Brees Apologizes [merged] (1 Viewer)

I would be more amenable to Brees and his opinions right now IF this was a political situation. This is NOT that. This is a human rights issue; and because of that his comments are disturbing, uncalled for, and did much harm. We should not be so quick to just gloss over his comments and “forgive” him. At some point we should draw a line and hold the line. That time is now.

Drew Brees has done more for the black people than Jenkins, Thomas, Kamara done combined...... what a joke this has become.

I can't wait until one of these guys is arrested for drugs or murder charges. Then they will know about justice
C’mon man, your last statement doesn’t help. Grow up.

I would be more amenable to Brees and his opinions right now IF this was a political situation. This is NOT that. This is a human rights issue; and because of that his comments are disturbing, uncalled for, and did much harm. We should not be so quick to just gloss over his comments and “forgive” him. At some point we should draw a line and hold the line. That time is now.
I disagree. Although I thought Drew's comments were insensitive and tone-deaf, his comments could have come from 99% of white people. So this is an opportunity for communication and understanding. Yes, white people need to do the work here and not the other way around, but drawing the line you seem to draw is not the answer.

You guys, I know you mean well, and are looking at this just as much as from a "don't want the team to be dividied so we can win games" point of view...but please, now is not the time to tell a black man who is on the front lines fighting racial equality to apologize for his reaction to Brees making a tone deaf remark

Thank you for saying this. I was getting ready accept my eventual ban over what my response was going to be. I’m glad you addressed the ridiculous call to have Malcolm essentially “bend the knee“ before I did. Thank you!🙏🏿

I guess I hope that Brees really does feel the way he's saying he does. Can someone change their views over whether kneeling during the anthem being 'disrespectful' overnight?

I have my doubts. But good on him for wanting to keep peace within the organization and admitting he wants to understand more.

i would argue you could make the case that it has measurably gotten better from where it was 20, 40 years ago

Is it perfect and are there still dinosaurs around? No and yes.

Yes, cameras are everywhere and every transgression is picked up and amplified as if it is the norm, and social media whips everyone into a frenzy regardless of measurable if uneven progress.

YOU may be able to make that case, but I highly doubt most Black people will.

The marginalization, disenfranchisement, and subjugation has only evolved into alternate manifestations. Black wealth is still gravely lacking due to various laws and government policies. Black healthcare is a joke. We still die at a higher rate, due to implicit bias from healthcare workers. It’s plenty more to list, but I’m tired. I’m tired of living through it; tired of fighting through it; tired of explaining it to (SOME) of y’all.

It seems that unless America goes back to writing “White/Black Only” on buildings SOME White people will continue fooling themselves into believing that Black folks are treated justly- we are not. Today’s racism is SLIGHTLY more covert than yesteryear’s, but it is still very active and just as destructive.

I'm relieved. After the initial interview, this has been the best outcome we could have possibly hoped for. I don't see this being an issue into the season.

I guess I hope that Brees really does feel the way he's saying he does. Can someone change their views over whether kneeling during the anthem being 'disrespectful' overnight?

I have my doubts. But good on him for wanting to keep peace within the organization and admitting he wants to understand more.

It’s situational and perspective.This is not about disrespecting a flag this is about attaining simple human rights for the African American community. Now is not the time to pick a hill to die on its time to listen and try and understand the complexities thatpeople are going through.

him making it about military was the point that missed the point. This has nothing to do with that it isn’t political. I’m sure he still believes he shouldn’t take a knee to the flag. But I never doubted for a second that he cared about the African American community. This spiralled bad, and it’s good on him fortaking these steps.

I say no. But IMO, I don't think he necessarily has to change his views. I have personal views that are in direct opposition to what I DO almost everyday, but no one needs to know that. Voicing my personal opinions in certain situations wouldn't be constructive, so I don't do it. I just try to help however I can.

On a somewhat related note, I'm always amazed how posters (mainly on the EE board) miraculously change their views in one or two posts. It's usually after no one agrees with their original stance and someone quotes them and calls them by name. "Timmy, I've known you for a long time and you're a good guy so I know you mean well.... Timmy." Suddenly Timmy sees the error of his ways and thanks everyone for helping him to see the light.

Hilarious. Like those religious shows where the preacher whacks someone across the forehead and suddenly they can walk.

Anyway, Drew is a great ally to have. If he says he's going to do something, he'll do it. I honestly don't care if he THINKS the right thing, just DO the right thing. "So you don't think players should kneel during the anthem? Ok great, thanks for sharing. See you at city hall tomorrow morning. We've got some legislation to get passed."

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom