Brees departure good for San Diego!! (1 Viewer)

ThaMain1

Crash and Dash
Reaction score
As per

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...lug=cr-movesnotmade111506&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

The San Diego Chargers re-signing Drew Brees
Sound crazy? Yes, it's hard to believe that we can look back and call the decision to let Brees walk a good one. But it was considering all the factors. First, people who look at Brees and say he got away for nothing are incorrect. In fact, the Chargers are expecting to get a third-round pick from the league in compensation for Brees' departure in free agency. That’s only slightly less than what Minnesota got for Daunte Culpepper in trade (second round, 51st overall). But beyond the compensation aspect, Chargers general manager A.J. Smith was right to be confident in what he had in young backup Philip Rivers. Rivers has not only stepped in and put up a 100.3 passer rating through nine games, but he has made a seamless transition into a leadership role. Would the Chargers still be one of the AFC's Super Bowl favorites with Brees still on board? Yes. But by making the decision to let him go, the Chargers have jumpstarted the inevitable transition to Rivers, and finally moved on from the awkward debate that hung over the franchise all of 2005.

Not calling this read insulting but if we continue like we are under Drew's leadership San Diego will be getting a first!!!!!:ezbill: j/k

So far, it's been a great move for both teams.

That is, unless Rivers chokes in the playoffs and Brees leads us to the Super Bowl. :)

So far, it's been a great move for both teams.

That is, unless Rivers chokes in the playoffs and Brees leads us to the Super Bowl. :)
Completly agree. Rivers is doing a solid job for SD and we all know Drew is the leader this team has always needed. With our young team and some shoring up on defense I look for this team to be performing every year!!!!

1) If I'm not mistaken, a 3rd round compensatory pick is the max the Chargers could get, and it could be late in that round, if they get it.

2) Regardless of the capability of Rivers, regardless, regardless of the 'business' decision I still think the Chargers displayed disrespect toward Brees in his situation, and consequently, disrespect to the honor and loyalty of the game, but it wasn't an easy circumstance for them, nonetheless. But regarding the 'business' decision, considering his strong desire to remain with the team at the time, Brees probably would have been willing to take significantly less (than what he got from the Saints) to stay with the Chargers (and start)...with the hope of seeing the fullfillment of his dream, voiced at the Pro-Bowl, of him hoisting the Lombardi with Tomlinson. But the Chargers low-balled him to move him down the road.

It would be neat to see Brees hoisting that Lombardi in a Saints uniform now.

Brees departure good for San Diego!!

& it was even better for New Orleans.....I'm glad everything has worked out for both teams.

How could the Chargers not beleive in him enough that he would come back from the injury??
Didn't they see his heart and leadership skills up close and in person???
Heck, I honestly believe that if Drew lost his whole throwing arm, that he would be back in two years throwing almost a good with his "other" arm.
I'm serious!!
You can't put a price on heart, drive, determination, and mostly LEADERSHIP ability!!!
The Chargers could have certainly handled the situation better.
Can you imagine how determined Drew would be if we played them in the SB???

Be careful what you wish for. If not this year, with the direction both franchises are headed, it's not out of the realm to see this exact matchup in 2007.

How could the Chargers not beleive in him enough that he would come back from the injury??
Didn't they see his heart and leadership skills up close and in person???
Heck, I honestly believe that if Drew lost his whole throwing arm, that he would be back in two years throwing almost a good with his "other" arm.
I'm serious!!
You can't put a price on heart, drive, determination, and mostly LEADERSHIP ability!!!
The Chargers could have certainly handled the situation better.

It had nothing to do with it. Here's the shakeout:

Drew was drafted before the current owner(or GM) took over. He had that one bad year, so AJ drafted Rivers. From that point, AJ felt like an idiot because Rivers wasn't starting. Drew gets injured, AJ takes the opportunity to put HIS draft pick in. Brees was from an old regime in San Diego.

1)
It would be neat to see Brees hoisting that Lombardi in a Saints uniform now.

In his first year as a Saint would be nice.

Be careful what you wish for. If not this year, with the direction both franchises are headed, it's not out of the realm to see this exact matchup in 2007.

That is a wish I think everyone would not mind seeing come true, no matter who the opponent is.

The fact of the matter is, the Chargers should not get credit for putting themselves in this situation. While now, it is still a wash because both are playing great, it still wasnt a neccesity to get Rivers.

A lot of his critics say his shortcomings are: short, lack of arm strength, couldn't throw in stride, fumbles easily, throws into coverage when being pressed. When Brees came to NO, his play elevates to a higher degree. Even his critics in SD now admit he has changed. Maybe Brees wants to play better and harder to prove his critics wrong, or maybe Payton's system works to his strength. Anyway, what is done is done and I hope Brees and the Saints can work together to the Super Bowl.

The fact of the matter is, the Chargers should not get credit for putting themselves in this situation. While now, it is still a wash because both are playing great, it still wasnt a neccesity to get Rivers.

Did you see how Brees was playing when they drafted Rivers?

Contrary to popular belief Brees stunk it up his first few years to the point where he was almost a bust. Hes only been good the past 2.

Did you see how Brees was playing when they drafted Rivers?

Contrary to popular belief Brees stunk it up his first few years to the point where he was almost a bust. Hes only been good the past 2.

No. He stunk it up his third year, the year the Chargers sucked bad enough they were drafting #1 overall. You can't put that performance all on him.

His first year starting (his second year in the NFL) he did pretty good for a first year starter. 61% completion percentage, 17 TDs and 16 INTs (not a lot considerin 526 attempts). And that team wasn't particularly good either (8-8).

njot many QB's can light it up their first year in the league. Brees will do fine. Both teams won this battle. The Saints got what they needed, a QB to step in and bring this team forward. Chargers got what they needed, their first rounder playing time. I kinda hope if we do meet them in the Bowl then it be next year after our team gells and we improve our defense because LT would light us up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom