Brees Apologizes [merged] (1 Viewer)

Come game day this will all be on display yet again. Some (probably a lot more now) kneeling during the National Anthem and Drew isolated as he stands at attention. A couple of extreme thoughts come to mind. 1. Cut Drew. 2. Wish for Drew to retire. 3. Drew kneel with the other guys. I do feel for all people of color and non-color who face police brutality. Cop's are mean. Maybe it should be a movement that is color blind vs' seemingly only for people of color. Just a thought.
But, it isn't only "police brutality" that we are talking about. It is also private citizen "brutality" in a different but no less demeaning way.

There are very good and well-intentioned people across this country. Unfortunately there are also racist and bigoted people who make it tough for everyone, especially minorities. And Donald Trump has made it not only OK, but their duty to come out and display their bigotry.

I hope this helps bridge the divide between himself, his teammates and the community. But I fear that it will be seen just as a PR move by one side or a sellout move by the other. I’m not sure we live in a culture that believes in reconciliation any more. If we ever did.
Brees seems to be a product of the culture that places a lot of weight on traditional views of patriotism and Americana. In a way that’s good. That mindset of if “I just work harder than the next guy I’ll succeed”definitely paid off for him But it makes him naive about the hurdles many people face in which merely working hard isn’t enough. It’s a big blind spot

More broadly I think it speaks to how different people see not only the current state of America but the history. Guys like Brees are all in on the positive that dominated pop culture & education for decades. Rightly or wrongly the younger generation is seeing the cracks and ugly side more than the positive.

So I think ultimately it’s just a clash that is bound to happen. It’s just two different worldview colliding. But that’s why conversations matter now more than ever and not writing someone off because they only agree with 85% instead of 100%. If your goal is to change hearts and minds you have to talk things out. Forgive missteps from otherwise decent people who don’t understand what it’s like to be you.

We all make mistakes and I respect Drew for doing the right thing.

I think he was just pointing out that Brees has technically never knelt with players during the anthem. I'm not saying that he needs to, just pointing out that he technically never has before (he would kneel before the anthem and then stand).
Which to me is splitting hairs. The guys truly cares and we are in a uproar because he is willing to kneel to support BLM before but not during the anthem. It’s hard for me to understand so I guess I’ll bow out of the conversation at this point.

My initial reaction would be to discuss in private first.

Now days it's put your life and business on crappy social media.

Let's say I understand their reaction, but smear him publicly, no i have more class than that, and Drew has class.

Demario said that Drew talked to him yesterday. I think he also talked to Malcom. Who knows how many talks he made. And today he has a team meeting.

I'll say the same thing as yesterday: actions speak louder than words. Let's see what is the next step on Drew Brees' social career.

Same as yesterday, I think good is going to come from this. Change comes by facing uncomfortable situations.

now waiting to see how all the people bashing him respond.

go brees!

I agree! Now let's see all those that were bashing him yesterday step to support him! Those that do you know were speaking from a true place and not just trying to stir up crap!

While I’m glad he apologized, I still fear someone will try to injure him this season. Not everyone will just accept this. He needs to do more imho. “Be about it”

He should have shut up, educated himself, and then spoke. I wont argue with that. I don't think he had any ill intent, but sometimes things cut different than we intend because of lack of awareness. He is trying.

What bothers me in the comments is people saying "too late". Do we have the luxury of saying "too late"? If we are to move forward together, as people become better educated about the issue, the more people are going to join the movement. Too late, just isn't a part of moving forward. Strength is in numbers. Numbers come through listening and education.

I'm a white dude. The way I try to explain it is, a teacher teaches a kid addition. On the test, the teacher only puts multiplication problems. We have never seen multiplication before. We have no idea what it is. Can the teacher blame the kid for getting all of them wrong? We are trying to understand. I am trying my best to understand, and to know what I can do. Should I have done this long ago, absolutely. But I just don't agree with "too late". Moving forward together for a better America, means, well, together. Too late, just isn't helping. It seems to me that the people who are being told "too late" are exactly the people you need to get on your side. The people on your side, you already have them. Strength in numbers requires you turn people onto your side.

Can you imagine WW2, if the European nations told the US, nah, too late. Stay over there, you should have been with us from the beginning.
Yeah, the war would have went on longer but the Russians ultimately would have prevailed anyway and they would have hung around in Germany to ensure that Germany did not re-arm to invade them a 3rd time in a 50 year period.

But ultimately again I think the Russians would have bankrupted themselves anyway trying to maintain the cordon sanitaire to keep the Germans from ever coming back.

I think he was just pointing out that Brees has technically never knelt with players during the anthem. I'm not saying that he needs to, just pointing out that he technically never has before (he would kneel before the anthem and then stand).
Nor have the majority of NFL players, black and white. The fact is most stand for the anthem and still support the cause to end police brutality.

Which to me is splitting hairs. The guys truly cares and we are in a uproar because he is willing to kneel to support BLM before but not during the anthem. It’s hard for me to understand so I guess I’ll bow out of the conversation at this point.

No need to bow out, man. I don't think anyone is really saying this is a negative on Brees.

A poster (forget who) said that, and I'm paraphrasing, he would like to see Brees be "the first white QB to kneel during the national anthem." You then posted that picture and said "he already has". Someone else then just clarified that he technically hasn't because that was before the anthem was played and the first poster said "during the anthem".

It was just a clarifying statement; I don't think it was meant to be a knock against Brees or anyone else. No biggie.

Nor have the majority of NFL players, black and white. The fact is most stand for the anthem and still support the cause to end police brutality.

I wasn't getting into any of that or relitigating the 2016 kneeling stuff. I was just clarifying what someone else said. I even said that I don't think Brees needs to kneel during the anthem.

Seems sincere. I am happy with that. Now back it up with some kind of concrete action to drive it home. Drew is not dumb. He is a pretty thoughtful guy and I bet he feels like crap about what he said. I think he will turn it around and bring everyone back together.

now waiting to see how all the people bashing him respond.

go brees!

Just look at his Instagram feed....it's disappointing. People who were in support of his original comments are now upset with him for apologizing, and the people that were critical of his original comments think he's full of crap.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom