Brees Apologizes [merged] (1 Viewer)

Good first step as some have said. Now actions are important going forward. I think the team will be fine. I hope this turns into something great and mobilize the movement for change even more.

I for one FORGIVE Drew Brees. I think his comments were off the cuff without really thinking about what they might cause.

Trump and the KKK and White nationalist groups (YES I put them together because Trump has proven time and again where his allegiance truly lies) could have come out and offered their full support for what Brees' perceived position was... and that would have put Drew in an unholy alliance that he did not deserve to be in.

I accept his apology, and hope that the team and community will as well.

I think Drew's statement was sincere and showed an understanding of why his initial comment got the reaction it did. That's enough for me.

BTW, I would recommend anyone who hasn't to read Marques Colston's tweet.
I just saw Demario Davis on Get Up! What an awesome man. Frankly he is not only the hope of the Saints but our society.

Some don't like the stock photo Drew decided to put up on IG for his apology.

He should have shut up, educated himself, and then spoke. I wont argue with that. I don't think he had any ill intent, but sometimes things cut different that we intend because of lack of awareness. He is trying.

What bothers me in the comments is people saying "too late". Do we have the luxury of saying "too late"? If we are to move forward together, as people become better educated about the issue, the more people are going to join the movement. Too late, just isn't a part of moving forward. Strength is in numbers. Numbers come through listening and education.

I'm a white dude. The way I try to explain it is, a teacher teaches a kid addition. On the test, the teacher only puts multiplication problems. We have never seen multiplication before. We have no idea what it is. Can the teacher blame the kid for getting all of them wrong? We are trying to understand. I am trying my best to understand, and to know what I can do. Should I have done this long ago, absolutely. But I just don't agree with "too late". Moving forward together for a better America, means, well, together. Too late, just isn't helping. It seems to me that the people who are being told "too late" are exactly the people you need to get on your side. The people on your side, you already have them. Strength in numbers requires you turn people onto your side.

Can you imagine WW2, if the European nations told the US, nah, too late. Stay over there, you should have been with us from the beginning.

It's not too late; you're right about that. I think he made a great first step towards unity and awareness (both his own and others) with this apology.

As a general rule, I tend to avoid online comments sections because they are full of nonsense.

I didn't care for his initial comments or the timing of it, but I appreciate his seemingly sincere apology, his clarification, and his willingness to listen to others on this whole matter.

Dear Drew,

Everyone that hasn't lived under a rock or wasn't looking for a public figure to blast for attention - Already knew this about you...

It's unfortunate, but there are feed up people looking for a visible external target to project their anger and disgust on, so they can bring more attention to a travesty in this country (and they should).... But I also think people know who you are as a man, and know you are not what they tried to paint you to be...

That said, I am glad you set the record straight... Thanks #9

What was he kneeling for?

I think he was just pointing out that Brees has technically never knelt with players during the anthem. I'm not saying that he needs to, just pointing out that he technically never has before (he would kneel before the anthem and then stand).

It’s hurting what he said . It will take some time to heal. I’m hoping he gets on his knees with his teammates. I’m hoping he uses his resources to help the black community then we can move forward. I do appreciate that he said he messed up.
I think he has knelt.

Just not during the anthem...

My initial reaction would be to discuss in private first.

Now days it's put your life and business on crappy social media.

Let's say I understand their reaction, but smear him publicly, no i have more class than that, and Drew has class.

Unfortunately, in the world (and social media blogosphere) we live in today, not making public statements...particularly on things like this...is almost as bad as saying the wrong thing in a public statement. Silence is violence, etc.

Social media has become so ingrained in our culture that there is now an expectation that people make everything they think, on any given thing, public...while at the same time being in the impossible situation of those thoughts being agreeable to everyone. It's not a meaningful place for understanding and dialog, and is a convenient tool for people to take shots, stir the pot, and then blast the fallout to the masses.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom