Brees contract extension could mean a trade for Oline or something big. (1 Viewer)

hardheadjungle

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
With Drew close to getting his extension before the season starts and now Grayson release this could only means we have something big coming to the team via trade . Only wishful thinking.

I don't think so.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">With the open roster spot, the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Saints?src=hash">#Saints</a> are expected to sign (long-time <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Saints?src=hash">#Saints</a>) G Jahri Evans, source said. A reunion.</p>&mdash; Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) <a href="https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/773542450459774976">September 7, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

With Drew close to getting his extension before the season starts and now Grayson release this could only means we have something big coming to the team via trade . Only wishful thinking.

Evans is pretty Big, over 300# I think:idunno:

Jahri was on the downside of his career the last time he was here, but also we were paying him 7mil per year. On a cheaper deal he is very serviceable.

I think it's smarter to try to keep his cap hit at $30m this year, sign Evans, and roll with it vs. make a trade that could cost draft picks + a chunk of cap.

That way we have so much freedom in the coming years with Brees number. I don't want to see us give him a low hit this year and push money to the backend.

This roster can compete now, the way it is.

I think it's smarter to try to keep his cap hit at $30m this year, sign Evans, and roll with it vs. make a trade that could cost draft picks + a chunk of cap.

That way we have so much freedom in the coming years with Brees number. I don't want to see us give him a low hit this year and push money to the backend.

This roster can compete now, the way it is.

Agreed. Pushing back money is what has gotten us into our current mess. Lets let things play out as they are currently. Besides, how much of an impact are you expecting from a player brought in 4 days before the regular season starts?

Keep your freedom, work a deal with Drew in the offseason, and go from there, any trade you make now will only stunt what you already have going.

Agreed. Pushing back money is what has gotten us into our current mess. Lets let things play out as they are currently. Besides, how much of an impact are you expecting from a player brought in 4 days before the regular season starts?

Keep your freedom, work a deal with Drew in the offseason, and go from there, any trade you make now will only stunt what you already have going.

Current mess has been brought to you by dead money from Graham, Gallette, Browner, et al. Not so much so the shuffling and pushing back of monies.

Jahri was on the downside of his career the last time he was here, but that was because we were paying him 7mil per year. On a cheaper deal he is very serviceable.

He had also been battling injuries, while playing through them. If he's healthy, he may still be better than Lelito. One can hope.

It's a puzzle.....but one that's hard to put together.

6 RBs and a FB.....I mean.....it seams like it would make more since to drop and RB to sign Evans. And it couldn't have been about money IF the Brees deal is going through....because what person would need both the cap a Brees deal would free up AND Nightwing being released?

Or maybe extending Brees three years is making it apparent that the timing just won't work out for GG. So part ways now and find a better prospect.

I dunno. Doesn't make sense yet to me. But I'm not worried. I'll wait until the dust settles to see the big picture.

6 RB, from what I understand

Ingram- Bell Cow
Spiller- Joker
Hightower- Insurance for Ingram
Murphey- Special Teams Return Man
Lasco- - Special Teams
Cadet- Insurance for Spiller

We are counting on guys getting injured is my take.

Please stop it with your false/incomplete narrative. We've discussed this ad nausium in other threads. If you weigh Brees' $30 million cap hit vs our dead money, which is $32 million, you'll easily see that we can have Drew and STILL field a good team once we clear that dead money. That dead money isn't from pushing back contracts. It's from Browner, Galette, Lewis, and a couple other players that aren't on the team. Drew's money that was pushed back is factored into his $30 million cap hit.

Idk how Jahri looks now but if it gets Lelito or Peat off the field im all for it. I was so uneasy going into this season, this helps a little

Please stop it with your false/incomplete narrative. We've discussed this ad nausium in other threads. If you weigh Brees' $30 million cap hit vs our dead money, which is $32 million, you'll easily see that we can have Drew and STILL field a good team once we clear that dead money. That dead money isn't from pushing back contracts. It's from Browner, Galette, Lewis, and a couple other players that aren't on the team. Drew's money that was pushed back is factored into his $30 million cap hit.

Why are you only attacking me when I am agreeing with another poster (shouldn't you be attacking both of usl?).

Anyway, my post is about going on as is for this season and giving Brees a new contract when the season is over. How much of an impact are you getting this late in the season from players you would be bringing in? Minimal at best seeing how we are 4 days from kickoff. Just roll with what we have and pray for the best.

It is my understanding that the dead money has come from giving money to players who are no longer on the team. The money is dead because its the amount that they were guaranteed at the end of the contracts. We gave Graham, Browner, etc. big money deals where there was money pushed towards the end of the deal, and since we cut them we are stuck with the dead money. I am not sure where we are in disagreement on this issue.I am not talking about Drew being dead money. Why are we arguing about this?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom