Brees and Free Agent visits.. (1 Viewer)

Sean

All-Pro
Reaction score
This was just a random thought that came across my mind and I was hoping maybe someone could help me out..But I never really understood why the Saints don't use Brees on some of these big free agent visits such as Asomugha right now more often..I'm sure Payton and Loomis are very good talkers and sell the Saints well but if Payton, Loomis, AND Brees were there to talk to the free agent, it would be a done deal! :worthy:

Their aren't very many if any better speakers in this league than Brees..I just saw something online where Andre Johnson of the Texans went with the front office to talk to Ed Reed on his recent visit and it made me think...

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Brees is a part of some of our FA acquisitions over the last couple years. Whether he was there and spoke or not, he is a major part.

SweetT

Old alias known as FLASH
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
How do you think we landed sprolesie.....
He wasn't there to greet Sproles when he got off of the plane. Brees and Sproles work out together during the offseason in San Diego. I think you are missing the OP's point. He means have Brees attend free agent visits where Drew may not have any ties to that particular player. That way Drew can act as an influence or help convince player A (insert free agent visitor) to join the team. Drew had already knew Sproles and told him "if Reggie leaves/get traded, then you are coming to New Orleans). It's different circumstances, but you were close.

WhoDatElite

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Andre Johnson and Ed Reed are very close friends, going back to there says at Miami. So I'm guessing That's why he was apart of that.

Brees gets about 3 months with his family in San Diego before he starts getting back into his training and workouts around April. So I doubt, anyone wants to ask him to fly back to NO so he give a pep talk to a defensive free agent.

Jackavelli

Sarang Upso
Reaction score
If I'm nnamdi on a visit I wanna meet with RR and the secondary coach. To the OP topic, if I'm a wr for example, I wanna meet the wr coach, the OC, and Payton. Probably not popular, but only if I'm a QB, do I wanna meet Brees on visit.

4thqtrsaint

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Picayune said Nmadi didn't visit with Loomis or Payton today. They went to the league meetings. I'm willing to bet Ryan was there for the visit, just to find out what it would take & gauge interest.

BuffaloSaint

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Does Brees spend the offseason in NOLA? For some reason I thought he went back to San Diego for a good portion of it.

WhoDatElite

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Does Brees spend the offseason in NOLA? For some reason I thought he went back to San Diego for a good portion of it.
He spends the majority of his offseason in San Diego. His trainer is based out of San Diego. He works with a group of players at the facilities at la Jolla high school. He only lives in Nola during training camp and the season.

bravesoul99

Reaction score
He spends the majority of his offseason in San Diego. His trainer is based out of San Diego. He works with a group of players at the facilities at la Jolla high school. He only lives in Nola during training camp and the season.
When his kids start school this will be hard to keep doing.

Merl

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Under the rules of the new CBA I don't think he would be allowed to. Players under contract can't meet with coaches for "football" reasons during the early off season. I think they can start sometime around the draft though.

NYCsaint

Reaction score
Under the rules of the new CBA I don't think he would be allowed to. Players under contract can't meet with coaches for "football" reasons during the early off season. I think they can start sometime around the draft though.
Simply not true.

They can't be mandated, but they can be at airline working out and watching film with coaches year round.

In this case, I'd guess its not uncommon if hes in town or has a personal interest in a guy to meet up. I doubt he regularly does it, and its probably more often joining for dinner or a tour of the city but I will put noney on the fact that he has been used as a selling point.

RickKoper

Reaction score
If I was a defensive, veteran player that didn't have a relationship with Drew, I'd think it pretty arrogant of him to come in and think his presence would influence my decision. I'd wonder what the heck the coaches and front office were thinking to put a quarterback in a defensive player's meeting to talk about possible contract negotiations.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
jasonsw Saints Drew Brees for MVP? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 2
Dan in Lafayette Drew Brees excellent throughout, Marcus Davenport comes up with big sack in New Orleans Saints victory against Panthers SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Brees' clutch precision lifts Saints past Panthers, 27-24 SR News Page Articles 0
Tom Brady passes Drew Brees for NFL passing touchdowns record Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Tom Brady ties Drew Brees with his 558th career touchdown pass Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Bigsaints Brees before the half Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 31
Krodwhodat Drew Brees is a better QB with less talented receivers Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 33
Drew Brees, Alvin Kamara lead depleted Saints offense past Panthers Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saint Kamara Game winning drives, Brees getting closer to the record Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 8
Saint Kamara Thank God for Drew Brees Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 27
Drew Brees' latest milestone? Saints QB the first in NFL history to hit 7K completions Saints RSS News Feeds 0
saintmike23 Saints That was the closest Drew Brees special ever! Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 0
The end of the QB era, Part 3: Drew Brees’ legacy Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Drew Brees reacts to New Orleans Saints vs Carolina Panthers Week 7, Teddy Bridgewater Is No-Problem SR News Page Articles 0
Saints QB Drew Brees teams up with LaToya Cantrell for new coronavirus PSA Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Tom Brady now one touchdown pass behind Drew Brees’ career record Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Brees Air Stats Over 10 Yards Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 50
Dan in Lafayette Saints mainstays Brees, Jordan, Morstead climbing higher in team record books SR News Page Articles 0
Saints should start Jameis over Brees during an 'easy' 4-game stretch - Domonique Foxworth Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 116
Darren B Jeff Duncan book - Payton and Brees Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 9
Marty_Graw Brees purchases Condo on Canal St Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 74
Drew Brees buys luxury Canal Street condo, celebrity news site reports Saints RSS News Feeds 0
jasonsw Brees last 4 games Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 87
Free Safety and Linebackers should be what’s on the Trade Radar Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 6
Dan in Lafayette Saints make interesting choices with their bye week free agent tryouts SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Saints 2021 free agency: Trey Hendrickson earning top priority SR News Page Articles 0
DerrickB Marcus Williams Fires Agent Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 57
Saints safety Marcus Williams is in the market for a new agent Saints RSS News Feeds 0