Breaking apartment lease??? (2 Viewers)

What will happen if I move out before my lease ends?
The company offers an early termination agreement if you must move out of your apartment before your lease ends.

this is what their website says, I havent talked to them yet

Why do you need to move out early? When we lived in an apt years and years ago, we had an agreement that if we bought a house, we could break the lease.

It's not going to look good in the future should you need to get another apartment.

I'm in no way an expert, but isn't there some sort of law that you can legally break a lease moving out of an apartment if you are breaking it for the purpose of buying a home? I've heard that before but I have no idea if it's true...

It probably doesn't apply here if you're moving into another rental situation anyways.

You need to review the lease and see what it says. You should try to come up with an acceptable solution with the landlord. I wouldn't just break it without trying to work something out. I had to leave a lease early, but we worked it out. I helped rent it to a new party, and I paid a small "penalty" but got my deposit back and a good reference for future needs.

But if you just break it, you will risk forfeiting your deposit and possibly owing the landlord for lost rent. If you refuse to pay it, you will possibly be sued and if the lease is any good, you'll lose. Also, the landlord will not likely give you a positive reference.

I'm in no way an expert, but isn't there some sort of law that you can legally break a lease moving out of an apartment if you are breaking it for the purpose of buying a home? I've heard that before but I have no idea if it's true...

It probably doesn't apply here if you're moving into another rental situation anyways.

I've never heard of that and would be shocked to hear that it exists.

just clog the toilet up and flood the place then tell the landlord your apt is ruined and you will be moving out.

What will happen if I move out before my lease ends?
The company offers an early termination agreement if you must move out of your apartment before your lease ends.

this is what their website says, I havent talked to them yet

Is there supposed to be a link there? I don't see one.

I got out of a just re newed lease with Tonti when I had a chance to move into a large rental house with a roomie. I had been at that studio apt. for almost 4 years. I went to the rental office and explained the situation. The rental office people said no problem, I had been a good tenant, no complaints, never late with the rent etc. I even got back my original security deposit which I was totally not expecting. Never hurts to go and talk to them and explain the deal.

yeah thats what Im gonna do , just trying to get an idea what they will say, I have been there a year and a half and have always paid on time, its actually my 2nd lease, I renewed it in January

As a landlord. If you break the lease without trying to work something out, they will go after you for the rent for the remaining months and you will lose your deposit.

I've had renters that needed to move out early and as long as I found someone to move in so I didn't lose money it was easy to work something out.

But, leases are legal agreements. And no, you can't break a lease because you bought a house. Think of it this way. How would you like it if your landlord showed up one day and said I know you signed a lease, but I'd rather have someone else live there, so hit the road.

It's the other side of the coin.

Make sure you go talk to them. I've broken several leases due to moving situations and not a single one of them charged me anything AND I got my full deposit back. Many places are eager to turn the place over to someone that might have the chance of staying there for a while and they know that if you are leaving, there's no more money coming from you. Some have a "lease break" fee, perhaps you can have that taken out of a deposit too if they have that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom