Breaking News: Mccain wins Republican nomination (1 Viewer)

Well Spam Mccain is on the ticket to choose whom ever he feels is the right guy to be his VP. Hell it could be Jindal, Bob Riley in my state of Alabama, etc etc. I think if he chooses JC Watts it would be a good choice, he would be a minority running on as a VP slot in a major party and to have that change is good for the country. My God could you imagine Jindal being a possible VP candidate? That huge for us and La. no matter what your political affilaiation is in this state. La. would have some political muscle again and gain back what we have lost in the past 20-30 years

If McCain recruits Jindal as his running mate, I wouldn't consider that a "victory" for Louisiana. And if Jindal were to accept McCain's offer (hypothetically), I'd be very disappointed in him. This is a critical time for our state and we need his leadership.

Exit polls suggest otherwise, surprisingly.

Hillary is taking this to the convention. You can feel her evening out the momentum and Michigan/Florida are her aces in the hole.

Meh, exit polling seems to be hit or miss? Remember the last exit polling debacle in the Kerry Bush run off. Im not saing I disagree with you, I guess im just saying "grain of salt" here.

Heck, it would be very surprising if exit polling were dead on, I say this because the demographics in Ohio, populated with a lot of university towns chock full of younger crowd votes, and the big three cities populated with demographics that Obama has been targeting, would lend to an Obama win, Kind of an interesting contrast to the last 11 states Obama won.

There has been a lot of Obama fever here, lots of rallys and such.

This is what makes me think the repubs crossed over. the rural republican vote has out trumped the democratic votes for a while here.

Who knows, maybe im wrong.

If she wins Texasm its a full on thrown down! :hihi:

Now back to your regualrly scheduled thread.

I think one of the main things Republicans will want in McCain's choice is that he is someone "young" and upcoming in the party (which is why I believe there has been so many rumors about Jindahl). I, too, think he will have to choose someone more on the "conservative" wing of the party, but that doesn't mean he has to go get someone who's a Rush clone, either (heaven forbid).
I'd love to see him choose Alan Keys, one of the few politicians for whom I have always had the utmost respect, but it will be interesting to see what choice he makes, though for me, unless in the unlikely he chooses someone slightly to the right of Hitler, he's got my vote. I can't back either of the Dems in this election.

Alan Keyes is crazy. He's crazy dude.

But yeah I agree that McCain has to go young. He needs someone who exudes energy who can be a grassroots campaigner for him. That, to me, is honestly a more important component then anything else.

Meh, exit polling seems to be hit or miss? Remember the last exit polling debacle in the Kerry Bush run off. Im not saing I disagree with you, I guess im just saying "grain of salt" here.

Well and it's particularly unreliable in primaries, that's a given. But still even if you're talking about some crazy 10 point swing, you're still dealing with something in the 50s/40s, not some huge Republican landslide for Hillary. It's just not a huge factor in otherwords.

Post, how many VP in this long nation's history have come from this state? My God, not very many. and he is a likable guy who can be a good back up to the Republican P if he does get elected. I disagree that would be great for the people of this state to have some pride again in politics and a local boy too. Think about it for a while if you could. That would be breaking the mold here big time. Whats wrong with that

I have yet to see one Hillary sign here, but tons of Obama signs. Of course, I'm in the metro Houston area, which Obama is carrying so far. But I still firmly believe that many of Hillary's votes are actually votes for McCain, since polls have shown that a McCain/Clinton matchup is much more in McCain's favor. It's hard to accept that this is really a "comeback" for Hillary as much as it is a political game.

Post, how many VP in this long nation's history have come from this state? My God, not very many. and he is a likable guy who can be a good back up to the Republican P if he does get elected. I disagree that would be great for the people of this state to have some pride again in politics and a local boy too. Think about it for a while if you would. That would be breaking the mold here big time. Whats wrong with that

I'm not saying there wouldn't be anything positive about it. There are pros and cons. But to me, I just think he has more power and influence to turn our state in the right direction in the position he is currently in. And if he can deliver in the next 4 (perhaps 8?) years, he'd be a slam dunk VP candidate in future elections. We need him right now as our governor, IMO.

I have yet to see one Hillary sign here, but tons of Obama signs. Of course, I'm in the metro Houston area, which Obama is carrying so far. But I still firmly believe that many of Hillary's votes are actually votes for McCain, since polls have shown that a McCain/Clinton matchup is much more in McCain's favor. It's hard to accept that this is really a "comeback" for Hillary as much as it is a political game.

Come on, this isn't your first election. "Front-runner" is dangerous, dangerous status. You can tell the change in tone in the media-at-large over the past two weeks. Not only was Hillary's "the media is coddling Obama" campaign effective, I think the media in general was getting sick of Obama.

The media giveth, and it taketh away.

Plus, nothing motivates a base like being on the ropes. Check you the demographics. Men-to-Women in Ohio? 41% of Dem voters were men, 59% were women. It was 43/57 in Texas.

Women are turning out in droves to resuscitate Hillary.

I hate to be "that guy" but it's not like this is unexpected. I noted that Obama's level of momentum couldn't continue on indefinitely. I figured it would last long enough to finish off Hillary but you knew there had to be an eb to the flow at some point.

Come on, this isn't your first election. "Front-runner" is dangerous, dangerous status. You can tell the change in tone in the media-at-large over the past two weeks. Not only was Hillary's "the media is coddling Obama" campaign effective, I think the media in general was getting sick of Obama.

The media giveth, and it taketh away.

Plus, nothing motivates a base like being on the ropes. Check you the demographics. Men-to-Women in Ohio? 41% of Dem voters were men, 59% were women. It was 43/57 in Texas.

Women are turning out in droves to resuscitate Hillary.

No, not my first election by far. Yes, the media has changed its tone and people listen, especially when so many are undecided and/or not thrilled with the choices before them. But I live in TX and the women I know here are NOT Hillary fans by a long shot. Several Obama supporters have expressed concern over the crossover votes from McCain supporters...I don't think as many played that game as many feared, but at least in my area being female did not mean you supported Hillary.

I agree that perhaps that Obama-mania is calming down and some people are getting a bit turned off by the "cultish" aspect of it, but I wouldn't necessarily translate that into a resurgance of support for Hillary. I think there are many factors involved in her apparent turnaround of momentum besides media sympathy and female support.

Last edited:
By "TRUE conservative" you mean "a social conservative who doesn't accurately represent the majority of America" right?
I think he means "I was listening to the Rush Limbaugh show today and the guest host said..."

I need to confirm this info since I wasn't listening closely, but I thought I heard on the tv that Huckabee got higher numbers than anticipated in Texas in areas that Hillary did well in? If true, then IMO that tells me there likely was more McCain crossover to support Hillary as his opponent vs. Obama than we thought there would be. If the numbers were high for Hillary but as predicted for McCain, I'd say it didn't happen. But the numbers were up for Hillary AND up for Huckabee in several of the same areas, making me think that many McCain voters cast their vote on the other side. I need to see if anything else is said about this.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom