Brees asks mother to pull his image from her political ads (1 Viewer)

Safety_In_Numbers

Is it gameday yet?
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Something rough must have gone down between them in the past....

http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/newssentinel/sports/15891357.htm

Associated Press
AUSTIN - New Orleans Saints' quarterback Drew Brees has asked his mother to stop using his picture in TV commercials touting her candidacy for a Texas appeals court.

In commercials running on Austin stations, Mina Brees had been using a picture of her son in the uniform of his former team, the San Diego Chargers, to emphasize her ties to football.

"I think the major point here is that my mother is using me in a campaign, and I've made it known many times I don't want to be involved," Drew Brees said Monday.

I heard it mentioned on tv this morning that a rift between them started when she asked to be his agent and he refused. A relationship between them has been non-existent since then, that's what was said on channel 4 this morning.

From the article:
"I love Drew very much, and I'm very proud of him. But sometimes when people are following a career path, they change," she said.

What she fails to realize is that apparently she is the one who changed when she began to follow a career path. Judgiing from Brees' actions since coming to New Orleans, he is the one I'd be more willing to give the benefit of the doubt.

I don't know about you guys...or girls, but I sure as hell wouldn't want my mother to by my agent. I can only imagine the cut she'd ask for...and probably convince me to give her. Luckily, I won't ever have that problem...I haven't been getting calls from talent scouts recently.

"Ummm....Mother's not herself today."

I would assume that he just doesn't want to be politically affiliated, just like most other athletes. Politics is very devisive and that's not really something that you want from your team leader. It's just one more distraction.

Maybe I'm just thinking too much...

Surprising to hear that Drew actually threatened legal action. He seems like such a balanced and well-grounded individual that it's hard to imagine him having such an icy relationship with his mother.

I would assume that he just doesn't want to be politically affiliated, just like most other athletes. Politics is very devisive and that's not really something that you want from your team leader. It's just one more distraction.

Maybe I'm just thinking too much...

I would guess it stems more from his relationship with his mother than anything else.

As for politics and athletes/team leader: Didn't Tom Brady participate in a bunch of Republican national fundraisers a few years ago?

Politics and endorsements do not mix.

edit: Unless their political endorsements. I'm talking about the advertising buck.

To me...it sounds like she knew he didn't want to be involved and she did it anyway for her own political gain. It's sad to use someone (especially your own son) that way. At the very least she should have asked for his permission first. Sucks for them that their relationship is that bad.

Sounds like perfect material for her opponent though..."If Drew Brees, Texas state champion QB, savior of the New Orleans Saints, blah blah, won't support Mina Brees...why should you!"

As for politics and athletes/team leader: Didn't Tom Brady participate in a bunch of Republican national fundraisers a few years ago?

Perhaps, but in the 2004 election he also "agreed to headline a fund-raiser for Senator John F. Kerry [D-MA] on June 21."

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash2b.htm

Brady appears to be eyeing politics with a foot in each camp. If he's thinking he'll run in his home (NoCal) or in Mass. he's probably thinking Democrat.

Isn't Kerry married to the Kraft family? Doesn't Robert Kraft own the Patriots?

I think I might be on to something.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom