Brees Apologizes [merged] (1 Viewer)

We’ll see if all these players have forgiveness in their hearts or want to use yesterday’s statement as the basis for taking Drew down. I don’t remember many non minority celebrities, sports figures, etc who were forgiven and given a second chance. As one player wrote yesterday, “None if the white QBs in the league stood with us when we needed them most (during Kaep knelling controversy). There is a deep seeded resentment toward the White QBs in the league because of their pay and attention they get.

Some will stop and some will continue. I'd love to see him be the first superstar white QB to take a knee during the anthem.
he shouldnt go against his beliefs, the flag during the anthem is sacred to him due to his grandfathers in WW2.

kneeling BEFORE the anthem in unity like he has done previously is likely what will and what should happen. isnt that what this is all about. Unity? elbows locked kneeling is what all teams/players should do before games to unite IMO.

this world needs some kind of unity, for a long time now, but now more than ever. but you'll always have someone mad no matter what happens. either players kneel before and you have the "im not watching this crap" crowd or the crowd thats behind it. or you have players kneeling during the anthem and you have others saying the same thing. everyone will always have an opinion. right or wrong.

he shouldnt go against his beliefs, the flag during the anthem is sacred to him due to his grandfathers in WW2.

kneeling BEFORE the anthem in unity like he has done previously is likely what will and what should happen. isnt that what this is all about. Unity? elbows locked kneeling is what all teams/players should do before games to unite IMO.

this world needs some kind of unity, for a long time now, but now more than ever. but you'll always have someone mad no matter what happens. either players kneel before and you have the "im not watching this crap" crowd or the crowd thats behind it. or you have players kneeling during the anthem and you have others saying the same thing. everyone will always have an opinion. right or wrong.
I don't want him to go against his beliefs. I want him to change his beliefs. That is my hope.

Some will stop and some will continue. I'd love to see him be the first superstar white QB to take a knee during the anthem.

I doubt that will ever happen. I think the kneeling during the anthem evokes a too visceral reaction in him to do it sincerely. But, I also don't think it's necessary. I think if he just accepts his teammates right to protest in that way and stand with them in trying to make things better, and take real action to make the world better, that would be fine.

Because at the end of the day - we really are past symbols now. We need action, and Drew can be a powerful uniting force for real change, not just symbols.

That's how he wins everyone back.. by doing something.

Good first step back in the right direction. It reads like him and not some paid consultant. I was so disappointed in his take but also knowing his upbringing and having a similar one, I know how big of a deal the patriotism drum sounds in the affluent burbs. He wouldn't have made it in NO this long if he was an irredeemable racist and the work he's done helping the various diverse communities has, at least for me, earned him a shot at redemption. I would hope that issues like this are part of the goal in changing our national outlook. Reflection and positive change should be the overall endgame and this is a prime example of how that can be done.

“I stand with the black community in the fight against systemic racial injustice and police brutality and support the creation of real policy change that will make a difference.
I condemn the years of oppression that have taken place throughout our black communities and still exists today.
I acknowledge that we as Americans, including myself, have not done enough to fight for that equality or to truly understand the struggles and plight of the black community.”
——————
This is great, but I sure wish he said this yesterday during that interview.
I think he probably thought he did, when he spoke about standing together in solidarity. He just REALLY needed to elaborate more. IMHO this was a case of miscommunication wrapped in a single self centered statement.

I doubt that will ever happen. I think the kneeling during the anthem evokes a too visceral reaction in him to do it sincerely. But, I also don't think it's necessary. I think if he just accepts his teammates right to protest in that way and stand with them in trying to make things better, and take real action to make the world better, that would be fine.

Because at the end of the day - we really are past symbols now. We need action, and Drew can be a powerful uniting force for real change, not just symbols.

That's how he wins everyone back.. by doing something.
this is said perfectly. kaepernick started it back in 2016. was blackballed and now out the league. 4 years later, the world, USA particularly, is still having the same types of crimes. now is time for action rather than a football player kneeling. need to use their pedestal they are on to try and help. kneeling got the world talking. now lets fix it.

i havent had time to research, so if anyone knows i'm asking honestly, all of these people blistering brees on social media, have they done any type of ACTION to help this? and i'm not talking about donating money. like physical action?

What I don't understand is that players who kneeled during the anthem to make a statement, did it out of 'free speech' that their fathers and grandfathers fought for. Yet when Brees expresses his opinion and disagrees on 'how' the protests were done (using free speech that his grandfather fought for) he was chastised and labeled a racist.

What I don't understand is that players who kneeled during the anthem to make a statement, did it out of 'free speech' that their fathers and grandfathers fought for. Yet when Brees expresses his opinion and disagrees on 'how' the protests were done (using free speech that his grandfather fought for) he was chastised and labeled a racist.
i agree.

but a lot of the ones that knelt were chastised from the opposite crowd to. you'll always have someone that likes and doesnt like it. some people said the kneeling players were just using free speech. the others were saying how they are done with the nfl, cut that player, etc.

same here with brees. but given the time/circumstances. there are WAY more that are vocal with the negative side of brees comments. and you have the opposite group saying "hes using his free speech"

Good first step back in the right direction. It reads like him and not some paid consultant. I was so disappointed in his take but also knowing his upbringing and having a similar one, I know how big of a deal the patriotism drum sounds in the affluent burbs. He wouldn't have made it in NO this long if he was an irredeemable racist and the work he's done helping the various diverse communities has, at least for me, earned him a shot at redemption. I would hope that issues like this are part of the goal in changing our national outlook. Reflection and positive change should be the overall endgame and this is a prime example of how that can be done.
So Drew is a racist in your opinion? The question is if he is a redeemable racist vs an irredeemable racist?

So Drew is a racist in your opinion? The question is if he is a redeemable racist vs an irredeemable racist?
That's not what I said at all. The "he wouldn't have made it" line means that I absolutely don't believe he is one and if it's not clear thats on me. I guess adding in the word irredeemable was a bit extra on my part and confused the point. That said, he absolutely messed up and was completely tone deaf to a city and his teammates. I really think he begins to understand that now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom