Brees contract extension could mean a trade for Oline or something big. (1 Viewer)

Please stop it with your false/incomplete narrative. We've discussed this ad nausium in other threads. If you weigh Brees' $30 million cap hit vs our dead money, which is $32 million, you'll easily see that we can have Drew and STILL field a good team once we clear that dead money. That dead money isn't from pushing back contracts. It's from Browner, Galette, Lewis, and a couple other players that aren't on the team. Drew's money that was pushed back is factored into his $30 million cap hit.

I feel like Galette killed us the most. We lost his production and still have to pay him. All cuz he wanted to be a knucklehead

Well if we are getting Evans back then I would like to see us trade a RB for a CB. Unless we know we can use one of our safeties there if someone goes down.

6 RB, from what I understand

Ingram- Bell Cow
Spiller- Joker
Hightower- Insurance for Ingram
Murphey- Special Teams Return Man
Lasco- - Special Teams
Cadet- Insurance for Spiller

We are counting on guys getting injured is my take.

Fair assessment. Ingram has only stayed Healthy for 16 games in 1 season of his NFL Career which makes a backup(Hightower) important and a backup to the backup(Lasco) that can play ST's just as important. Ingram has proven to be relatively average at everything.....which I'm fine with but he needs to stay healthy for the entire season for us to see the benefits of what he can do in the passing/running game.

Well, for one, a Brees extension won't save a ton of cap space this year, unless somehow it's a tiny signing bonus (unlikely), due to the dead money that sticks around from his old contract and one time kicking the can down the road by Loomis.

I'd estimate 4-7M in space. But, the team may want to front load it and make next year lower in cap hit, so when the dead money comes off the shelf, they have more to work with.

Or, they can keep the space for this year, to just carry over for next year.

It doesn't mean we'll make a move. That's likely done for this season. Don't expect a last minute savior.

Why are you only attacking me when I am agreeing with another poster (shouldn't you be attacking both of usl?).

Anyway, my post is about going on as is for this season and giving Brees a new contract when the season is over. How much of an impact are you getting this late in the season from players you would be bringing in? Minimal at best seeing how we are 4 days from kickoff. Just roll with what we have and pray for the best.

It is my understanding that the dead money has come from giving money to players who are no longer on the team. The money is dead because its the amount that they were guaranteed at the end of the contracts. We gave Graham, Browner, etc. big money deals where there was money pushed towards the end of the deal, and since we cut them we are stuck with the dead money. I am not sure where we are in disagreement on this issue.I am not talking about Drew being dead money. Why are we arguing about this?

I'm not attacking you. I'm correcting you post/false narrative. I didn't say anything about you personally.

You said "Pushing back money is what has gotten us into our current mess". That's inaccurate, at best. If you're going to be upset with the organization, do so with accurate information.

Put me in the camp that wants this to be a front loaded contract.

Depending on the length (originally stated as 4 new years, now hearing "short term"), it would be easy to keep it pretty balance. Every year around 20-25M,which in today's cap environment would be easy to navigate around that. Then a final year at 30M, which won't be so scary then. Less dead money on the books, we're ok again for a while overall.

There's only so much you can maneuver with big QB contracts. You can play with guarantees to minimize total dollars, but teams don't want to be on the hook for too much.

I'm not attacking you. I'm correcting you post/false narrative. I didn't say anything about you personally.

You said "Pushing back money is what has gotten us into our current mess". That's inaccurate, at best. If you're going to be upset with the organization, do so with accurate information.

Please correct me then (as I want to learn). What in Gallet, Browner, and Graham's contracts caused the dead money? I am saying that pushing back money is what got us into this mess. Should I break it out by saying that the bonuses owed to these guys in the later years of their contracts, are what are hurting us?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom