Brees Apologizes [merged] (1 Viewer)

No but they also didnt verbally imply that "ReSpecC da FLaGg" is more important than human lives.
That's extremely short-sighted and not at all representative of what Brees said. You do yourself as well as what you purport to fight for no favors by misrepresenting what really happened. If it's empathy you want, you'll be hard-pressed to get it from anyone that way and you'll never see the equality you fight for by railing against those who would otherwise be your ally. Hate & vitriol will get you nowhere, Understanding & dialogue is the only path forward. I read this post & those of a few others and all I see is someone who isn't at all interested in working to move forward together.

And you know that how? Because he didn't kneel for the anthem? I've got news, there were a LOT of players, both black & white who were not kneeling. Does that mean they all didn't support their brothers too?
Kneeling is the physical symbolism of you supporting this movement. He hasn't done that or supported it verbally.

You're right, that's not what he said. Just like Kaepernick never said he was kneeling to protest the flag or the anthem or America.

Actually he did, but I guess if so many people say it enough times then it becomes true. He is quoted as specifically mentioning pride in the flag.

If that's what you got out of what he said, it's because that's what you wanted to get out of it. If you care to share a quote from Drew from which you got the implication, I'd like to see it.
"I will never agree with anyone with anyone (who is) disrespecting the flag"

"Never", he said.

Some of the biggest racists I have ever known are actually from the north. The way they got around to all white public schools was by living in certain neighborhoods while the blacks lived in the inner city which the south was not allowed to do as public school districts had to be approved by the federal government. So, the south had to bus kids of all races all across their districts. I remember terrible violence in Boston when the schools tried busing there. Check history, you might be surprised but you will have to look on something other than facebook, twitter and instagram.

What a load of bunk!!!! You know who else didn't stand with Kaepernick? A significant majority of NFL players who didn't kneel. Malcom Jenkins stopped kneeling when the league agreed to donate millions to the cause. It doesn't mean they don't support the cause.

You know who else doesn't agree with Kaep? About 99% of fans who attend NFL games and stand for the anthem. Period.
I wouldn't expect those who are racist at heart to stand with him. I wouldn't expect a group of folks who don't face what black Americans do to stand with him. I wouldn't expect the weak to take a stand either.

I would however expect a man who has made millions playing alongside a majority of black athletes to not be so tone deaf to what they are battling. I would expect a "Christian" man to have a heart that causes him to care more about his fellow man than a piece of cloth dangling from a pole.

Fine, I'll play.

Lets see...

A man is gruesomely murdered in public due to ongoing racially charged police brutality...

Drew Brees is asked about how he feels about a form of protest that condemns racially charged police brutality to which he reaponds:

"I will never agree with anyone with anyone disrespecting the flag"

Drew Brees has revealed himself as someone who values honoring a flag and what he believes it represents more than human life lost to racially charged police brutality.

But he's apologized and realized thats not a decent way to be.
But why do you only quote his first few words? Why don't you quote the part where he says that the flag is also a symbol of the civil rights movement and that he stands in unity with those to be part of the solution?

These two opposing opinions are not equal in morality.

One is pro human life.

The other is opposes "certain" human life.

I think the latter opinion is undeserving of respect, merit, or attention.

“I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color,” Kaepernick told NFL Media after Friday’s game.
He wasn't protesting the flag or the anthem or America. It was about the way Black people are treated in this country. But you know this already.

Actually he did, but I guess if so many people say it enough times then it becomes true. He is quoted as specifically mentioning pride in the flag.

He wasn't protesting the flag or the anthem or America. It was about the way Black people are treated in this country. But you know this already.

"I will never agree with anyone with anyone (who is) disrespecting the flag"

"Never", he said.
This is the problem. You wish he had said "with anyone who is disrespecting the flag" because that makes it sound like he disagrees with the cause. So you insert "who is" to make it sound worse, but it changes the entire meaning of the statement. What he said was "I will never agree with anyone disrespecting the flag." The fact that you felt the need to add words to his statement to make it sound worse proves that there was nothing wrong with his statement.

He clearly disagrees with the form of the protest but not the cause behind it. Can you not see that? Why does it matter so much that he disagrees with the form of the protest when the actual fight against police brutality is what's important?

That's extremely short-sighted and not at all representative of what Brees said. You do yourself as well as what you purport to fight for no favors by misrepresenting what really happened. If it's empathy you want, you'll be hard-pressed to get it from anyone that way and you'll never see the equality you fight for by railing against those who would otherwise be your ally. Hate & vitriol will get you nowhere, Understanding & dialogue is the only path forward. I read this post & those of a few others and all I see is someone who isn't at all interested in working to move forward together.
Whether or not it was said directly or indirectly, that's exactly what's implied.

But you're right about one thing, I DO NOT want to move forward together with anyone who opposes human life.

How can we possibly be "together" if you value a flag and its sentimental value to you over the potential loss of my life. Let me explain why I just said this:

Choosing to speak up about a flag and what it means to you and not choosing to speak up about the issue that's causing you to speak up at all says A LOT.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom