Breaking down the Zack Baun trade (1 Viewer)

WxM

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I posted this in the draft thread, but it's certainly worthy of its own thread. Everyone loves the pick, but a number of us feel we really got the short end of the stick in the trade. I'm happy to dispel that myth below.

Saints give:
88, next year's third (equates to this year's fourth; if in the same spot, it's equivalent to 130 this year.)

Browns give:
74, 244

We gained 29 points in value, the equivalent of pick 153, Miami's early fifth round pick (seventh in that round).

And for those disappointed we won't have in a third round pick? Don't worry about that. We're widely expected to get a third round compensatory pick for losing Teddy Bridgewater.

yea and what will next year's draft be based off at any rate? football in the fall is unlikely. Next year's draft will be a crap shoot more than this year. Baun is immediate help as well as 4 more years.

If before the draft I offered Ruiz and Baun for our 1st, 3rd and next years 3rd, would you have taken that deal?

No, bc that's not even equivalent to how it was in reality. We swapped 3rd round picks

So the question actually would be

Baun-Ruiz for

1st, and next years 3rd

And I would say absolutely

Also I will state the value of a player usually will never be higher then it is on draft day.

So your method doesn't really work out. Nobody truly knows until these boys hit the field.

I can say I have watched a lot of tape on both of these players and I'm pretty confident in their ability.

They were 2 of my favorite players in the draft.

So far we have been able to draft 2 first round grade players.

This FO knows how to win on and off the field

Last edited:
I think that draft point chart should be retired. Why base draft value on something Jimmy Johnson created over 30 years ago?
Because he won back to back Super Bowls with a team comprised mostly of his draft picks.

🤔

I think that draft point chart should be retired. Why base draft value on something Jimmy Johnson created over 30 years ago?
It's the only refrenece point. I'm surprised PFF or some other analytics based site hasn't published a new 1

Let the argument over trade terminology commence.
Yep, especially equating a pick for next year being downgraded to the equivalent pick in the subsequent round. That's a bit harsh of a downgrade. Maybe somewhere halfway in between the original pick and the next round's equivalent pick.

No, bc that's not even equivalent to how it was in reality. We swapped 3rd round picks

So the question actually would be

Baun-Ruiz for

1st, and next years 3rd

And I would say absolutely

Also I will state the value of a player usually will never be higher then it is on draft day.

So your method doesn't really work out. Nobody truly knows until these boys hit the field.

I can say I have watched a lot of tape on both of these players and I'm pretty confident in their ability.

They were 2 of my favorite players in the draft.

So far we have been able to draft 2 first round grade players.

This FO knows how to win on and off the field
I'll elaborate on what I think you're trying to address. If you're making a pick in the same round that you're moving up, then the pick cancels out with the selection you made. Some people like to redundantly include that same pick as part of the deal and say it's like giving up two picks.

It's the only refrenece point. I'm surprised PFF or some other analytics based site hasn't published a new 1
The chart I used is from DraftTek. On their website:

"Teams are reported to use a revised trade value model in recent years, as discussed by Bill Belichick. Drafttek provides an alternate trade value model, developed by Rich Hill of Pats Pulpit, which we believe more accurately reflect the trades of the past several years:"

"https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp"

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom