Brees contract question (1 Viewer)

saveFerris9

" Still Shaking it boss "
Reaction score
I have seen many posters say Drew would never play for the little over a million he is due this year . My question is can he ? By that I mean can he do it under NFL rules ? If he was thinking of playing , the silence on the subject is making me question it . He will get his money you can bet on it I bet he gets payed for the next few years with this restructure . Who is to say he would not due it ? Yea this year its for peanuts but if he gets more beyond this year then what is one act of sacrifice( playing for peanuts ) to help the team chase one more ring and keep the core of team intact post Brees ? I mean lets say he plays this year and we make a move up in the draft for say , Mac Jones ? Would anyone be against Drew mentoring him for one year ? I mean long term thats the best case scenario in my eyes .

I have seen many posters say Drew would never play for the little over a million he is due this year . My question is can he ? By that I mean can he do it under NFL rules ? If he was thinking of playing , the silence on the subject is making me question it . He will get his money you can bet on it I bet he gets payed for the next few years with this restructure . Who is to say he would not due it ? Yea this year its for peanuts but if he gets more beyond this year then what is one act of sacrifice( playing for peanuts ) to help the team chase one more ring and keep the core of team intact post Brees ? I mean lets say he plays this year and we make a move up in the draft for say , Mac Jones ? Would anyone be against Drew mentoring him for one year ? I mean long term thats the best case scenario in my eyes .

Yeah, he definitely could. His contract, as currently written, is legal.

But there is less than a 0.000000000000001% chance of it happening.

He can mentor Mac Jones as a coach. Yes he could play for $1 Million.... but why would he? He's had a major injury in the last 2 years, I highly doubt he suits up for that little.

He can mentor Mac Jones as a coach. Yes he could play for $1 Million.... but why would he? He's had a major injury in the last 2 years, I highly doubt he suits up for that little.

Yeah, not to mention the fact the he has been a leader in the players union and the former top player rep during the strike IIRC. No way a guy that was that involved in the as a player rep in the NFLPA can turn around and play for that much less than his market value.

I was just thinking about this whole situation(too much time on my hands i guess lol) but if we can't get a upgrade like Russell wilson then maybe we should draft a qb, Drew comes back for one last year if healthy and have taysom do his thing! I just can't warmup to Winston as our qb for some reason. i never cared for his goofy personality , especially as a team leader! Now could drew play for 1 mil yes t hat's league minimum i think for his situation. I just don't think it makes financial sense to him. I really felt for him this past season when he got hurt. He needs to start thinking about his future outside of the game and his family........................anyway that's my 2cents

Um, you do know that Brees is already contracted to work for NBC, right? Why would he stick around to mentor a rookie?

SFIAH

Um, you do know that Brees is already contracted to work for NBC, right? Why would he stick around to mentor a rookie?

SFIAH
Yea man I'm with you. Doesn't make sense. My point was why would he stick around for a measly $1 million? Bad wording I guess, but I'm pretty sure he's gone. Especially to possibly get hurt again.

He counts $12.5 /M this year. If he retires before 1June that jumps to $24/M.

He has rotated cuff injury that needs surgery. I had that surgery when I was 44, it took 3-4 months to "rehab and recovery".

So, he'll have the surgery and sometime in June he will say rehab is taking to long and retire. At that point, the Saints will gain $1/M in cap space.

I was just thinking about this whole situation(too much time on my hands i guess lol) but if we can't get a upgrade like Russell wilson then maybe we should draft a qb, Drew comes back for one last year if healthy and have taysom do his thing! I just can't warmup to Winston as our qb for some reason. i never cared for his goofy personality , especially as a team leader! Now could drew play for 1 mil yes t hat's league minimum i think for his situation. I just don't think it makes financial sense to him. I really felt for him this past season when he got hurt. He needs to start thinking about his future outside of the game and his family........................anyway that's my 2cents
Well, if Jameis is the qb, will you warm up then?! I guess no one can change, right?! Maybe that's who he is, a "goofy" guy, but SP seems to think he is a Leader; that's his $0.02 on Jameis!!!

I know they restructured his contract to make it a low base salary to help with the cap, but isn’t he still owed like $20 mil in guaranteed money from the previous contract we’ve been pushing back every year? If so and he does play he wouldn’t be playing for just 1mil

I know they restructured his contract to make it a low base salary to help with the cap, but isn’t he still owed like $20 mil in guaranteed money from the previous contract we’ve been pushing back every year? If so and he does play he wouldn’t be playing for just 1mil

He's already been paid that money, it was a bonus... it just hasn't hit the cap yet. Just because we "kick" money down the road for cap purposes doesn't mean that money hasn't been paid out yet.

He could very well play for vet. min and not so sure why many seem to think he wouldn’t.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom