's "girlfiend", then you don't know women all that well. There are a lot out their are not the poor innocent victims they made out to be. And they do a big disservice to real victims of sexual assault that isn't about sex and power but is about violence and abuse.

...i usually am the one also want to wait until all the facts are out,..
Are you really waiting until all the facts are out to make assumptions?
No one knows weather or not and assault too place in this instance we'll never know, because there is evidence, there are no witnesses...
...none of will have the full picture unless we sit in court and hear it all.
You didn't wait for more of the above facts to come out before jumping to the following conclusions based on your assumptions.
...as it appears she's the one lying about false claims for money.
...the women didn't persue a criminal case when she could have, that she was in relationship at the time, and that she's seeking not protect the greater population by seeking to put the accused in jail but to financially enrich herself, yes, i think that reasonable grounds to question the validity of her claims...
...if you think she at some point didn't thing she wouldn't at some point benefit from being AB's "girlfiend", then you don't know women all that well. There are a lot out their are not the poor innocent victims they made out to be.
You're certainly right about the following.
Assumptions are usually incorrect.

Ok, We know now that no criminal complaint, nor a criminal investigation was conducted at the time these events took place... that is no longer in dispute.

Criminal sexual assault cases aren't about what happened as much as they are about what you can prove happened. Is there physical evidence of assault? Are their witnesses. Does the testimony of the victim appear to be credible.

No one knows weather or not and assault too place in this instance we'll never know, because there is evidence, there are no witnesses, when you add up the facts that the women didn't persue a criminal case when she could have, that she was in relationship at the time, and that she's seeking not protect the greater population by seeking to put the accused in jail but to financially enrich herself, yes, i think that reasonable grounds to question the validity of her claims, based on what we currently know, and none of will have the full picture unless we sit in court and hear it all.

As for the metoo/power imbalance thing, if you think she at some point didn't thing she wouldn't at some point benefit from being AB's "girlfiend", then you don't know women all that well. There are a lot out their are not the poor innocent victims they made out to be. And they do a big disservice to real victims of sexual assault that isn't about sex and power but is about violence and abuse.

With respect, this may be the worst take I have ever read.

I don’t have time to dig up the statistics but the reality is that overwhelmingly, women who allege they are the victim of a sexual assault are telling the truth. Notwithstanding this, most allegations are not successfully prosecuted. Coupled with the stigma associated with making a complaint (the evidence of which is ever-present in this thread), it’s not surprising to see why so many victims feel absolutely powerless.

What do those stats look like when the men involved are worth more than say, $500,000? $1 million? Not going to make any assumptions, but wonder if there is a significant difference in the claims that are ultimately proven true. Or the amount of claims that are just settled civillay out of court. The number of men in that wealth segment that get accused versus the general population.

There is also a pretty good series on Netflix called "Unbelievable" thats pretty good and is tangent to this subject.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom