Brees’ ball velocity (1 Viewer)

Drew did post one of the slowest Time to Throws in the NFL week 1. Maybe the guy that knows stuff was talking about that stat instead of velocity. IMO that's a very good thing for Drew because it could mean he is comfortable in the pocket and being well protected -or just as likely just rusty because it was his first game and he needed to get his TT up to game speed.

Just for reference, Saints last losing season (2016) Drew was 2.42 TT. In 2017 and 2018 he was 2.59 and 2.58 IIRC. Against Houston he was 2.85.
Didn't he have one of the fastest releases in the league last year? Or am I imagining things?

Didn't he have one of the fastest releases in the league last year? Or am I imagining things?

I don't remember but I thought he's always had a fast release. As far as his time to throw goes, Drew has always not been one to hold onto the ball very long.

Not gonna pick on the OP. But on this same topic, it amazes me how many sports media figures are still so obsessed with arm strength.

It's like they haven't been watching the NFL the last decade. Heck, just watch last night's game and tell me how valuable arm strength is.

Not gonna pick on the OP. But on this same topic, it amazes me how many sports media figures are still so obsessed with arm strength.

It's like they haven't been watching the NFL the last decade. Heck, just watch last night's game and tell me how valuable arm strength is.

Yeah, it really doesn't mater how hard you throw it if you put it where you want, and I think there's something to be said for softer, well placed balls being easier to catch as well, so you don't see as many drops. Does he have less room for error because the ball takes a microsecond longer to get there? Sure, but we're talking about the most accurate passer in the history of the league.

I've read a few articles that try to tie arm strength or ball velocity stats to QB success in the NFL. These articles always seem to leave Drew off their graph. Lol

I don't remember but I thought he's always had a fast release. As far as his time to throw goes, Drew has always not been one to hold onto the ball very long.
The combination of those two things with his precision is what makes him such an amazing QB and why I think he could play a few more seasons if he feels like it. The older he's gotten, the higher his completion percentage has gone. Arm strength be damned.

Yeah, it really doesn't mater how hard you throw it if you put it where you want, and I think there's something to be said for softer, well placed balls being easier to catch as well, so you don't see as many drops. Does he have less room for error because the ball takes a microsecond longer to get there? Sure, but we're talking about the most accurate passer in the history of the league.
I think this sums it up very well

I know this has been talked about since forever, but follow me for a moment.
I was talking with a guy (he knows his stuff) and he said that in week 1 Brees had the slowest ball among all quarterbacks - more or less.
I’m used to watch Brees and not much used to watch other quarterbacks, so maybe I missed the slow decline of his arm.
It’s obvious that he doesn’t make 60-yarders anymore, but this is a different matter. I’m talking about ball velocity on intermediate throws.
Yes, the young qbs throw missiles even on 10 yard passes, but I don’t like that for the most part, sometimes this doesn’t help the receiver (thinking of Cam). And speaking of Cam, yesterday his ball was quite slow, I don’t think it was faster than Brees’ ball.
So the question is, do you think his ball has slowed down so much, or is that more a matter of touch, as if he WANTS to be accurate and put the receiver in the best position to catch?

Your guy has eyes that double as radar guns?

I say we cut brees. he is obviously too old and in utter decline. his arm strength is non-existent and his balls no longer contain velocity. I am also a moron.
Oh no. Please don’t cut Drew. It would be sad to see New England pick him up and bench Brady, after all Tom has done for that franchise. ?

I don't think there's any question he's lost a little zip to his throws, but as others have said, it doesn't matter if he's completing 75% of his passes for 370 yards a game. And I bet he can still sling it 50 yards if he's able to step into his throw.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom