Brees’ ball velocity (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I know this has been talked about since forever, but follow me for a moment.
I was talking with a guy (he knows his stuff) and he said that in week 1 Brees had the slowest ball among all quarterbacks - more or less.
I’m used to watch Brees and not much used to watch other quarterbacks, so maybe I missed the slow decline of his arm.
It’s obvious that he doesn’t make 60-yarders anymore, but this is a different matter. I’m talking about ball velocity on intermediate throws.
Yes, the young qbs throw missiles even on 10 yard passes, but I don’t like that for the most part, sometimes this doesn’t help the receiver (thinking of Cam). And speaking of Cam, yesterday his ball was quite slow, I don’t think it was faster than Brees’ ball.
So the question is, do you think his ball has slowed down so much, or is that more a matter of touch, as if he WANTS to be accurate and put the receiver in the best position to catch?

I really don't get into these debate that has been going on for 5 years. Honestly I don't know. Of course it doesn't have that zip that I see from other quarterbacks. But guess what, it gets there and he still lead the league in completion percentage. He is putting up points and yardage. At this point, it doesn't matter. His preparations and smarts will overcome those things.

No he does not. Does that remotely change anything about how you feel about Brees being the Saints QB?

I was talking with a guy (he knows his stuff) and he said that in week 1 Brees had the slowest ball among all quarterbacks - more or less.

Drew did post one of the slowest Time to Throws in the NFL week 1. Maybe the guy that knows stuff was talking about that stat instead of velocity. IMO that's a very good thing for Drew because it could mean he is comfortable in the pocket and being well protected -or just as likely just rusty because it was his first game and he needed to get his TT up to game speed.

Just for reference, Saints last losing season (2016) Drew was 2.42 TT. In 2017 and 2018 he was 2.59 and 2.58 IIRC. Against Houston he was 2.85.

Last edited:
It's noticeable. I thought he actually improved in the second half. First half, his passes seemed to hang and were wobbly.

Ultimately, he still is among the best. It does make it a tad easier to defend him though.

Peyton Manning was like this before he really fell off. That one year in Denver when he threw like 50 TDs, he basically looked like Drew. That's the only thing that scares me is that Brees could fall off a cliff like Manning. But then again, Manning had the neck problems so hopefully that's why he declined so rapidly.

Even the year Peyton threw 50 TDs in Denver, he some ugly, UGLY looking whiffleball, knuckle ball floaters for passes; but hey they still made it to the receivers.

It's non issue because when you have pre-snap saavy, you throw on time, and are accurate the end result will be completions. It does not matter if you have to throw a half second before other guys.

When Drew steps into his throw, he can zip the ball with the best of them. If he isn't able to step, his throws slow down significantly. Young bucks like Watson can throw darts off his back foot, but Drew isn't there anymore, if he ever was.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom