Breaking: Chelsea Clinton, stumping for Mom, gets the Monica question (2 Viewers)

You're married, aren't you? I'm just curious-- how do you reconcile that??

Mine is a good one. However, I've seen very few like mine. Some, but very few. Even our friends and family say our marriage isn't "normal" because of how much we're still into each other after 13 years. You'd swear we were newly weds, 4 kids and all.

However, this hasn't been my experience in observing marriages over my life. Most involve two people who are either miserable or just going through the motions once the newest wears off and a kid or two are thrown in the mix. So in general I'm cynical about the reasons people get into and stay in a marriage because I haven't seen many people doing either for "love" from my 30,000 ft. view of things.

Of course that's purely anecdotal and is probably greatly influenced by the many bad marriages in my family and the fact my "adult" life began in the military which is infamous for bad marriages. Heck I probably didn't see my first "good" marriage until I was in my mid 20's. In fairness to my anecdotal driven cynicism a lot of people I know tend to agree as people always talk about my marriage being abnormal.

Mine is a good one. However, I've seen very few like mine. Some, but very few. Even our friends and family say our marriage isn't "normal" because of how much we're still into each other after 13 years. You'd swear we were newly weds, 4 kids and all.

However, this hasn't been my experience in observing marriages over my life. Most involve two people who are either miserable or just going through the motions once the newest wears off and a kid or two are thrown in the mix. So in general I'm cynical about the reasons people get into and stay in a marriage because I haven't seen many people doing either for "love" from my 30,000 ft. view of things.

Of course that's purely anecdotal and is probably greatly influenced by the many bad marriages in my family and the fact my "adult" life began in the military which is infamous for bad marriages. Heck I probably didn't see my first "good" marriage until I was in my mid 20's. In fairness to my anecdotal driven cynicism a lot of people I know tend to agree as people always talk about my marriage being abnormal.

Sorry to continue with the threadjack-- but what's your secret?

Sorry to continue with the threadjack-- but what's your secret?

I'm not quite sure. I will tell you this, we're really completely dedicated to making the other one happy. Other than our kids the only thing I ever really care about is her happiness and the only thing she really worries about is mine. When someone is trying so hard to make you happy it's hard not to be happy. In addition you end up with great appreciation for the person trying so hard to make you happy.

It's almost like we're in a perpetual state of being thankful to each other for everything we do for each other. That of course keeps the fire burning in the ole' heart.

Cheesy I know but it's the only way I can think to explain it.

People talk all the time about marriage. They talk about communication, trust, etc. but I think the key thing is a lack of selfishness. If one or more people in a relationship are selfish it's going to be tumultuous and there will almost certainly be resentment.

SBTB that is quite refreshing to hear

Wow, what a horrible question to be asking someone in that position. I'm glad to hear she held it together and responded back nicely.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom