Breaking Down Will Fuller and P.J. Williams Preseason Matchup (1 Viewer)

reerunn

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Part of the reason that Williams fell to the third round of the 2015 draft was his character. Talent-wise, Williams should be a quality starter on the outside. He is long, athletic and shows off good body control to turn and run with receivers without conceding underneath routes too easily. His physicality and balance will allow him to lean on faster receivers while his length and speed will allow him to attack the ball ahead of bigger receivers.
Williams’ presence likely played a big role in the Saints’ decision-making when it came to releasing veteran Keenan Lewis. Lewis had dealt with health issues throughout his time in New Orleans but he was also clearly the team’s most talented cornerback. Not to mention an ideal complement to the other starter, Delvin Breaux, because of his length and athleticism. Williams should seamlessly fit into that role.

Breaking Down Will Fuller and P.J. Williams Preseason Matchup

This is an encouraging read. It'd be nice to finally be able to strike "secondary" off the needs list for next offseason.

My hope of hopes is that Williams ends up being even better than Breaux.

Just like I want Edabali to be better than Cam Jordan, and so on ad infinitum.

My hopes might not be realized, but the reasoning is clear.

I watched him the other night and was impressed overall, recognizing that basically this is his rookie year after the lost one last year. I also watched the two rookie cb's and they, too, sure played with more confidence than you usually see in a rookie undrafted FA.

Williams brings that element to the secondary, he plays with confidence and looks like the player he was at FSU. He was performing so sell he made Lewis expendable.... well he made waiting for Lewis to get healthy null and void.

PJ has a confidence to him that I haven't seen from a drafted Saints corner since Tracy Porter. Hopefully that bodes well.

I'm so excited for our defense. Quality corners, pressure from the front four, and LB's that can cover. Stopping the run may be a weakness, but it's hard to believe that we won't be at least a middle of the pack defense.

All we need is for Payton to have our offense around the top of the league like he has his entire tenure and we have a chance for the playoffs. Super Bowl contender is unrealistic, but anything can happen!

PJ's a rock!!.. my guess is (if he can regain that "hammy" confidence) that'll he'll probably be just as good (if not better than ) Del Breaux... I mean seriously, he's the prototype NFL DB with sick skills.. damn I'm keepin' my fingers crossed that he pans out.. This tandem (Breaux and Williams) reminds BIGTIME of the young Weary/Mathis combo from years gone by..

NW.

On the TD catch:

"Williams couldn’t have better positioning on this play. He has played perfect coverage and even though he is beaten, it’s still extremely hard to blame him for getting beaten. Brock Osweiler’s pass is perfectly placed, timed and flighted. More importantly, Fuller’s timing is perfect."

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom