Brees contract details (1 Viewer)

The dead money from previous years is additional to that right ? (19 mil)

The dead money from previous years is additional to that right ? (19 mil)

Check the previous post from Sportrac

It appears to be a $23.65 M cap hit in 2020. Then $11.5 dead cap split between 2022 and 2023.

And if he retires after this year, “The Saints will save $25M cash, but they’ll still take on a $22.65M dead cap hit, $13.5M savings.”

Bottom line, it’s a ridiculously team-friendly deal.

It is great to have him back and that is a great deal, I feared we would get hammered for 2 years after he departed.

WTG Loomis! Now sign Taysom.

It's fairly extraordinary to give that much of a discount to a team. Only Brady did something similar in New England the past several years.

How long before the NFL closes the loophole of voidable years?

They just signed a new CBA, so I'd expect not until that expires.

It is a loophole, but the team does pay the money, and it does hit against the cap eventually, so it isn't a huge loophole.

Also, the team could just do the same thing by making the years non-voidable but making the base salaries so high that the team would be forced to cut him anyway. Voidable years is just a cleaner way of doing that.

I don’t think they will becauseultimately, like any other deal, the team will pay the price.

For instance, the Patriots are having to do it right now on the Brady deal.

It’s partially why I get annoyed when people say “the salary cap is a myth.” It’s not. Teams always pay All the guaranteed money outside of extreme circumstances. But deals like this one with Brees help the team because the cap should, in theory, be much higher when you’re paying it off (unlike the Patriots current situation with Brady).

there is a difference in the way a roster bonus is applied. Roster bonus counts toward the cap in its entirety in the year it is payed. So if it is set for this year, that explains the 2 mil base salary. That way they do not take that hit if they cut him next year.

In effect, that makes this a one year contract I think. They are finding a way out of getting hit on the back end if you ask me.

They just signed a new CBA, so I'd expect not until that expires.

It is a loophole, but the team does pay the money, and it does hit against the cap eventually, so it isn't a huge loophole.

Also, the team could just do the same thing by making the years non-voidable but making the base salaries so high that the team would be forced to cut him anyway. Voidable years is just a cleaner way of doing that.

Beat me to it, lol.

Roster bonuses basically say, "if you are still on the team when the new league year begins (typically in early March each year), we will pay you a bonus of X dollars." Unlike signing bonuses, roster bonuses are accounted for in their entirety in the year which they are paid.

Typically, roster bonuses are given to players who meet any of these conditions: a history of injury, unproven players and players with dramatic increases in base salary from one year to another. This allows a team to cut ties with a player for these reasons and avoid having to account for their salaries, while giving the player a moderately binding promise of a lump-sum payout at the beginning of a league year.

all this makes this an extremely "team friendly" deal. Brees is not making us give up the future in order to let him play one more year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom