Brees’ ball velocity (1 Viewer)

It's noticeable. I thought he actually improved in the second half. First half, his passes seemed to hang and were wobbly.

Ultimately, he still is among the best. It does make it a tad easier to defend him though.

Peyton Manning was like this before he really fell off. That one year in Denver when he threw like 50 TDs, he basically looked like Drew. That's the only thing that scares me is that Brees could fall off a cliff like Manning. But then again, Manning had the neck problems so hopefully that's why he declined so rapidly.
Wobbly passes? Billy Kilmer says hold my beer.

Guaranteed at the end of this season, Brees will lead the league in some category that he's always lead in. Even IF his throwing velocity has decreased, he obviously doesn't need it to throw as accurate as he does. I think what you are seeing is the difference in a true professional QB (Brees) and a young impatient QB (Newton). When Brees makes a mistake he doesn't come out and play with that in his mind, he maintains his composure and plays like the MVP/HOFer that he is. When Newton makes a mistake, it eats at him, throws his game off, if the game doesn't go his way he starts forcing throws, overthrowing his wide open receivers, etc.

From one of our other posters. This says it all.

I got another stat that few know about, from a Texan's player. Let this one set in: According to the Texans, Drew Brees put the ball in the air 43 times, and the Texans NEVER got a single hand on the ball. Dunno if it's true or not, but they were extremely concerned that they were never able to even touch the football. No pass break ups, no batting the ball away, nothing. That's why after the game, they cut cornerback Aaron Colvin, who had just recently had been signed to a 34 million dollar contract.
Colvin signed a free-agent deal with the Texans in 2018 worth $34 million with $18 million guaranteed, and Drew Brees cost the man his job.

Here...found the quote, it was from Texan's safety Tashaun Gipson:
While Colvin became the scapegoat for Houston’s secondary struggles in Week 1, his teammates were quick to point out that he was far from the only problem in a game where no defensive back got a hand on the ball.

“That’s truly embarrassing as a secondary and I’ll be one to say I gave up my share of things in that game,” safety Tashaun Gipson said. “So for somebody to pinpoint one person it’s unfair. But for (Drew Brees) to throw the ball over 40 times, that’s dang near impossible for us in the secondary not to get our hand on one ball. That’s one of the things we have to change.”

Edit: Oops, I guess both Tashaun Gipson and I both forgot that INT Drew threw in the redzone. LOL I guess Tashaun didn't count that as the ball was thrown right at the guy, it's not like he made a defensive play on the ball. Or maybe that was a LB that made the INT, so the statement that no DB got a hand on a ball might still stand. haha

I really don't get the point of the statement. As a QB you throw the ball only as hard as need to throw the ball, period. Not every situation calls for throwing a laser. A well placed ball, thrown to a spot that only the receiver can make a play on it beats a poorly placed fastball every time.

I really don't get the point of the statement. As a QB you throw the ball only as hard as need to throw the ball, period. Not every situation calls for throwing a laser. A well placed ball, thrown to a spot that only the receiver can make a play on it beats a poorly placed fastball every time.
Which is one of the things Taysom Hill showed in preseason he still has to work on. He's got such a live arm that he was throwing bullets on screen passes and really short crossing routes that were difficult to catch or dropped.

And with there typically not being a single inch of wasted motion in Brees's throws, he has the luxury of being able to throw it softer than guys with a big wind up. Especially since he's just so accurate.

I'll believe Drew is over the hill when he does a post game press conference looking like this.

1568398895077.png

Now this looks like its been its been worn out already.
I'll never understand guys wearing glasses when they don't have bad vision. And that's the least of the problems with that get up.

I know this has been talked about since forever, but follow me for a moment.
I was talking with a guy (he knows his stuff) and he said that in week 1 Brees had the slowest ball among all quarterbacks - more or less.
I’m used to watch Brees and not much used to watch other quarterbacks, so maybe I missed the slow decline of his arm.
It’s obvious that he doesn’t make 60-yarders anymore, but this is a different matter. I’m talking about ball velocity on intermediate throws.
Yes, the young qbs throw missiles even on 10 yard passes, but I don’t like that for the most part, sometimes this doesn’t help the receiver (thinking of Cam). And speaking of Cam, yesterday his ball was quite slow, I don’t think it was faster than Brees’ ball.
So the question is, do you think his ball has slowed down so much, or is that more a matter of touch, as if he WANTS to be accurate and put the receiver in the best position to catch?

It's been said Brees is like the Greg Maddux of NFL quarterbacks. Never a flamethrower, but not a guy you'd want to be opposing on the field.

Maddux is a HOF'er and Brees will be inducted within a nanosecond of all formalities of being induced after he retires.

Last edited:
Imagine how it must feel for an opposing secondary. Getting tore up by an old man with a slow throw haha. As a somewhat aged man myself I'd take greater pride in that than anything. If I'm killing you at this age you had no chance in my prime.

He can't make all arm throws like he once could, but if he has time to step into it, he has adequate arm strength.

Nothing like crossing sports to find a similar situation, but really I look at it like Michael Jordan. MJ, in the 80’s and early 90’s, was destroying everything with his athleticism. By the mid 90’s he had changed his game to fit his current self and became unstoppable fading away and hitting jump shots- not dunking on people.

But like Jordan, Drew keeps his body in tremendous shape and never takes a break- physically or mentally. Frankly, I don’t care if he can complete a 40 yarder off his back foot. He can complete a 40 yarder on 3 and two with the game on the line. Some say it was inderthrown. Go look back- he always underthrows..... most of the time on purpose. Seriously go look when he was throwing to Antonio Gates and LT and you will see highlight after highlight of receivers waiting on the ball. He completes a higher % than anyone in history so it obviously isn’t luck. Why risk the incompletion by trying to drop a dime when putting it where you know the receiver will catch it matters more.

I am homer so I will shut up but I was lucky enough to be at Purdue when Drew was there. I have seen nearly every game pass he has thrown since his freshman year at Purdue. I feel comfortable in saying that honestly the biggest difference is he doesn’t try to do too much nearly as often as he used to.

The simple fact is, that when you hit age 35 or so, you start to dramatically lose your quick twitch muscle fibers. No matter how athletic you are or how well you take care of yourself, you can not beat Father Time. So his quick twitch fibers are quickly turning into slow twitch fibers. His endurance will be his greatest asset at this age, but his ability to throw bullets are a thing of the past. It’s a great thing that that was never his MO anyway. Accuracy and conditioning have always been his thing. So he’s gonna be just fine for years to come.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom