Brees contract details (1 Viewer)

its payed this year. Him playing for 2 mil this year allows them to apply that roster bonus.

this isn't the first time Loomis has used Roster Bonus instead of Signing Bonus. Unless the new CBA has changed how they are applied.
It was reported that the roster bonus is being treated as a signing bonus for cap purposes (which means it is spread over the 4 years of the contract).

I don’t think they will becauseultimately, like any other deal, the team will pay the price.

For instance, the Patriots are having to do it right now on the Brady deal.

It’s partially why I get annoyed when people say “the salary cap is a myth.” It’s not. Teams always pay All the guaranteed money outside of extreme circumstances. But deals like this one with Brees help the team because the cap should, in theory, be much higher when you’re paying it off (unlike the Patriots current situation with Brady).
I understand that and given we have Loomis and an aging HOF QB, it is an advantage to use it the way he does. However, the loophole is that the cap is an annual limit, not a limit over a group of years. As such, the teams that use this are basically circumventing the annual limits by pushing some of the cap to a future year. Some GMs could use it feeling that they may not be here in the year that they have to pay the piper so it would not affect them. They would get a better chance to build a winner now and if it does not work, leave the mess for the next guy.

It was reported that the roster bonus is being treated as a signing bonus for cap purposes (which means it is spread over the 4 years of the contract).

i saw that In the tweet but I’m not convinced. I mean why not just make it a signing bonus. I would almost bet money with Loomis that there is a reason to call it a roster bonus.

wow very good deal for Brees and the saints.

I don’t think they will becauseultimately, like any other deal, the team will pay the price.

For instance, the Patriots are having to do it right now on the Brady deal.

It’s partially why I get annoyed when people say “the salary cap is a myth.” It’s not. Teams always pay All the guaranteed money outside of extreme circumstances. But deals like this one with Brees help the team because the cap should, in theory, be much higher when you’re paying it off (unlike the Patriots current situation with Brady).

Correct, the Saints have mastered the concept of "borrowing money from future years." Basically, the credit card bill never comes due if you keep using future money to pay for the current things you want.

That's the advantage of having a CPA as a GM and a guy that used to make a living approving NFL contracts as the guy managing the cap (Khai Harley). Between the two of them, they can find any loophole possible.

I see now they're taking the voidable year concept to the next level, and tacking on two fake years this time instead of one, in order to spread out cap hits even more. Genius.

This is really his last deal, and his last year. If Taysom is our next QB for 3 years or so we can sign him to an extension. And he will have more snaps as a passer this year.
Should be a fun year!

Brady going to TB and coming to the NFC South will probably drive Brees to play more seasons. I think the 2 H2H games per season and direct competition for the NFC South title and then NFC title will probably lead to Brees playing at least as long at Brady does.

i saw that In the tweet but I’m not convinced. I mean why not just make it a signing bonus. I would almost bet money with Loomis that there is a reason to call it a roster bonus.
I think there are additional protections with signing bonuses and the ability to delay the actual cash payment for a period of time. Think about it, why would they make it a roster bonus allocated to the current year and then add 2 voidable years? The reason for voidable years is to spread a bonus over those years. There is no other reason to include them if not for that purpose.

I see now they're taking the voidable year concept to the next level, and tacking on two fake years this time instead of one, in order to spread out cap hits even more. Genius.
His prior contract also had two voidable years... 2020 and 2021, which have been pushed out to 2022 and 2023 under the contract he signed today.

They just signed a new CBA, so I'd expect not until that expires.

It is a loophole, but the team does pay the money, and it does hit against the cap eventually, so it isn't a huge loophole.

Also, the team could just do the same thing by making the years non-voidable but making the base salaries so high that the team would be forced to cut him anyway. Voidable years is just a cleaner way of doing that.
How long before the NFL closes the loophole of voidable years?

Wouldn’t matter. If they did then teams would just add a ridiculous roster bonus that forces a cut or new deal.

I think there are additional protections with signing bonuses and the ability to delay the actual cash payment for a period of time. Think about it, why would they make it a roster bonus allocated to the current year and then add 2 voidable years? The reason for voidable years is to spread a bonus over those years. There is no other reason to include them if not for that purpose.

valid point. I do think this is his last year and I do think we are taking a hit next year. It will just be interesting to see how big of a hit. I think a very smartly crafted contract with Hill will help ease that pain some.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom