Brees cap hit! (1 Viewer)

Yes I did i read all of it. But the issue at hand is a very important one and shouldn't be lost in a thread about something that doesn't have to do with anything about the saints (which is what this whole website is about) which is what I was asking about.

I hear ya bro, sorry if I came off as if I was attacking. Just tired of these Brees Brady threads :hihi: Guess its my fault because I live on sr.com :covri:

Trolling?

Also, these exact ideas were discussed in the two threads about Brady's contract and Brees, etc.

I think the reasonable consensus is that Brees will probably have his contract extended in 2015, just before the season.

Brady's deal was unique as it was all about setting up guaranteed money and in a way, making him a better value and harder to cut.

I guess my question was does the whole Brady taking more guaranteed money thus making a smaller cap hit on his team make a difference to what Brees would do or what Evans could do to help our team?

We need the cap space now why would we wait until 2015 to restructure Brees contract? i wasn't talking about an extension

I hear ya bro, sorry if I came off as if I was attacking. Just tired of these Brees Brady threads :hihi: Guess its my fault because I live on sr.com :covri:

Its cool no worries from here, Im used to getting attacked and if i say something back I usually get a warning from a mod or something. I also spend a lot of time on SR but when i see something that i would like peoples thoughts and opinions on that was brought up before but it was something that got lost in pages of old threads from comments and reply's but instead i believed this subject needed its own thread.
When i read all the old threads i never saw anyone speak of all of our big money guys, not just Brees. i have been thinking this for a while that if we gave some incentive to some of these big money guys they may take a restructure and help the team out on cap space which is the main goal so we can sign FAs or resign our own guys or really anything.

Got 30 mil for signing his name, and more money over the next 2 years than he would have gotten.....yes...a raise. Not to mention a total of 57 million guaranteed if he is on the roster at the end of the 2014 season.

He took a deal that is less than market value. Here is how the deal breaks down:

(1) Brady would have made $15m in 2013 and $15m in 2014. These salaries were converted to a signing bonus plus he will make $1m in 2013 and $2m in 2015.

(2) Brady's contract is extended 3 years through 2017. The salaries are $7m, $8m, and $9m that are guaranteed ONLY for injury meaning he can be cut or retire and not paid these.

So while you say he got more money, the Pats just guaranteed his salaries for the next two years (which he would have gotten anyways) and for doing so they got 3 year $27m extension with only $3m fully guaranteed and the rest guaranteed against injury.

That is a really good deal for the Pats. Brady could have played out his current contract over the next two years, collected his $30m and then signed a new contract in free agency with much more guaranteed than the $3m fully guaranteed and $24m guaranteed against injury.

It's a good deal for both. I don't think anyone questions that. The question is why does he look like such a hero? It's played like he actually gave back money.

He took the lump sum payout now, and still guaranteed himself the long term deal. He's genius, and the pats are genius too. Lets talk abut how smart they all are, not how much of a savior Brady is. That's my only problem. And yes, it's because for him to be the Hero, someone else has got to be the villain. We all know where that's been lately.

I guess my question was does the whole Brady taking more guaranteed money thus making a smaller cap hit on his team make a difference to what Brees would do or what Evans could do to help our team?

We need the cap space now why would we wait until 2015 to restructure Brees contract? i wasn't talking about an extension

Because Brees still has a ton of guaranteed money left on his current contract, so he's not going to just let that go away. I think Brady was mostly out of guaranteed money.

It's been established many times that just cutting Smith and Vilma almost erase all of our cap problems. Then other players contracts are much easier to re-structure to give some bonus money now to lower our cap hit and get us where we need to be. It's not out of the question that Drew could do a slight restructure, but he won't be doing a Tom Brady special until 2015 in my not so humble opinion. I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong.

I don't want Smith or Vilma cut, but that's just the financial reality. I hope they can sign friendly deals.

Brady is on his last leg. He needs to give up some cash to even have his team be a contender now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom